Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Still Interested in Merriman?

Ozzies masterful at building the back end of the roster and upgrading after others have been cut.
    IMO, that's the only way the ravens give him a sniff.
    But at this point I'd have to question if Merriman would help that much on Defense compared to a younger, healthy kid, that can also play STs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    Its a low risk high reward move. If he is healthy it will pay great dividends but if not there is not much risk involved.

Had we wanted Andre Carter we would have signed him by now unless we are waiting for the final cuts to see if any vets are cut for cap reasons.
    Andre Carter had quad surgery during the offseason and is working his way back, he may be picking his spots far as when to make himself available to workout for teams. Just because a player doesn't sign earlier in the offseason doesn't eliminate interest, it means they have their own physical and personal reasons for not making themselves available. It took a while for Braylon Edwards to make himself available since he was recovering from knee surgery, when he became healthy the Seahawks brought him in for a workout and signed him. People need to stop getting caught up in the name Shawne Merriman and focus on the fact that he is not Lights Out anymore. Some people also need to stop focusing on the UMD connection factor, I'm a UMD alum and I've accepted the fact that he may be finished. I'm choosing to think with my head on this one instead of my heart, my heart says to sign him because it would be a feel good move, that would be the wrong choice. I know the Ravens need pass rush depth but I'm begging you guys to think of someone else who can physically help the Ravens not just a name guy. I mentioned Carter because he was good last year, Merriman wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I didn't want Merriman when the Chargers released him and was happy the Bills beat us to him. I was more worried that the Ravens would still have interested. It's amazing because he's all of 28 and has been beat up and hurt for at least 4 years.
    My mistake GOTA for assuming you wanted the Ravens to pursue him, I didn't want him either. It was tempting because you (general term) focus on the name but in reality he's not the same player anymore. If the Ravens are going to sign someone it should be a player who can still get the job done not a guy who isn't close to being the player he used to be. By the way GOTA it's good talking to you again, I know I haven't been on here as often as I used to be.

Blog Entries

Still, whats the risk? THe ravens are known for last min trades and signings. I can also see a last min trade since we will have a lot of picks in next years draft.
    IMO the risk is giving a guy like this (from PFT : "Merriman has had a grand total of just five sacks in the last four seasons, and has played in just 23 games since the start of the 2008 season.") snaps in place of some of our young players. He seems done to me, why take away time from Kindle, McClellan, or McPhee for this oft injured player who has seen his better days 5 years ago... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I thought it was Adam Caplan???

In the other thread you said Adam Caplan...not Aaron Wilson...

Are you trying to "josh" us over here??? :liar:
    I talked to both of them, Caplan told me his opinion, Wilson told me what he heard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I talked to both of them, Caplan told me his opinion, Wilson told me what he heard.
    Gotcha.

I was just giving you a hard time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If the guys we have can get to the QB and apply pressure than there is no need to sign him. I for one have not seen much problem with the pass rush as others due to the fact that most defenders who are not playing for a job as starter or in other words starters no matter what are not even giving it 50% as they dont want to risk Injury.

Lets see what Upshaw can do once he gets all the rust is off of him. Keep in mind he missed almost all of camp and just played his first game.

The pass rush will be there once the season starts as will the CBs finding the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotcha.

I was just giving you a hard time.
    Ha Ha wicked, by the way I know this is late but I meant to congrate you on the birth of your child. I'm a new father myself (beautiful baby girl born on May 28th).

Blog Entries

Ha Ha wicked, by the way I know this is late but I meant to congrate you on the birth of your child. I'm a new father myself (beautiful baby girl born on May 28th).
    Wicked and Sugar, as a man who is old enough to be your father (or more?), I congratulate you two on being fathers this year. You're the type of men that society needs to shepherd youngsters into adulthood. BTW, did I say that I don't want Merriman on the Ravens? Well, I don't, but you guys will make the final 53 of male parents I am sure... Bc

Blog Entries

Still, whats the risk? THe ravens are known for last min trades and signings. I can also see a last min trade since we will have a lot of picks in next years draft.
    The risk is not realizing that this is not the Shawne Merriman of old. This is an oft-injured player whose skills have seriously diminished because of that. And with the damaged psyche that comes with being dumped by a couple of teams, the last one being the Bills. The risk is adding him to the roster at the expense of a healthy, hungry youngster with a lot of upside. Whom do we cut for him? I say just say no to "Lights dimmed".

Blog Entries

My mistake GOTA for assuming you wanted the Ravens to pursue him, I didn't want him either. It was tempting because you (general term) focus on the name but in reality he's not the same player anymore. If the Ravens are going to sign someone it should be a player who can still get the job done not a guy who isn't close to being the player he used to be. By the way GOTA it's good talking to you again, I know I haven't been on here as often as I used to be.
    It's not your mistake because I never stated an opinion on this thread. Once again SugarRay52 we're on the same page. That seems to happen all the time. Glad to post with you again too.

Andre Carter had quad surgery during the offseason and is working his way back, he may be picking his spots far as when to make himself available to workout for teams. Just because a player doesn't sign earlier in the offseason doesn't eliminate interest, it means they have their own physical and personal reasons for not making themselves available. It took a while for Braylon Edwards to make himself available since he was recovering from knee surgery, when he became healthy the Seahawks brought him in for a workout and signed him. People need to stop getting caught up in the name Shawne Merriman and focus on the fact that he is not Lights Out anymore. Some people also need to stop focusing on the UMD connection factor, I'm a UMD alum and I've accepted the fact that he may be finished. I'm choosing to think with my head on this one instead of my heart, my heart says to sign him because it would be a feel good move, that would be the wrong choice. I know the Ravens need pass rush depth but I'm begging you guys to think of someone else who can physically help the Ravens not just a name guy. I mentioned Carter because he was good last year, Merriman wasn't.
    I would work out Andre Carter before bringing Merriman in here.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.