Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT - XFinity vs FiOS

I don't think Verizon Wireless is the same as FIOS. Xfinity does not offer wireless (cellphone) service so bundling with Verizon Wireless, I suppose, seemed mutually beneficial to both companies net/net (despite the fact that bundle may lose Verizon a FIOS subscription theoretically and gives Verizon revenue through the Xfinity/Verizon bundle).

Bottomline is, I think that bundle is Xfinity's package (carried through Xfinity's cable network not FIOS' fiber optic network) plus a cellphone/wireless package from VerizonWireless. So it is basically a 'quadruple play', Xfinity's Triple play (home phone, internet, TV) plus wireless service from Verizon.

I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't think Verizon Wireless is the same as FIOS. Xfinity does not offer wireless (cellphone) service so bundling with Verizon Wireless, I suppose, seemed mutually beneficial to both companies net/net (despite the fact that bundle may lose Verizon a FIOS subscription theoretically and gives Verizon revenue through the Xfinity/Verizon bundle).

Bottomline is, I think that bundle is Xfinity's package (carried through Xfinity's cable network not FIOS' fiber optic network) plus a cellphone/wireless package from VerizonWireless. So it is basically a 'quadruple play', Xfinity's Triple play (home phone, internet, TV) plus wireless service from Verizon.

I could be wrong.
    The material that he gave me specifically says that they are using fiber to push internet & cable to their customers and that fiber was initially laid out by Verizon. I did a little searching and the Dept of Justice actually just ok'ed this last week...so, it's a pretty new type of service.

I dont know if I'm going to switch yet or not...it is intriguing and what they offered me is definitely a lot more than what I'm getting with FiOS and it is about $20 cheaper per month.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Ok, sounds cool. Might be limited to certain areas. Maybe including Verizon Wireless in their bundle was part of the negotiation because Wireless service doesn't need cable or fiber optics. Plus the link you supplied describes the Xfinity component of the bundle, and it is the same as it always has been (over cable...Powerboost, etc is through cable), but maybe it varies by location. If you can get fiber optic lines but Xfinity prices/channels, it might be the way to go. The customer service is poor, but I don't think it is that great at FIOS either; is basically a wash, imo, from what I hear (my neighbor has FIOS and her outages and customer service has been horrific, especially during the Verizon strike)

Blog Entries

FiOS has been kind of a bust with Verizon though. I work with a couple of Verizon IT guys and they've been telling me for about 6 months now that Verizon is going to start weening itself off of FiOS because they aren't seeing the return of the money they initially invested in the infrastructure.

Verizon's bread and butter will always be cellular technology. So, I'm not surprised to see them selling home TV/Internet services to XFinity.

They offered me 50 megs of internet (so realistically like 25-30 megs) guaranteed (am getting about 10-12 with FiOS right now), free HD DVR, HBO, Encore, & Starz included for duration of service, and about 100 more channels including HD channels. Furthermore, FiOS' on-demand kind of sucks and all of their movies are pretty expensive. I was going to rent an old movie...I think maybe Empire Records or something like that and they only had it in SD and it was $9.99 to rent it.

I can buy that movie for less than 10 bucks, haha.

I think I am going to switch and I'll just deal with the customer service as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Brings me to another point...is direct tv going to block out ravens games? Am i going to have to get sunday ticket or something?
    The Ravens/Titans games get blacked out here because we're technically in the Titans market and the games are on local TV, so NFL Sunday ticket can't show them. We decided to get east/west channels instead of local channels.

That said, NFL Sunday ticket is the greatest invention ever. I watch the Ravens at noon, get my pick of best games in the afternoon, or simply flip around watching all of them. Primetime games are even better because I have eight hours of football flipping to go through.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The Ravens/Titans games get blacked out here because we're technically in the Titans market and the games are on local TV, so NFL Sunday ticket can't show them. We decided to get east/west channels instead of local channels.

That said, NFL Sunday ticket is the greatest invention ever. I watch the Ravens at noon, get my pick of best games in the afternoon, or simply flip around watching all of them. Primetime games are even better because I have eight hours of football flipping to go through.

Yea, direct TV has really cornered the market on that one.

DirecTV has to follow game rules just like every network / provider.

They show whatever games are regularly aired in your market. Sunday Ticket is an extra and they do not black out games that are otherwise on the air in your market.

id be highly surprised if there was such a thing as worse customer service then Xfinity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    id be highly surprised if there was such a thing as worse customer service then Xfinity.
    Just try calling FIOS.

In all honesty, these companies are spending so much money on the product they skip other areas such as customer service. I've heard about Xfinity too but don't know about it because I've never had to call them. That puts them up on Fios right there.

When I was switching a guy was on another board who was a Verizon supervisor and dropped Fios because of customer service.

None of them are so great. All their money is going into the tech stuff.

I haven't had FIOS yet(not available in my neighborhood), but....

with Xfinity,
    Yoiu will be on hold a half hour minimum
    they will NOT be able to fix your problem
    they will schedule an apt
    there Tech may or may not show up at all, but it certainly won't be within their specified window, that will always require you to take time off from work.
    The tech will simply bring a new box, and likely has really no idea what he's doing. He will call in to his tech support several times.
    And there is at least a 50% chance that somone will forget to log in the new box, and within a week your service will be cut off and you will need to call back again, only to find out they still have you listed with the old box.
    You will get used to unplugging and plugging in your cable modem for internet. Up to several times an hour when it's bad. As little as once or twice a day when it's good.
    Your price will change every roughly 90 days, and people will call you with new offers that sound astonishingly similar to what you just had... You may have to add phone if you want a cheaper price...
    But the real kicker.
    You will never hear I'm sorry, please, thank you, nothing. You will never have build any equity through repeated business. After a decade or more, a simple request for the cancellation department will get you the cancellation department. they really couldn't possibly care less if you continued your service.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 08-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Ive never had to unplug my cable modem to re-charge it, not once.

You don't have to call anyone if you have that prob. Just go into the nearest
    comcast office, take the old modem with you and they will give you a new one
    or even a new box if you need it.

Just turn in the old equipment. Anyone should be able to unhook the modem
    and cable boxes and re-hook em.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ive never had to unplug my cable modem to re-charge it, not once.

You don't have to call anyone if you have that prob. Just go into the nearest
    comcast office, take the old modem with you and they will give you a new one
    or even a new box if you need it.

Just turn in the old equipment. Anyone should be able to unhook the modem
    and cable boxes and re-hook em.
    Comcast isn't that local for me.
    I've had 6 or 7 different modems in the past decade. My problme has been consistant in 3 seperate dwellings in the same rough area of Owings mIlls. I have needed, on average, 2 power cyclings a day for a decade, to simply have high speed internet. Some days I need to cycle the power almost every time i change web pages. On those days, I steal wirelessly from my neighbors.