Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Referee Lockout (Merged)

You know what worries me most after watching Thursday? The refs. This is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. A big part of it is getting calls wrong, which can impact game outcomes. But I'm also really concerned about players getting hurt. They were slow on whistles, and flat out don't seem to know the rules.

This whole thing really pisses me off. The Browns just sold for $1B, and the combined salary cap of the league hovers around $3.8B. They are arguing over literally $500k - $1MM. It's utterly ridiculous these two sides can't come to an agreement, and I'm firmly, 100% in the camp of the refs deserving more than what these cheap-ass owners are offering them, because the refs have one of the most important and most difficult jobs on the field.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Re: The REAL concern from Thursday...

They will be back.

I was constantly frustrated by the inconsistancy of the regular refs though so I would not mind if they all are replaced permanantly as long as the replacements are actually held accountable and fired when they f up.

:T2:

I agree. One game I was watching there were at least three players who had lost their helmets after legal hits. They are supposed to leave the field for one play after the incident. That must have happened three times. That example might seem trivial, but the rule is not a judgement call, and it happened repeatedly. The refs were oblivious. But, I guess for them, just as the with the players, they are working out some kinks. I can see erring on the side of caution with any hit to a QB that is even remotely violent being called as a roughing the passer. We might be surprised though. . .

Winner Winner, Chicken dinner with this thread.

There are going to be some serious injurys and costly losses if the scab refs stay in there.

The stuff we saw in our game was minimal compared to some of the stuff that went on elsewhere.

There were some people crowing earlier in the year about how the regular refs were replaceable and how they made errors or missed calls, etc., and the difference between the scabs would be minimal.

I said then, and I will say now.... "Be careful what you wish for"

The speed of the game and level of athleticism in the NFL is way beyond what these guys are use to seeing and dealing with.

Easy stuff like the late hit on Flacco and the screwed up touchback call in the Redskin game were missed or botched and it's only pre-season.

There are going to be serious ramifications throughout when the speed gets ratcheted up even more when the regular season starts.

I'll attribute some of what was seen to nerves, but that nervousness will be escalated 10 fold when the regular season starts.

Can you imagine these guys (and girl) trying to control and properly officiate a game between us and Pittsburgh or any other heated rivalry when the lights really come on?

I'd hate to see us playing in Pittsburgh and an official come out and rule in favor of Philadelphia.

Sorry, but give me Ed Hochuli and the regulars when it counts for real.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You know what worries me most after watching Thursday? The refs. This is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. A big part of it is getting calls wrong, which can impact game outcomes. But I'm also really concerned about players getting hurt. They were slow on whistles, and flat out don't seem to know the rules.

This whole thing really pisses me off. The Browns just sold for $1B, and the combined salary cap of the league hovers around $3.8B. They are arguing over literally $500k - $1MM. It's utterly ridiculous these two sides can't come to an agreement, and I'm firmly, 100% in the camp of the refs deserving more than what these cheap-ass owners are offering them, because the refs have one of the most important and most difficult jobs on the field.

- C -
    I agree.

I hate the refs, but we REALLY need the top refs back.

I'm certainly no fan of 99.99999% of the regular officials.. and throughout any given season it was always my wish that they'd all get fired or something, but I agree these replacements suck. I was livid when Flacco slid and they were piling up on him on the ground.

Although maybe piling up on the QB like a giant orgy is legal in the Lingerie league, so he didn't realize it was a penalty in the NFL..

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Once again, we get fucked over without even the slightest drop of K-Y jelly to ease the pain.

Blog Entries

I agree. If these guys ref'd a real game, it would be ugly. Players will be pushing the limits to see what they can get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    The comissioner of NFL has done it again. Now all will be happy with the original refs when compared to the replacements.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'm certainly no fan of 99.99999% of the regular officials.. and throughout any given season it was always my wish that they'd all get fired or something, but I agree these replacements suck. I was livid when Flacco slid and they were piling up on him on the ground.

Although maybe piling up on the QB like a giant orgy is legal in the Lingerie league, so he didn't realize it was a penalty in the NFL..
    i watched the game on NFL Network last night and almost fell out of my chair when this was not a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    i watched the game on NFL Network last night and almost fell out of my chair when this was not a penalty
    Flacco wasn't one of the chosen few of the regular refs, so they may not've called it either. I wonder if the replacement refs will treat Brady like the regular ones, by not allowing anyone to get close.

I'm sorry, but until the refs are held accountable for their bad calls, it will never get any better whether they are regulars or replacements.

The bright side of this for the regular refs is that guys like bill Leavy can follow his steelers every week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    The comissioner of NFL has done it again. Now all will be happy with the original refs when compared to the replacements.
    ain't it the truth

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!