Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: The Backup QB Situation ...

After 2 exhibitions, it doesn't look good for Taylor. He really stunk out the joint against the Lions, worse than his Falcons game. One of Tony's writers agrees:

Curtis Painter is making a strong case to be Joe Flacco's primary backup

At this point, all indications seem to point to Painter as being the No. 2 on the depth chart. Painter has played well in the preseason

I'd sure like to see Taylor kept on the Ravens payroll in some capacity due to his potential and cheap cap hit, but not at the cost of risking the the season by dropping Painter. Better yet, hopefully our FO goes out to get a Matt Moore or Vince Young when one of these guys inevitably gets cut.

The upcoming Jags game should be an interesting contest between these two.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    McNabb still thinks he's the shit, thus wants more money.

And if Flacco went down we'd be fucked anyway.

This is a non-issue.
    This is my thoughts. Hasselbeck would be worthwhile if hes relrased but im not sure its worth carrying 3 qbs. End of the day nobody is available that can carry us if flacco misses a lot of time.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    This is my thoughts. Hasselbeck would be worthwhile if hes relrased but im not sure its worth carrying 3 qbs. End of the day nobody is available that can carry us if flacco misses a lot of time.
    I honestly believe a guy like Matt Hassleback could at least get us to the play offs, same for Matt Moore, maybe not the SB, but we have enough pieces to get there with a solid vet at QB. The game plan would be ultra conservative and simple, it would just completely go through Ray Rice, and all Hassleback or Moore would have to do is manage the game well enough. They can probably do that. Anyway, I really don't want to think about Flacco getting hurt, it is just not in my mind at all, I know it could happen, but lets just hope it doesn't happen.

Blog Entries
    I can't see TN releasing Hasslebeck and I don't see any scenario that has VY here (thankfully)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I really hope that the Ravens are thinking more like the Patriots when Brady went down or the Steelers when Ben was suspended than "the season is done if Joe goes down." They may not have had the best option when Jamal went down for the season in 2001, but they still made it to the playoffs and a win.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

So...........

Colts: Super Bowl contender. Manning goes down. Painter plays. Team implodes. Coach and GM are fired. Total franchise annihilation.

Ravens: Super Bowl contender. Flacco goes down. Painter plays. Team wins it all!

Not sure I'm seeing that.

Only thing Painter has in common with Flacco as a QB is he's right handed.

That said, Taylor hasn't shown enough to prove that he can compete either.

Maybe a Matt Moore, somebody like that, shakes loose later on. Several of the guys on the list posted above would cost more than the Ravens want to pay, but a few could fit under the cap.
    Last edited by NC Raven; 08-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.

The 2011 Colts team, ignoring the QB position, was absolutely terrible, whereas the 2012 Ravens team, ignoring the QB position, is still very good.

There is no way we implode like last year's Colts if Painter were forced to play. That said, there is also no way we "win it all with Painter" (or Moore for that matter, or anyone "like" Moore, imo).

I agree we should be watching other teams' cuts to see if a better option becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Colts: Super Bowl contender. Manning goes down. Painter plays. Team implodes. Coach and GM are fired. Total franchise annihilation.

Ravens: Super Bowl contender. Flacco goes down. Painter plays. Team wins it all!
    Um, nobody said this. At least four posters including myself are simply saying that Painter might let us break even for a few series or even a couple games if Joe were to go down.

Painter is not a good starter but he is at least an NFL-caliber QB, be it second or third string. Taylor sometimes can barely complete a pass.