Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Backup QB Situation ...

Is rather troubling.

Tyrod has had good preseason games (see: the Redskins come-from-behind win from last year) and bad ones (see: tonight). But even if his "real talent" is somewhere in the middle of that, what a bad spot we are in. No, backup QBs are not supposed to be superstars, but we are a long way from Marc Bulger.

If Curtis Painter were our #2 QB, we might be in trouble anyway. But if Painter is better than our supposed #2, then we are not in a good place.

Re: The Backup QB Situation ...

Taylor is horrible. He is not an NFL qb by any stretch of the imagination. I know I mentioned it before, but McNabb is out there.

If we have to rely on Tyrod Taylor for quarterback play we might as well forfeit the game when he comes its - because its quite pointless to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Taylor is horrible. He is not an NFL qb by any stretch of the imagination. I know I mentioned it before, but McNabb is out there.
    Not that I'm sold on Taylor, but McNabb is shot, IMO. They guy can't play, and he still thinks he should be a starter. He's not worth the headache he might be.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Where is Matt Hasselbeck?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Where is Matt Hasselbeck?
    Tennessee.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Truth be told that most NFL teams with a good to elite QB's would crap themselves if the starter went down. We were fortunate when we had Bulger back at #2. That is a rarity.

McNabb still thinks he's the shit, thus wants more money.

And if Flacco went down we'd be fucked anyway.

This is a non-issue.

I would rather Taylor than McNabb. McNabb probably isn't any better, and unlike Taylor he will think he is way better than he is playing (and possibly cop a 'tude).

Taylor is playing with 2nd teamers etc. Sure they are against 2nd teamers also but that just means everyone looks worse or at least more inconsistent. He also is running stuff he and the team (his 2nd string teammates) need to work on. He isn't running the plays that would be called if he had to spot start a regular season game, imo. In a spot start the playcalling would be more conservative, his running ability would help move the chains, and we would hope to win a low-scoring game. If we needed him to score 27 points to win, we would lose, but we lose games like that with our starting QB sometimes as well.

Again, I would love to upgrade our backup to a veteran (Bulgeresque), but I think plenty of teams have backups as bad as Taylor even if they don't look quite as bad as Taylor did tonight (which was bad even for Taylor).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Tennessee.
    Oh, OK, I thought maybe he had left or was floating around after last season.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I don't really care about a backup QB. If you have a starting QB worth a damn, anything less than another starter caliber QB is going to be a serious downgrade. Having a top notch backup is not the norm around the NFL. It's very rare. You can probably count on one hand the teams that have a player with starter potential on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is a non-issue.
    I disagree whole-heartedly. If Taylor looks as bad in a regular season game as he did tonight, he will not even be able to do the minimum that a back-up is supposed to be able to do: preserve a lead at least, or hold down the fort for two games at best. He looked like hot garbage tonight.