Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    8 games in two full seasons since he got popped for PED's

If that alone doesn't do it for you ...

Blog Entries

Re: Any interest in Shawne Merriman? (Merged)

The problem with Ravens fans is that they've been spoiled with who's actually been playing defense. For years we've had two of the best edge setters in the game, in Terrell Suggs, and Jarrett Johnson. Granting that only one was elite at getting to the QB and bringing pressure, it was like having an extra ILB at the sam LB position with JJ, but he was still really good. Also teams didn't know who to scheme against with Ngata or Suggs, if you block Suggs, you leave Ngata free, and the other way around.

With both of them gone, Suggs may be back of course, but for now we shouldn't be confident in what we have. From what I seen, no one has stood out as great pass rushers. In order for this defense to be successful, you need our front 7 to bring pressure. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I agree with Mr T, we cannot be too picky.

So despite injury history, and the 80 % chance that Merriman doesn't actually make the final roster, you may as well at least give him a shot. If he flat out kills it in pre season and shows anything close to what he used to have, you at least have a situational pass rusher. I would also bring in Andre Carter and give him a medical, he was having a pretty solid season with the Pats before he got injured. He had 4 sacks in one game vs the Jets.

Blog Entries

Re: Any interest in Shawne Merriman?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Can't be too picky. Our pass rush is miserable and Kindle is a bust. Situational pass rusher, perhaps? I would sure like to see the staff check him out and give him a physical before just saying no.

This could be a long season unless Suggs injury is addressed.
    I agree 100%. No harm in bringing him in for a look. The Ravens are desperate for pass rushers. No matter how good our secondary could potentialy be, they will look absolutely pedestrian if we cant get to the QB.

Anybody else missing Antwan Barnes as much as i am?
    Last edited by ballhawk; 08-21-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    We could really use him as a pass rusher about now. But there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Wicked and Sugar, as a man who is old enough to be your father (or more?), I congratulate you two on being fathers this year. You're the type of men that society needs to shepherd youngsters into adulthood. BTW, did I say that I don't want Merriman on the Ravens? Well, I don't, but you guys will make the final 53 of male parents I am sure... Bc
    Congrad to both new fathers and May the 28th also belongs to my son and I.. SM isn't the player he once was but I think it's no harm bringing him in. The only way he takes snaps away from younger players is if he out plays them. If Suggs was healthy I would say no but it seems like with our D he MIGHT can rebound. I seen players from our D that left to other teams and their play just sucked and I seen us grab players other teams cut or didn't resign and they played well in our D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I agree 100%. No harm in bringing him in for a look. The Ravens are desperate for pass rushers. No matter how good our secondary could potentialy be, they will look absolutely pedestrian if we cant get to the QB.

I bet the Eagles are missing him too then, huh?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Another reason the Bills cut him: $4,000,000.000 is what they'll be saving.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    Congrad to both new fathers and May the 28th also belongs to my son and I.. SM isn't the player he once was but I think it's no harm bringing him in. The only way he takes snaps away from younger players is if he out plays them. If Suggs was healthy I would say no but it seems like with our D he MIGHT can rebound. I seen players from our D that left to other teams and their play just sucked and I seen us grab players other teams cut or didn't resign and they played well in our D

Thank you thank you.

Sugar, BC - thank you as well.

I look forward to the days when my wife and I can sleep an entire night. I don't think either of us have slept more than 4 hours at a time since the little guy was born, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Andre Carter is someone we need to have a look at, don't forget he had 4 sacks last year in a single game last season vs the Jets, yes 4 sacks.
    I like your opinions so that's why I reply to your comments more than others. I have a question, Andre Carter had 4 sacks against the jets which is almost half his total for the year so does that say he had a great year or a great game against the jets? I know Barnes had pass rushing skills when the Ravens got him. When he played for the chargers vs the Ravens I think he had 5 sacks so does that make him a great pass rusher or did the ravens o line have a bad day? You might make me eat crow when I said there was no way all the draft picks make the 53 this year plus I didn't even count on sum of the new udfa being so good

WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

I like your opinions so that's why I reply to your comments more than others. I have a question, Andre Carter had 4 sacks against the jets which is almost half his total for the year so does that say he had a great year or a great game against the jets? I know Barnes had pass rushing skills when the Ravens got him. When he played for the chargers vs the Ravens I think he had 5 sacks so does that make him a great pass rusher or did the ravens o line have a bad day? You might make me eat crow when I said there was no way all the draft picks make the 53 this year plus I didn't even count on sum of the new udfa being so good

He had 4 sacks against Baltimore.

To answer your question - I think it took Barnes getting bounced around from a couple of different teams before realizing that he can't just get by on natural ability alone and he has to put in the work to be an effective player and stick with an NFL team. He's not the first player to disappoint on his original team and then get better when he goes elsewhere. Look at Mark Anderson. Chicago had high hopes for this guy and he wasn't really great with them at all. He had an outstanding rookie year (12 sacks) and then the next 4 years just kind of coasted and dealt with injuries...he gets cut after a couple of games and then picked up by the Texans for the rest of the year and then gets cut again before signing with New England last year where he recaptured that ability he flashed as a rookie with 10 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He hits free agency and signs a big deal with Buffalo to line up across from Mario Williams.

The point is that just because it takes some player a couple of seasons to figure it all out (either from a mental stance or a physical one) doesn't mean that the team who let him go gave up on him too quickly or made a mistake by letting him go. Sure, it'd be nice to have someone who could produce 11 sacks lined up across from Suggs (or Kruger this year), but when the Ravens released Barnes he wasn't producing like that at all, he wasn't grasping the defense at all, and he wasn't a very good ST's contributor either.

The NFL is littered with guys like this...

Cameron Wake in Miami, James Harrison in Pittsburgh, Simeon Rice when he was in Tampa...this list could be hundreds of names.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I bet the Eagles are missing him too then, huh?
    Not really. The Eagles have ridiculous depth on the D-line and a really good passrush, including one of the leagues best in Trent Cole.

The Ravens lack pass rushing options and a player with the skillset he has shown in Sunny D would really add something to the defence.

Two teams got rid before he put it together, I really don't see what bearing that has on the player he is now, a player the Ravens could really use.

Blog Entries

I appreciate that, and yeah that was half of his sack count that season, not saying he's the best pure pass rusher in the world either. But from what I've seen so far, we do need a pure pass rusher like Carter to line up opposite Kruger this year.