Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: Hmmm....What are some of our former desired draft picks up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I know GOTA and I were two folks who were really enamored with Limas Sweed.

Talk about a total disappointment. He had the size (6'4" 215lbs), speed, leaping ability, and he displayed some really nice ball skills down in Texas. I really thought he could be a top flight receiver in this league. He's hung around with the Steelers for a little (think he is still there actually), so he must display SOME sort of talent...but yea...I thought he would be someone who would be killing the Ravens for years.
    Sweed looked great in college except for his injury. Mentally he just wasn't able to make that transition. A lot of wide receivers don't run routes in college. They just get open. Apparently that was Sweed. It's tough for the fans to know unless someone reports that.

Sweed is the reason we weren't completely embarrased in the first playoff game against the Steelers, no?

FWIW, I think the Steelers cut him about a year ago.

Edit: They cut him sometime between the '09 and '10 seasons.
    Last edited by esmd; 08-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

4. Re: Hmmm....What are some of our former desired draft picks up to these days?

I remember how badly I wanted Justin Houston last year. I thought he had the whole package as a pass rusher. I think he's doing fairly well with the Chiefs right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I remember how badly I wanted Justin Houston last year. I thought he had the whole package as a pass rusher. I think he's doing fairly well with the Chiefs right now.
    He had a very good rookie season. In the preseason the entire Chiefs defense looks terrible but they have a lot of talent should turn it around. Houston fits right there with that group.

Blog Entries

I wanted Justin Houston, but he now ends up in a good spot with Romeo Crennel.

I wanted Stephen Hill, but not over Upshaw. Naturally, Hill is doing about as well as we expected him to be doing, the moment we found out that New York traded up to get him. Wrong system, wrong QB, wrong overall fit and wrong team mentality.

I wanted Chris Givens and had a feeling that the Ravens wanted him, but St. Louis took him a few picks prior to Baltimore. I suspect that he was one of the WRs DeCosta was talking about, when he said that several of their WR picks were taken spots before them.

How is he doing in St. Louis? Didn't St. Louis take him?

I wanted Greg Childs who, in reflection, probably wasn't even on Ozzie's board due to injury. Childs is already done for the season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

By the way, what is Vontaze Burfict up to in Cincinnati?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    By the way, what is Vontaze Burfict up to in Cincinnati?
    I think he makes the team.

It remains to be seen how well he does from there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think he makes the team.

It remains to be seen how well he does from there though.
    RE: Burfict...

A quick scan of 53 man predictions by Bengal fans and reporters all have Burfict safely on the team.

Blog Entries

Burfict has had some solid pre season games, made the stats sheet on tackles and even an interception. It's going to be interesting, he may even start the game against us in September, or at least see a significant amount of snaps should Rey Mualuga not come back in time because of his injury.

Blog Entries

Is it just me or are the majority of guys that we wanted the Ravens to take, that winded up with other teams, getting cut within a year or two? At this rate, Rex Ryan will get the axe and Stephen Hill will be released next training camp.

Fun thread...I went back as far as 2005.

2005 - We took Clayton #22 overall. I wanted Jamaal Brown the OT also out of Oklahoma. After he went #13 to New Orleans, Clayton was #2 on my list. Another player I liked was Marcus Spears, the DT from LSU. Both Brown and Spears have been average to above average players, but neither is a stud. Clayton obviously was a disappointment. Not a terrible player, but not worth a 1st round pick in hindsight.

2006 - We took Ngata #12. That was who I wanted, and was ecstatic we got him...even if we did have to give Cleveland a 6th to swap #s 12 and 13. The only other player I liked as a possibility was Michael Huff, the Safety from Texas. I thought he would have been a great tandem with Reed, but Huff was taken #7 overall, and he did not become a star.

2007 - We took Grubbs #29 overall. I actually wanted Kevin Kolb, the QB from Houston. I thought he was going to be really good. Turns out there wasn't a single QB from that entire draft that was worth a sh!t, and Grubbs was a real solid guard for his entire rookie contract.

2008 - We were picking 8th overall, and I wanted Matt Ryan badly, but didn't like the price to move up. We traded back to #26, and I wanted either Branden Albert (who went 15th to KC) or Duane Brown (who ended up going in the 26th spot, but to Houston after we traded back up). I thought we could take an OT, and still get either Flacco or Brian Brohm in the 2nd. Obviously now I am very happy with how it worked out.

2009 - We traded up to #23 and took Michael Oher. I wanted Hakeem Nicks. Oher has been a decent RT, but not worth a 1st round pick in my opinion. Nicks can't stay healthy, but despite that hasn't missed many games, and has produced at an above-average level.

2010 - We were supposed to pick #25 overall. I liked Mike Iupati, the Guard from Idaho, Sean Witherspoon, the LB from Missouri, and Kindle. Turns out we got Kindle in the 2nd, and he cracked his skull. We'll never know what he could have been had that not happened (and I'm not ready to give up on him yet), but as of today, he's been a complete bust.

2011 - We picked #27 overall, and I loved Jimmy Smith, but NEVER thought he'd make it to us, so wasn't concentrated on him as a target. I had a man-crush on Cameron Jordan pre-draft. He got picked at #24, and I thought for sure that we'd take Da'Quan Bowers, the DE out of Clemson...turns out his knee troubles (and other injury issues) have followed him into the league. The jury is still out on Smith...but I am hopeful.

2012 - We picked 29th overall. I was completely obsessed with Dont'a Hightower, and I didn't want anyone else. I loved David DeCastro, but knew there was no chance of him getting to us. I was actually surprised that he made it as far as he did to Pittsburgh 24th. I was extremely disappointed that we didn't get Hightower. We'll see how that works out.