Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: Any interest in Shawne Merriman?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Not really. The Eagles have ridiculous depth on the D-line and a really good passrush, including one of the leagues best in Trent Cole.

The Ravens lack pass rushing options and a player with the skillset he has shown in Sunny D would really add something to the defence.

Two teams got rid before he put it together, I really don't see what bearing that has on the player he is now, a player the Ravens could really use.
    It definitely has a bearing on the player he is now. It took him getting bounced from two teams before he realized what he needed to do in order to stick. Whether that be more effort on the field, off the field, in the weight room, in the film room...I can't honestly say, but the point is when he was a Raven he wasn't very good and he couldn't beat out the guys in front of him on the depth chart.

Barnes likely would have been cut from most teams with the way he played here.

And that Eagles team that had "ridiculous" depth...well, not in 2010 they didn't. They do now...but not in 2010. Sure, they had Trent Cole, but their next highest sack total was 6 with Juqua Parker who was a situational pass rusher. Barnes got beat out in Philly by guys like Daniel T'eo-Nesheim.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It definitely has a bearing on the player he is now. It took him getting bounced from two teams before he realized what he needed to do in order to stick. Whether that be more effort on the field, off the field, in the weight room, in the film room...I can't honestly say, but the point is when he was a Raven he wasn't very good and he couldn't beat out the guys in front of him on the depth chart.

Barnes likely would have been cut from most teams with the way he played here.

And that Eagles team that had "ridiculous" depth...well, not in 2010 they didn't. They do now...but not in 2010. Sure, they had Trent Cole, but their next highest sack total was 6 with Juqua Parker who was a situational pass rusher. Barnes got beat out in Philly by guys like Daniel T'eo-Nesheim.
    T'eo-Nesheim being a guy they spent a 3rd round pick on that year, you see them dropping a 3rd round pick? They also just spent a 1st rounder on Graham, and Daryl Tapp and Parker are decent rotational players. Never mind that the guy also seems a much better fit as a 34 OLB than a 43 DE.

what he needed to do in order to stick
    Or maybe he got the coaching to maximise his natural talent? Three teams saw the raw talent there to take a chance on him, and one was able to work with him to turn him into a productive player. If we're speculating about what he did differently, we should also speculate about what the teams did differently instead of assuming they did all they could, especially given Harbs' and his reputation for having a 'doghouse' which seems hard to escape from.

This is a bit of fluff and an aside from the Merriman topic really, but every time Barnes' name comes up inevitably the Eagles comment comes in shortly after like it is proof that a mistake wasn't made letting him go. Look at some of the players kept over him and I don't know. But it seems pretty clear that at the moment he'd be a considerable help to the Ravens D.
    Last edited by Lee Van Cleef; 08-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Re: Any interest in Shawne Merriman? (Merged)

I'm not interested in Merriman. But it was 8 full games since he blew out a couple ligaments in his knee.

But for the roids, how many times did he get popped? Once? And didn't he swear it was supplements?

In fairness, all the reports from Buffalo were that he looked better than he had in a couple years.

And I'm hearing he was let go because he wasn't worth a $4M roster bonus for simply a situational pass rusher.

Given the quality of the Bill's defensive line, that's at least understandable. I could see NE trying to get him for dirt cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    T'eo-Nesheim being a guy they spent a 3rd round pick on that year, you see them dropping a 3rd round pick? They also just spent a 1st rounder on Graham, and Daryl Tapp and Parker are decent rotational players. Never mind that the guy also seems a much better fit as a 34 OLB than a 43 DE.

Or maybe he got the coaching to maximise his natural talent? Three teams saw the raw talent there to take a chance on him, and one was able to work with him to turn him into a productive player. If we're speculating about what he did differently, we should also speculate about what the teams did differently instead of assuming they did all they could, especially given Harbs' and his reputation for having a 'doghouse' which seems hard to escape from.

This is a bit of fluff and an aside from the Merriman topic really, but every time Barnes' name comes up inevitably the Eagles comment comes in shortly after like it is proof that a mistake wasn't made letting him go. Look at some of the players kept over him and I don't know. But it seems pretty clear that at the moment he'd be a considerable help to the Ravens D.
    Maybe he would or maybe he wouldn't. We don't know. It's revisionist history. Taking 1 player and claiming that the coaching staff - at the time...gotta keep things in context, right? - made a mistake because now they're a good player? I just don't buy that.

Sure, you could claim that the coaching staff didn't do enough to get anything out of Barnes, but neither you or I know the degree of effort that was being put forth by either party (Ravens coaching staff vs Barnes). The point is that - at the time - Barnes was not the player that he is right now and the coaching staff felt that he wasn't going to be a contributor on the defense. Then you also have to factor in that he may just not have mentally been able to grasp the defenses while in Baltimore. His rookie year he played in 14 games and had 2 sacks. Rex's defense is complicated. His second year in Rex's defense he played in 13 games and had 0 sacks. His 3rd year was under Greg Mattison who hardly ever blitzed, so he lined up as a DE in a lot of sets and in 11 games he had 3 sacks. It's funny because for 2 years Kruger had about as much impact as Barnes did and damn near everyone called him a bust and wanted to see the Ravens cut him too. Maybe San Diego's defense is a lot less complicated than Baltimore's? Maybe it's more "user friendly" ?

Like many teams throughout the history of the NFL have done. Shoulda-woulda-coulda doesn't impact the here and now. That's the point.

The Falcons traded Brett Favre to Green Bay. Tampa Bay and Steve Young.

This is a "what have you done for me lately" game and at the time Barnes hadn't done anything for the Ravens and he didn't do anything for the Eagles either.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-21-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Any interest in Shawne Merriman? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Thank you thank you.

Sugar, BC - thank you as well.

I look forward to the days when my wife and I can sleep an entire night. I don't think either of us have slept more than 4 hours at a time since the little guy was born, haha.
    I'm in the same boat wicked, my wife and I have been doing shifts LOL.

Re: Ravens Still Interested in Merriman?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Wicked and Sugar, as a man who is old enough to be your father (or more?), I congratulate you two on being fathers this year. You're the type of men that society needs to shepherd youngsters into adulthood. BTW, did I say that I don't want Merriman on the Ravens? Well, I don't, but you guys will make the final 53 of male parents I am sure... Bc
    Thank you BC your knowledge and wisdom is truly appreciated. Everyday I look at my baby girl and I think of how wonderful it is that she's here in my life.