Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Williams turns down contract

Cary Williams reportedly turns down a 3 year 15 million dollar contract. Wow...if it plays out the way I think it will it will be Webb and Smith as 1 and 2 with Williams as 3. 5 million a year for a CB #3 is pretty good...by signing his tender he is "only" making around 2 million this year...if I were him I would actually give my agent a raise for being able to get me this much $$$. If I were his agent and he didn't accpet this offer I would shake my head, do a palm to the face, laugh a little, and say good luck.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4967/cary-williams

Re: Williams turns down contract

Real ballsy move. If he gets injured or has a down season he may not see anything like that contract again.

If he continues his play as of late into the season, he's going to REALLY regret this move.

Blog Entries

I have to wonder if the Ravens don't start taking trade offers for him more seriously.

Blog Entries

He had a Foxworth moment and thought he was better than he really was. I always thought if he would be a one year wonder, but it's only preseason and we really don't know shit yet...but the way it looks, he should have taken the contract. There's a reason he was on the practice squad first.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

we dont know how much was guaranteed out of the 15 mil so that means he could have signed had an off year and been cut with little cap hit. But had the guranteed money been over $6 I would have taken it.

Dont get me started with Foxworth he was overhyped and overpaid and would have gotten the same overpaid contract where ever he signed in 2009.

Cary has not looked that bad, the coverage has been tight he just could not get to the ball. That can all be fixed same with Jimmy they are both having the same issues.

Blog Entries

He needs to start backing it up if he wants that type of money. He was ok last season, but nothing to write home about.

First reported back on July 26:

Williams according to a team source, has been offered an extension in the $4-5M per year range. The offer was declined.

Given the team’s investments in corners Lardarius Webb ($50M) and Jimmy Smith (1st Round Pick), the offer seems more than generous particularly when most expect Smith to be the starter on opening night against the Cincinnati Bengals.

But that doesn’t mean that Williams won’t get his fair share of snaps. Look for Williams to be on the field whenever the Ravens line up in a nickel package and when they do, Webb will drop down inside with Williams and Smith manning the edges.

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Its a passing league. A big corner who can play is going to have significant value. Plus the Ravens defense is studied by every personnel guy. Williams will get some bigger offers next year.

Blog Entries

That's the only issue. Ideally you need two tall and rangy/physical corners in this league, and a smaller faster guy playing in the middle to cover the slot. Asa Jackson looks like he has a future playing on the inside, but then you have a 5'10 Webb, and a 5'9 Asa Jackson (has to be one of the smallest corners in the league atm). Jimmy Smith is your big physical corner, but you kind of want someone lined up opposite him with similar size. I still think 5 million is over priced for Williams however.

Blog Entries

#1 - Asa Jackson is 5'10" 190lbs...not 5'9". That is from his combine measures. I also think he can play both the slot and the perimeter. He's kind of reminding me of Brent Grimes. If he could turn into that kind of a corner, it would be great. Very high ceiling for that kid.

#2 - This is just my opinion, but Cary declining the contract may completely transcend money. Look at the situation. The Ravens just extended Webb, Jimmy is a 1st rounder, they drafted Chykie Brown last year and Asa Jackson this year, they've kept Gorrer around (and they like him) and they signed Corey Graham (and he's shown to be more than just a ST'er). The point is, Cary probably has enjoyed the opportunity here in Baltimore, but he may want to go elsewhere and be "man". You know? I'm not saying he will because even though he's a solid starting corner, he'll never get over that hump until he increases his ability to turn the ball over via interception and fumble recovery. He's from Miami and went to college in Kansas. For all we know, he may just want to play out this year in Baltimore and then head back down south. There are plenty of teams down south who would be interested in a starting caliber cornerback. Tampa, Jacksonville, Carolina, New Orleans, etc.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Why is this only being talked about now, was this not ages ago before we gave him the tender?