Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post

He played some guard too. Never played RT.
    Not that it really matters, you know? Carl Nicks was a left tackle at Nebraska and became an all pro left guard. I actually think KO could play LT in this league, but i see a guy who could become a pro bowl caliber guard too.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: McKinnie back at LT

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually think KO could play LT in this league, but i see a guy who could become a pro bowl caliber guard too.
    I think this will be an ongoing topic next year as well. McKinnie you have to assume wont be back, so if that opens up competition its possible he beats Oher at LT and is forced to give up being a great G vs an average or above average LT. Not sure what the long term goals are for him at this point.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's your (BcRaven) opinion.

I don't think that just because they are older that they can't get the job done. Birk and McKinnie aren't "power" players anyway.

I'm for playing the best players at their best positions. I like KO and he will be the starting RT next year barring something crazy happening (like signing or drafting an OT high in the draft). He looks like he is going to have a long and successful career here.

But I'm not just throwing him in there because I don't like some other guys age. Let KO show he is better than the guy he is replacing. He hasn't done that yet.
    Riw, while I respect your opinion, there is a saying "youth must be served." IMO McKinnie/B. Wms/Birk (at their ages) can't sustain a full NFL season. Oh yes, the Ravens should make the playoffs, but how far will they go? A blend of young talented players (which Ozzie has brought to our roster), with veterans, will bring the Ravens to the ultimate goal. Too many old players will sink us during the playoffs because of their aged/deteriorated capacity... Bc

That's your opinion.

I don't think that just because they are older that they can't get the job done. Birk and McKinnie aren't "power" players anyway.

I'm for playing the best players at their best positions. I like KO and he will be the starting RT next year barring something crazy happening (like signing or drafting an OT high in the draft). He looks like he is going to have a long and successful career here.

But I'm not just throwing him in there because I don't like some other guys age. Let KO show he is better than the guy he is replacing. He hasn't done that yet.
    KO and Williams are competing to replace Grubbs as the starting LG. Bobbie needs to beat KO just to win the spot same as KO needs to beat Bobbie. Neither one deserves to be called the starter at this point.

On another note it is great that Gino has gotten so much work this training camp in the event that Birk does go down this season. It is really tough to come in and play C right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think this will be an ongoing topic next year as well. McKinnie you have to assume wont be back, so if that opens up competition its possible he beats Oher at LT and is forced to give up being a great G vs an average or above average LT. Not sure what the long term goals are for him at this point.
    I think the long term plans at this point is for KO to be at RT.

I think the team will wind up signing Oher to an extension to be LT.

Unless someone falls into their lap in UFA or the draft, you are looking at...

Oher, Open spot, Gino, Yanda, KO.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    KO and Williams are competing to replace Grubbs as the starting LG. Bobbie needs to beat KO just to win the spot same as KO needs to beat Bobbie. Neither one deserves to be called the starter at this point.

On another note it is great that Gino has gotten so much work this training camp in the event that Birk does go down this season. It is really tough to come in and play C right out of the gate.
    KO and Williams are not competing.

KO was only there yesterday because they were giving Bobbie Williams some rest due to his ankle swelling up (he will be resting today too). By all accounts, the team is more than happy with Williams there and pretty much is set as the starter

KO was only there yesterday because they were giving Bobbie Williams some rest due to his ankle swelling up (he will be resting today too). By all accounts, the team is more than happy with Williams there and pretty much is set as the starter
    Bobbie Williams has only been at Guard due to the charade of a "competition" at tackle with McKinnie in Harb's dog house.

If that whole situation had not happened, you would have seen KO at LG from the beginning of camp. Bobbie Williams was brought in for depth, and as an insurance policy if KO was not looking good and needed time to develop.

Obviously with KO's play so far that is not the case, hence he will be starting at LG IMO.

Funny how Bobbie Williams came up with a "sore ankle" after he got beat like a drum and the McKinnie situation has died down.

Coincidence? I think not.

