Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 85
  1. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    2,381

    Re: Williams turns down contract



    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yanda turned down more from Washington to stay in Baltimore and you know that Snyder ponies up.
    I don't even remember that happening, same ole Redskins.

    At some point you have to be ashamed at the numerous attempts to fleece players from the same organization (Ravens) time and time again that put in the hard work to find said player. That is just another hilarious example that Mr. Snyder has no such limit.




  2. #74

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn
    Are people here actually knocking him for turning down that contract?

    reply : He's had ZERO interceptions in his career. He is good, but not yet a prime CB (like Webb). Why should the Ravens overpay? ... Bc
    You don't have to be a "prime" CB to get more than $5 million a year for 3 years. Of course he isn't getting that contract.

    But if he starts and the defense as a whole plays well, he can expect to get a longer contract with more money as well.




  3. #75

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    1. Yanda did take a less than market deal. It isn't even close to what top guards get regardless of structure. Not even in tje ballpark.

    2. Go read my Webb article I posted in March, and tell me how much I over estimated that one. I hit the overall money and guarantees dead on the money.

    3.On a $15 million total deal offer, the MOST they probably guaranteed was 8 million. If you think there isn't a difference betwen 8 million and $15-20 million I dont know what to tell you.

    4.Offering a starting caliber corner 3 years is a joke, the most obvious flaw in the offer. The average is close, he is probably a $6 mill a year player.

    5. I have never and will never say he will get a top corner deal like Carr got. He won't, because he isn't that good. BUT there is a massive gap between $15 million and 50 million that Cary will fit into.

    I would have preferred the Ravens did what Pitt did with Antonio Brown. Give him the possibility of earning decent money, ONLY if he performs.year in and year out. Brown got very little guaranteed but the potential to turn it into a nice contract over the long term. Williams had no such option.

    Bottom line is 3/15 offer is a joke, and I am far from the only one saying that. I don't give a damn what the structure looked like.

    Starting corners, however average they might be are getting paid in todays league, period. A hell of a lot more than 15 million.
    Exactly




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You don't have to be a "prime" CB to get more than $5 million a year for 3 years. Of course he isn't getting that contract.

    But if he starts and the defense as a whole plays well, he can expect to get a longer contract with more money as well.
    AND if he doesn't play well, and Jimmy Smith takes his spot, then what can he expect? I can't blame him for "rolling the dice" on his career, but it's a risk that many pro players face, and take or reject for a little $ecurity... Bc




  5. #77

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    AND if he doesn't play well, and Jimmy Smith takes his spot, then what can he expect? I can't blame him for "rolling the dice" on his career, but it's a risk that many pro players face, and take... Bc
    He could still get 3/15 with 5-8 million guaranteed on the open market BC.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He could still get 3/15 with 5-8 million guaranteed on the open market BC.
    Yes, of course he can...but if he has a bad season or is injured, then what?
    I'm not saying he should just sign any contract the Ravens put before him, but as I replied to Raveninwoodlawn, every year brings risks (and keep in mind C. Wms does not have a single int. to his pro name)... so roll the dice Cary, but keep in mind you're not a Pro Bowl shoe in... Bc




  7. #79

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Yes, of course he can...but if he has a bad season or is injured, then what?
    I'm not saying he should just sign any contract the Ravens put before him, but as I replied to Raveninwoodlawn, every year brings risks (and keep in mind C. Wms does not have a single int. to his pro name)... so roll the dice Cary, but keep in mind you're not a Pro Bowl shoe in... Bc
    Even if he signed it, what's the chance that he would be happy with it if the opposite happens and he plays just as well as he did last year, or even better? Remember, last year was his first season as a starter. He still has room to grow?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  8. #80

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You're saying that six million dollars isn't a big difference? You are guessing what the Ravens offered in guaranteed money, as if, even if he gets hurt, he'll get more from what they offered than on the FA market.
    You think a 28 year old CB with 0 career interceptions and one year of collecting any real playing time would get more than 3 years/$15 million on the open market if he got hurt? I don't see it. Healthy, probably. Hurt, no way. We aren't talking about a player with a track record of elevated play here.




  9. #81

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He could still get 3/15 with 5-8 million guaranteed on the open market BC.
    Or he could get the $1 million veteran minimum if he gets hurt.




  10. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Even if he signed it, what's the chance that he would be happy with it if the opposite happens and he plays just as well as he did last year, or even better? Remember, last year was his first season as a starter. He still has room to grow?
    I remember Tony Pashos (OLineman drafted in 2003). He started (@ OT) in his 4th season, but the Ravens did not resign him. He faded away as an under average player. Not saying that C. Wms would see the same fate, but I am confident in Ozzie paying the "right player for the right price." With Webb and J. Smith, the Ravens IMO have two solid CBs for the future, along with some younger ones too. Cary cannot overplay his hand in Baltimore or he will go elsewhere for more than the Ravens are willing to pay... Bc




  11. #83

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I remember Tony Pashos (OLineman drafted in 2003). He started (@ OT) in his 4th season, but the Ravens did not resign him. He faded away as an under average player. Not saying that C. Wms would see the same fate, but I am confident in Ozzie paying the "right player for the right price." With Webb and J. Smith, the Ravens IMO have two solid CBs for the future, along with some younger ones too. Cary cannot overplay his hand in Baltimore or he will go elsewhere for more than the Ravens are willing to pay... Bc
    Tony Pashos faded, but he got paid in FA first.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  12. #84

    Re: Williams turns down contract

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Or he could get the $1 million veteran minimum if he gets hurt.
    Or, he could get cut before the expiration of his contract, even if he signed an extension with the Ravens. Or, he could be upset with his contract if he improves on his performance last season. He decided to skip all of that and he is not the first one to do so. Ed Reed has done it. Ray Lewis has done it. Terrell Suggs has done it. Ray Rice has done it. Haloti Ngata has done it. Yet, we didn't suddenly downplay them or the strategy, because they knew their worth. Which happens to be the same worth we as fans pumped them up to.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland