Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The O's

Re: OT: The O's

Quote Originally Posted by OregonRaven View Post
    1. I see a few differences between Trembley now and Perlozzo when he took over for Mazzilli. While the players rallied around Perlozzo because he was a breath of fresh air, he still made some very dubious in-game decisions and questionable handling of the bullpen........and once the honeymoon wore off the players were just as tired of him as they were Mazzilli. Trembley seems to be a much better strategist and there have been several comments from players that he's much better at managing the pitching staff. Also, Perlozzo seemed to be afraid to confront players, particularly veterans, when they gave less than 100% to the team and the game........whereas it's quite apparent that Trembley won't put up with that sort of thing from anyone.

2. Agreed. Barring a major change in their ways, the Orioles will do absolutely nothing about Bedard until he becomes a free agent, at which time they will make him a lowball offer which he will laugh at while he is signing with someone else. What did Ben Franklin always say? Something about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

3. Getting rid of the garbage is actually quite easy.......as long as you're willing to acknowledge that you made a huge mistake by giving these stiffs huge contracts. Then accept the fact that you'll have to pay them no matter what, so may as well do some "addition by subtraction", bite the bullet and and send them packing.........hence paying them to not lose games for you. But yes, if they think they can trade some of this trash and get something back for it then I'd like to know what they're smoking back in the Warehouse.

4. I have no true credible source on this, but everything I've heard is that neither son has any interest in owning the club.........thank God. Angelos has said several times that when he's ready he'd be willing to sell to a group led by Cal........so I'll hold out hope for that.

1. I agree that Trembley seems to have a harder hand and that he doesn't take too much shit from the players. Let's see how that goes next year if the team starts it's losing ways again.

2. That's settled.

3. Sure, you can get rid of the trash by eating the contracts. But I don't see Angelos doing that. And if he did, I don't see him then going out and spending again while still being on the hook for the trash that is elsewhere. Getting a prospect or anything for them is out the window. Now the question is how much salary will the O's have to eat.

4. I've heard different things regarding the future of the O's when Angelos bids adieu. I do know that one of the two is somewhat involved and actually has his father's ear on certain things. That's first hand knowledge. And from what I've heard, it's pretty scary. Angelos is very careful with his words. All lawyers are. He's "willing" to sell to a group led by Cal. To me, that means very little. He will get the highest amount possible for this team when/if he sells it. If there's one thing the guy does well, it's negotiatie in the business world. Too bad he runs the team the same way.

PP

While the Orioles are a bad franchise, at this point I almost feel as though Angelos gets a bad rap sometimes.

The honest fact is that the Orioles are probably the most competitive division of baseball.

I think that sole fact will mean that the Orioles won't be competitive. What good pitcher really wants to face the bats of the Yankess and Red Sox that often?

What batters are trying to face the AL East pitching? What gm wants to come to baltimore to right the ship and deal with angelos and the best division.

This team will never get better I think until the Yankees or Redsox get worse. Which won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    While the Orioles are a bad franchise, at this point I almost feel as though Angelos gets a bad rap sometimes.

The honest fact is that the Orioles are probably the most competitive division of baseball.

I think that sole fact will mean that the Orioles won't be competitive. What good pitcher really wants to face the bats of the Yankess and Red Sox that often?

What batters are trying to face the AL East pitching? What gm wants to come to baltimore to right the ship and deal with angelos and the best division.

This team will never get better I think until the Yankees or Redsox get worse. Which won't happen.

Dave, Im not sure if you follow the Os very closely or not. The O's woes go way beyond the on the field stuff.

And this team CAN compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. We spend 100 million a year. The ineptitude is so far ranging and so deep that it's almost not worth spending an hour here typing it all up. But let's just say this. From the farm system to the top floor of the warehouse, this franchise has been run into the ground.

I could give you story after story about why this team is where it is. But Im sure you don't wanna hear it all and I get angry rehashing it.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    And this team CAN compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. We spend 100 million a year. The ineptitude is so far ranging and so deep that it's almost not worth spending an hour here typing it all up. But let's just say this. From the farm system to the top floor of the warehouse, this franchise has been run into the ground.
    I was going to make a similar reply to Dave's post but I think PP summed it up pretty well. The Angelos ownership era has been marked by arrogance, egomania, and incompetence. Sadly, there are far too many examples to cite, but anyone who thinks Angelos is getting a bad rap should take the time to look at some of those examples.

Signing Jay Gibbons was a big deal with Duquette and Flanigan... It showed one of two things, or both. 1. How freaking inept they were, or 2. They had so long been hampered in making decisions, they were just happy to be getting something, anything done.(I think it was a lot of both) The long term Mora deal was not a whole lot better. While Jay was not and is not worth the trouble, Mora is more of a keeper, except he is near the end of his carreer, should have been signed long-term for a good deal less. The bullpen signings over the winter were complete jokes. It fits into the 1., 2. category as described above. There has been no solid plan, and for my money, the owner created that scenario. How COULD there be a plan if the owner refuses to pay players the money they could get elsewhere? (Mussina, etc., etc.) AND nixes any and all deals to try to make the team better that involve strengthening the farm system? IF, and that is a very large IF, Petros actually gives McPhail room to deal, we may become competitive. But if El Angelos continues his miserly meddling, there is no hope!