Are you really comfortable with a 36 year old Matt Birk beside a 35 year old Bobbie Williams on the inside? I'm not, and I hope the Ravens aren't either. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

KO is the future, BW is not. Get KO in there and let him progress as the season goes on, he will get better. It isn't like we are asking him to play Lt with no help as a rookie, it is an interior line position. A position that a rookie can easily come in and handle, especially if all the reports of his play at a much harder position on the edge are accurate.

Either way I trust the coaches, they will make the best choice.

Blog Entries

Interesting argument......
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Bobbie Williams has only been at Guard due to the charade of a "competition" at tackle with McKinnie in Harb's dog house.

If that whole situation had not happened, you would have seen KO at LG from the beginning of camp. Bobbie Williams was brought in for depth, and as an insurance policy if KO was not looking good and needed time to develop.

Obviously with KO's play so far that is not the case, hence he will be starting at LG IMO.

Funny how Bobbie Williams came up with a "sore ankle" after he got beat like a drum and the McKinnie situation has died down.

Coincidence? I think not.

Are you really comfortable with a 36 year old Matt Birk beside a 35 year old Bobbie Williams on the inside? I'm not, and I hope the Ravens aren't either. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

KO is the future, BW is not. Get KO in there and let him progress as the season goes on, he will get better. It isn't like we are asking him to play Lt with no help as a rookie, it is an interior line position. A position that a rookie can easily come in and handle, especially if all the reports of his play at a much harder position on the edge are accurate.

Either way I trust the coaches, they will make the best choice.
    Bobbie Williams was brought in for security, not depth...there is a big difference.

And Williams has been on record before camp that his ankles, while they felt good at the time, would never be 100%...he has had ankle problems for the last 5-6 years...including what knocked him out late last year. Is it really unreasonable to think that a 36 year old 330 lb lineman might have an ankle that was broken 9 months ago would have some swelling and need some rest after 3 weeks of training camp? And I don't think he got "beaten like a drum, he didn't get beat physically in that Atlanta game...there were communication issues with a rookie, raw center starting his first game on the road.

And yes, I am comfortable with Williams and Birk, Birk is clearly better than Gino right now and Bobbie is better than KO right now. If KO shows during the year that he needs PT and Williams struggles, make the switch. But there is no reason to rush it, and the team isn't going to rush it.

Good news, we need all the OL we can get.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Alright, here's a vet (BW) who's almost 36, and already has (according to you) "his ankle swelling up." KO is 23, versatile, 6' 3" 335 lbs. You and I are on opposite side of the same page... Bc

Blog Entries

Bobbie Williams was brought in for security, not depth...there is a big difference.

And Williams has been on record before camp that his ankles, while they felt good at the time, would never be 100%...he has had ankle problems for the last 5-6 years...including what knocked him out late last year. Is it really unreasonable to think that a 36 year old 330 lb lineman might have an ankle that was broken 9 months ago would have some swelling and need some rest after 3 weeks of training camp? And I don't think he got "beaten like a drum, he didn't get beat physically in that Atlanta game...there were communication issues with a rookie, raw center starting his first game on the road.

And yes, I am comfortable with Williams and Birk, Birk is clearly better than Gino right now and Bobbie is better than KO right now. If KO shows during the year that he needs PT and Williams struggles, make the switch. But there is no reason to rush it, and the team isn't going to rush it.
    if you think its reasonable to have swelling in an ankle that was broken 9 months ago, which id agree with, its also reasonable to think a guy that still has issues and has had issues for 5-6 years will again have issues leaving us with KO at some point regardless. I really think if they do go with Williams, he ends up being replaced anyway. Thats no knock on him just that we cant wait for the future if the future is already here. KO has been one of our more impressive rookies, if its equal, he wins because hes on an upward trajectory and only going to get better vs williams whos just fighting father time on a downward one.

I do think most of what you saw wasnt necessarily his fault however. He looked worse than he actually is, but that doesnt mean hes better than KO either.
    -JAB