Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT - XFinity vs FiOS

Just looking for general input here...Verizon has teamed up with XFinity now and I was talking to a comcast rep the other day and they offered me a significantly better deal than what I currently have with FiOS.

I was just wondering about some of the experiences here with XFinity vs FiOS and if it would be worth it to switch.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: OT - XFinity vs FiOS

DirecTV is the way to go, IMO.

Superior picture quality and many more options when watching sporting events.

Bundling is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    DirecTV is the way to go, IMO.

Superior picture quality and many more options when watching sporting events.

Bundling is overrated.
    To piggyback on Houston, directv has awesome customer service which to me is the worst part of comcast (they had to change their product name to xfinityto distract from it being the same crappy company with the same crappy company). I don't have any experience with fios.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries
    How is the internet and what do you pay per month if you dont mind me asking?

I pay about $110 a month for fios and that is just internet and tv...we dont need a home phone with cells...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post

To piggyback on Houston, directv has awesome customer service which to me is the worst part of comcast (they had to change their product name to xfinityto distract from it being the same crappy company with the same crappy company). I don't have any experience with fios.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Yea, every consumer report i read talks about how disappointing their customer service is. When my wife was going to hopkins she got comcast in her apt and their customer service was terrible and their techs werent much better.

I don't know about prices up there, but we pay 60 dollars a month (roughly) for basic cable and internet. Of course we don't actually use the cable part unless the Ravens are playing the Titans because DirectTV will block it out since it's local.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries
    Brings me to another point...is direct tv going to block out ravens games? Am i going to have to get sunday ticket or something?

Blog Entries

Most likely you'll get the games in Northern VA. If not the Sunday ticket is either free your first year, or it's $199 for the year.

Directv is the way to go as Houston and Pyite said. I have them and use cable internet.

Blog Entries

Ive had all 3 and while DirecTV is very good it costs more than Xfinity and doesn't have the same amount of programs.

I dropped it for FIOS and was sorry. The Harford County area has a lot of issues
    with fios like cutting out all the time. It took 4 days to schedule them to fix it
    there were so many out. My phone, TV and PC were out at the same time.

Never get all three at once because everything is out. It's a good thing I had a cell to call out on. Also, I used up 200 mins just scheduling them to come out.
    They put you on hold. Even the tech on hold for 30 mins when he was fixing it.

When I turned it in at the mall there were 20 people in line returning the fios
    boxes. I think it is just the Harford County area. I posted this months ago.

I was scared to death to get Comcast and Xfinity but my nephews and sister have it and it never cut out so I got it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries

And I've been very happy. They gave me the NFL Network which I didn't have on the others plus all the sports networks plus HBO and SHOW TIME plus all the other channels for $80 pr mo.

I was paying $150 for fios as my friends are around here.
    Xfinity has not cut out once. I have since discontinued my house phone and use the cell.

In addition to getting HBO AND SHOWTIME there is XFINITY ON DEMAND. They have tons of free movies plus
    pay for view. I use both.

They also have HBO ON DEMAND where you can watch all their old movies and series and shows for free. I went
    back to watching THE WIRE which I had a bit part in and
    THE SOPRANOS.

On SHOWTIME ON DEMAND Ive been watching the
    HOMELAND series again.

Between my CDs, you tube and HULU and Xfinity, there is always a good movie to watch. I have insomnia so I
    need all that and the internet to get me thru the night.

I beg to differ with HR, Xfinity has the most superior
    picture I ever had and I have one of the original HD TVs
    that came out.

I'm about to buy a new 42" SONY HDMI so I can watch
    HULU and YOU TUBE movies on the big screen.

PS

I you live out of state than DirecTV is the best place to go with
    their Sunday Ticket but I hear that's pretty expensive. It used to be
    $200 pr mo extra but if you're a Ravens fan away from home you
    gotta pay to play-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm not that far away (Arlington, VA).

Thanks for the input AirFlacco. I had Comcast while I was in college in PA and I loved it, but their customer service has always been pretty terrible. That's what is really making me think about not switching at all.

The only issue I have with DirectTV is that I know from experience that weather and things can really interrupt the service.

Blog Entries

One of the reasons why I am asking for external input is because apparently FiOS and XFinity are merging and essentially, Verizon is "sub-letting" all of their pre-existing infrastructure to XFinity because of the money Verizon has lost due to the cost of laying fiber and "hooking up" certain areas that didn't have the infrastructure to begin with.

So, I guess XFinity is rolling out a "new" network package called X1 and that is basically going to be XFinity's version of fiber hook ups.

I like fiber ops because you don't really have those peaks and lulls when you have a lot of people on the same network. With cable, you can have those peaks and lulls.

It's funny because I called FiOS today and the guy was kind of being argumentative with me when I was telling him what the XFinity guy told me about them merging. The Xfinity guy gave me a website to check out:

www.verizonwireless.com/xfinity

It pretty much lays it all out right there and I gave that link to the FiOS guy and he was baffled. Didn't know what to say to me. He told me he had to go and that one of his managers (who also apparently had no idea about this) would be in touch with me about it.

I don't know if I'm going to switch or anything, but now I'm kind of curious about this! Haha.