Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Williams turns down contract

This move is definately balsy for Williams, and the Ravens could care less. Now they have him with less risk, and Williams has set the bar pretty high for future negotiations.
    Any dropoff in production and Williams won't get close to what he wants in baltimore, or will be out the door...

Of course he might be thinking the grass is greener and he can be a #1 or #2 somewhere else...

But not if he plays like he did Friday night.

Blog Entries

I don't blame him, looking at what average CBs have been getting recently in FA, he's almost certain to make more than that even if he just maintains the level of he did last year, which was, in my opinion, pretty average.

Still, very risky move considering he's looked pretty bad through two games and camp, is coming off an injury, and at this point probably isn't one of the starting two come September 10...even though J. Smith has been unimpressive also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't blame him, looking at what average CBs have been getting recently in FA, he's almost certain to make more than that even if he just maintains the level of he did last year, which was, in my opinion, pretty average.

Still, very risky move considering he's looked pretty bad through two games and camp, is coming off an injury, and at this point probably isn't one of the starting two come September 10...even though J. Smith has been unimpressive also.
    Jimmy Smith is also coming off of a lower back injury. Secondly, how has he been unimpressive? Last week was really his first test and it was an unlikely scenario against the best receiver in the league.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Question Re: Williams turns down contract

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    "“My philosophy on doing that was just having confidence in myself,” Williams said."
    Ok, so we know where his head is at.
    I wonder if he has confidence that he will make at least ONE interception. I checked ESPN stats, and he has NONE in his 4 year career. My feeling is that a 3 year, $15 million contract, was a fair offer. While I hope he has a great year, he may regret this decision come 2013... Bc

Blog Entries

Don't knock the kid for wanting big money, especially in league where passing is focal point, he will fetch big money somewhere else he deserves it, coming up from nowhere the kid played and practice his ass off to get his shot now its his time, we should not bash him for that, we can't keep every guy, but it goes to show how good our FO is when it comes to finding these type of players, i guaranteed you no other team in league has more players playing for other teams or starting for other teams than the Ravens do, Cary will do whats best for Cary, we will find another.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Don't knock the kid for wanting big money, especially in league where passing is focal point, he will fetch big money somewhere else he deserves it, coming up from nowhere the kid played and practice his ass off to get his shot now its his time, we should not bash him for that, we can't keep every guy, but it goes to show how good our FO is when it comes to finding these type of players, i guaranteed you no other team in league has more players playing for other teams or starting for other teams than the Ravens do, Cary will do whats best for Cary, we will find another.
    I don't think anyone is knocking him for wanting to get paid.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Frankly, IMO, I think he's hanging onto a starting gig here by a thread anyway. So, odds are the Ravens wouldn't even be offering that kind of a deal next Feb/March anyway.

Asa Jackson is going to be a good player.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    we dont know how much was guaranteed out of the 15 mil so that means he could have signed had an off year and been cut with little cap hit.
    Agree - no way to know whether he's being foolish without knowing what was guaranteed.

But I do agree with those who said he'll probably get more then 5M /yr from somebody, somewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Jimmy Smith is also coming off of a lower back injury. Secondly, how has he been unimpressive? Last week was really his first test and it was an unlikely scenario against the best receiver in the league.
    Not to get into a conversation about Smith in a thread about Cary, but I'm just going by what I've seen and with other stuff I've been reading, makes me say he's been unimpressive. Not really tryin to knock him, just going by what I've seen/read. He's a former first round pick, covering a guy like Johnson is not easy for any player but he should be able to do better than he did. I read that the same result occured on the same play at the Stevenson practice...this time agains Patrick Williams, certainly not in the conversation for best receiver in football.

Blog Entries

Not to get into a conversation about Smith in a thread about Cary, but I'm just going by what I've seen and with other stuff I've been reading, makes me say he's been unimpressive. Not really tryin to knock him, just going by what I've seen/read. He's a former first round pick, covering a guy like Johnson is not easy for any player but he should be able to do better than he did. I read that the same result occured on the same play at the Stevenson practice...this time agains Patrick Williams, certainly not in the conversation for best receiver in football.

Fair enough, but I think he'll get better once he's fully healed.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Doesn't surprise me knowing where he came from and what the free agent market is giving away these days. Here's the plus for the Ravens, he will play his tail off this year in essentially a contract year and if he doesn't, this will backfire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me knowing where he came from and what the free agent market is giving away these days. Here's the plus for the Ravens, he will play his tail off this year in essentially a contract year and if he doesn't, this will backfire.
    That's a good point.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Blog Entries

While I have high hopes for Jimmy, I do agree. From what he's shown in games, I don't really see what the hype is about. I haven't watched any practices so, there could be something else that I haven't seen.

CB is a premium position and even marginal CBs get paid handsomely in free agency.

Last year - minus the INTs - Williams was as good as Starks and Baxter were in their walk years and they ended up getting top of the market CB deals. If Williams plays well again, he'll get far more than 3/$15M.

This offer was made back in the spring, when they were trying to get both Webb and Williams signed. It was a nice offer from the Ravens (though, I would guess it was a bit light on the guaranteed money) and sometimes a player will jump at it, but it doesn't surprise me that he turned it down.

Hopefully, he can live up to his expectations and play well this year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    While I have high hopes for Jimmy, I do agree. From what he's shown in games, I don't really see what the hype is about. I haven't watched any practices so, there could be something else that I haven't seen.
    He has played well just needs to work on locating the ball which can easily be tought and worked on.

I think Cary is still getting rust off for missing the whole off season. A full camp and film of seeing he was there on every play should do the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    He had a Foxworth moment and thought he was better than he really was.
    I don't get this comment at all. Can you elaborate?

Foxworth never held out for money. Foxworth never, to my knowledge, showed the least bit of cockiness or thinking that he was better than he was. His only "mistake" was agreeing to take a bloated contract from his hometown team. Sorta hard to fault him for that, isn't it? This was a colossal mistake of salary valuation on the part of the Ravens, not really anything you can pin on Foxworth. The Ravens paid him as if he was a solid #1 starter in the NFL when he hadn't been anything other than a nickleback over his first 3-4 years. Foxworth clearly wasn't a #1 CB, but he showed he could be a decent starter and played well for most of 2009, particularly down the stretch.

I get that Foxworth was a bust and some fans aren't in love with him because of it. However, we need to look in the mirror when casting blame. Had we given Foxworth the $4-5 million/year that he deserved, instead of $7 million, his performance and his injury history wouldn't have stung as much. What was he supposed to do....not take the crazy money the Ravens gave him? Foxworth was a bust, but worked hard, carried himself well, and played decently when healthy. Don't equate Williams stupidity in turning down a nice contract to what happened with Foxworth. They are in no way related.