Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Williams turns down contract

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    Cary will get $6mill easy on the open market.
    And for 5 years, not 3. Big difference.

With the guarantees in the first 3 years, what the total value tje Ravens offered him or more.

Ravens probably only had 6-8 in guarantees/SB. Not even remotely close to what a starting corner would get on the open market.

Blog Entries

Lot of money for a no INT, just off surgery player. You guys have him on a bit of a pedestal with a 30 mil contract... this isn't Deion Sanders... not even Colonel Sanders... of course Julio Jones and Matt Ryan did fry his ass like a piece of chicken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Lot of money for a no INT, just off surgery player. You guys have him on a bit of a pedestal with a 30 mil contract... this isn't Deion Sanders... not even Colonel Sanders... of course Julio Jones and Matt Ryan did fry his ass like a piece of chicken.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Oh snap!
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Kansas City's second best CB just got paid more than that this off-season. Even without the interceptions, Cary will get paid more than that amount if he plays the way he did last year.

1.) The vast majority of Ravens defenders are over-valued on the open market
    2.) The way he played last year was good enough for him to be the top CB on about a half dozen teams around the league.
    3.) He is still in his twenties.

This was a 'Can't hurt to try' offer by the Ravens and Cary was right to turn it down.

Right now, he is just knocking off rust. This is where that effect comes in that a teams' fanbase downplays his play, because he won't take a team friendly deal.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Excell you hit it on the head with that post, it would be a dream to keep guys like your Williams, Jason Browns, Bart Scotts, Jamie Shapers and so forth but i just look at it as our FO is top notch for finding some of these talents in the late rounds or undrafted, it goes to show the type of front office we have to churn out talent like this that is hard to find in late rounds, and we always do, there is not one year some rookie late round pick or undrafted rookie didnot make an impact on a season and has us buzzin the next to see what he can do. Cary deserves a good deal, he worked his ass off and played great last season that alone will land him top CB money, hell mediocre corners these days are making top money Cary is better than average. Like Excell said it was move by the team to see if they could get Cary to bite.

How many interceptions does he have to date? Just asking.

Are people here actually knocking him for turning down that contract?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Are people here actually knocking him for turning down that contract?
    A poster commented on this a while back. It is an effect that kicks in when the team is trying to extend a quality player. When the quality player does not bow before the team, the fanbase temporarily tries to degrade the player, to sort of minimize his ability to make more money.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    A poster commented on this a while back. It is an effect that kicks in when the team is trying to extend a quality player. When the quality player does not bow before the team, the fanbase temporarily tries to degrade the player, to sort of minimize his ability to make more money.
    No, I think the money you are talking about is nuts. He's NOT a 30Mil CB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, it appears that he's being lit up in preseason. Now, I don't know how much of that is the safeties blowing assignments for helping him out, but to the naked eye, it looks like he isn't doing well.

Just to compare...and I know we are comparing apples to oranges in as far as positions...but Rice just got 5 years with 35 million with 15 million guaranteed (if I am not mistaken...and with escalators up to 40 million). Williams might make his money on the open market but I think comparing him to Rice and money spent as far as the cap hit puts his worth to us in perspective. I like Carey...he is a good work hard and you can make it story...but he is overvalueing his worth in my opinion...at least with the Ravens.