Oh, and I am sick of the wimpy media condemning Bedard for his "poor PR". I don't care if he EVER makes their job easy. He should be signed and signed NOW. I've listened to some of the questions he's been asked by the local media... It's no wonder he seems aloof. He's a smart person, the questions are DUMB! As for me, I could care less if he EVER gives an interview! Just keep mowing 'em down!:hammer:

Wink Re: OT: The O's

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Oh, and I am sick of the wimpy media condemning Bedard for his "poor PR". I don't care if he ever makes their job easy. He should be signed and signed NOW. I've listened to some of the questions he's been asked by the local media... It's no wonder he seems aloof. He's a smart person, the questions are DUMB! As for me, I could care less if he EVER gives an interview! Just keep mowing 'em down!:hammer:

Bedard is the best looking O's lefty since Flanagan, maybe even McNally or Barber. He could be the core of what is becoming one of the best starting rotations in the league. Sign him now if the O's are really serious.

As to the local media: . Why should we fans care if the players are not bowing & scraping to the media?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    While Im happy they signed Wieters, I couldn't help notice this quote from the article in the sun.

"They got the deal done," said an elated Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan. "You can tell the city of Baltimore that the old evil owner stepped up and took care of things tonight. We had to fight to the end."

Typical of this organization.

Even when they do something tood, they manage to find a way to undermine it.

And here's a newsflash for Mr. Jordan and his scouting department. IT'S THE WORST IN BASEBALL AND HAS BEEN FOR YEARS.

PP

Wow, I hope I never sit next to you at a game. JOrdan's comment was not an undermining, backhanded stab at the owner. I read it as a subtle stab at Orioles fans everywhere who have that opinion of Angelos- and rightfully so- and he was making fun of it. You're taking it way too seriously.

With McPhail in tow-this signing- and Trembley getting the guys playing the right way, and yes, with heart- things are looking up.

By the way, I just left http://www.orioleshangout.com where I wrote about the Orioles- so why am I talking about them here- where I came to talk about the Ravens?? :)
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Bedard is the best looking O's lefty since Flanagan, maybe even McNally or Barber. He could be the core of what is becoming one of the best starting rotations in the league. Sign him now if the O's are really serious.

As to the local media: . Why should we fans care if the players are not bowing & scraping to the media?
    If signing him were easy, they'd have already done it. Bedard seems intent to hit free agency and test his value- in hopes of playing for Toronto- his childhood team- and in his home country. I am holding out hope that we do make an offer he can't refuse though, cuz he's a once in a generation pitcher!
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Thunder View Post
    If signing him were easy, they'd have already done it. Bedard seems intent to hit free agency and test his value- in hopes of playing for Toronto- his childhood team- and in his home country. I am holding out hope that we do make an offer he can't refuse though, cuz he's a once in a generation pitcher!
    O please.

This team under Angelos has continually waited until the last minute with their own guys only to lose them because they dragged their feet.

And Im glad you don't sit next to me at games because it's obvious you can't see how poorly run this team was and still is.

10th straight losing season. That alone is enough to be sick of. But the way it's been done makes it all the more horrible.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Thunder View Post
    Wow, I hope I never sit next to you at a game. JOrdan's comment was not an undermining, backhanded stab at the owner. I read it as a subtle stab at Orioles fans everywhere who have that opinion of Angelos- and rightfully so- and he was making fun of it. You're taking it way too seriously.

With McPhail in tow-this signing- and Trembley getting the guys playing the right way, and yes, with heart- things are looking up.

By the way, I just left http://www.orioleshangout.com where I wrote about the Orioles- so why am I talking about them here- where I came to talk about the Ravens?? :)
    Uh, I know it was a stab at Oriole fans everywhere.

And that's exactly my point. This team has shit on the fans for years and even when they make a move that looks like it could help, they manage to piss on the fans while doing it. Mr. Jordan either doesn't know how bad things have been and are or he doesn't care. Either way, take a jab at the fans that have endured what's quite possibley the worst run franchise in baseball isn't doesn't sit well at all with me.

Im taking it way too seriously? 10 straight losing seasons. You're damn right Im taking it seriously.

Maybe it's time the front office and the scouting department took it seriously.

PP

On a related note, I guess you all know that Wild Bill Hagy passed away the other day.

There's a lot of good stories about him, as well as the Rowdies he sat with and his family on the Roch Around the Clock blog on Sun website.

here is the link: Wild Bill Hagy blog

RIP Wild Bill.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello