Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Williams turns down contract

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Why is this only being talked about now, was this not ages ago before we gave him the tender?
    It was brought up that he was offered a deal and turned it down, but I don't think the details of the offer were released at that point.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

“My philosophy on doing that was just having confidence in myself,” Williams said. “I know myself, I know my ability. I know my work ethic. At the end of the day, the offer, I felt like I could always make that. I felt it wasn’t good enough and my agent said it wasn’t good enough. I love playing for the Ravens. I would love to be here, but right now we’re just in the negotiation stage.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tension-offer/

Ok, so we know where his head is at.

Play like you did last year and make a few picks and you will get 6-7 down south

This move is definately balsy for Williams, and the Ravens could care less. Now they have him with less risk, and Williams has set the bar pretty high for future negotiations.
    Any dropoff in production and Williams won't get close to what he wants in baltimore, or will be out the door...

Of course he might be thinking the grass is greener and he can be a #1 or #2 somewhere else...

But not if he plays like he did Friday night.

Blog Entries

I don't blame him, looking at what average CBs have been getting recently in FA, he's almost certain to make more than that even if he just maintains the level of he did last year, which was, in my opinion, pretty average.

Still, very risky move considering he's looked pretty bad through two games and camp, is coming off an injury, and at this point probably isn't one of the starting two come September 10...even though J. Smith has been unimpressive also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't blame him, looking at what average CBs have been getting recently in FA, he's almost certain to make more than that even if he just maintains the level of he did last year, which was, in my opinion, pretty average.

Still, very risky move considering he's looked pretty bad through two games and camp, is coming off an injury, and at this point probably isn't one of the starting two come September 10...even though J. Smith has been unimpressive also.
    Jimmy Smith is also coming off of a lower back injury. Secondly, how has he been unimpressive? Last week was really his first test and it was an unlikely scenario against the best receiver in the league.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Williams turns down contract

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    "“My philosophy on doing that was just having confidence in myself,” Williams said."
    Ok, so we know where his head is at.
    I wonder if he has confidence that he will make at least ONE interception. I checked ESPN stats, and he has NONE in his 4 year career. My feeling is that a 3 year, $15 million contract, was a fair offer. While I hope he has a great year, he may regret this decision come 2013... Bc

Blog Entries

Don't knock the kid for wanting big money, especially in league where passing is focal point, he will fetch big money somewhere else he deserves it, coming up from nowhere the kid played and practice his ass off to get his shot now its his time, we should not bash him for that, we can't keep every guy, but it goes to show how good our FO is when it comes to finding these type of players, i guaranteed you no other team in league has more players playing for other teams or starting for other teams than the Ravens do, Cary will do whats best for Cary, we will find another.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Don't knock the kid for wanting big money, especially in league where passing is focal point, he will fetch big money somewhere else he deserves it, coming up from nowhere the kid played and practice his ass off to get his shot now its his time, we should not bash him for that, we can't keep every guy, but it goes to show how good our FO is when it comes to finding these type of players, i guaranteed you no other team in league has more players playing for other teams or starting for other teams than the Ravens do, Cary will do whats best for Cary, we will find another.
    I don't think anyone is knocking him for wanting to get paid.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Frankly, IMO, I think he's hanging onto a starting gig here by a thread anyway. So, odds are the Ravens wouldn't even be offering that kind of a deal next Feb/March anyway.

Asa Jackson is going to be a good player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    we dont know how much was guaranteed out of the 15 mil so that means he could have signed had an off year and been cut with little cap hit.
    Agree - no way to know whether he's being foolish without knowing what was guaranteed.

But I do agree with those who said he'll probably get more then 5M /yr from somebody, somewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Jimmy Smith is also coming off of a lower back injury. Secondly, how has he been unimpressive? Last week was really his first test and it was an unlikely scenario against the best receiver in the league.
    Not to get into a conversation about Smith in a thread about Cary, but I'm just going by what I've seen and with other stuff I've been reading, makes me say he's been unimpressive. Not really tryin to knock him, just going by what I've seen/read. He's a former first round pick, covering a guy like Johnson is not easy for any player but he should be able to do better than he did. I read that the same result occured on the same play at the Stevenson practice...this time agains Patrick Williams, certainly not in the conversation for best receiver in football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not to get into a conversation about Smith in a thread about Cary, but I'm just going by what I've seen and with other stuff I've been reading, makes me say he's been unimpressive. Not really tryin to knock him, just going by what I've seen/read. He's a former first round pick, covering a guy like Johnson is not easy for any player but he should be able to do better than he did. I read that the same result occured on the same play at the Stevenson practice...this time agains Patrick Williams, certainly not in the conversation for best receiver in football.

Fair enough, but I think he'll get better once he's fully healed.