Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshal Yanda

Blog Entries

Marshal Yanda

If Matt Birk still can't get back on the field next week, I'm not sure if Gino is ready to face that defensive front of Detroit. Matt Birk has been dealing with some back spasms for most of TC so far, hopefully he makes it back on the field, but he missed pretty much all of the pre season last year.

So I was thinking about Marshal Yanda moving over to center with the first team while Gino gets more accustomed to the NFL pace with the second team offense. He did some good things against Atlanta, but he also made some mistakes, and looked lost at times making the calls that Birk does so well. I'm not sure if Yanda has ever taken snaps at center, but I'm pretty confident he'd be pretty damn good playing there. He plays well at right tackle, and is probably the best right guard in football, so I'm sure playing center wont be too much of a challenge for him while Birk makes his way back. This would also mean KO could move over to right guard while McKinnie will likely come back as the first team LT moving Oher back over to RT.

An Oline of McKinnie, Williams, Yanda, KO, and Oher is about as physical as you can get.

Thoughts?

Re: Marshal Yanda

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I think the team wants to get the line situated and set very soon.

FYI, Yanda has taken snaps at center before in practice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I think the team wants to get the line situated and set very soon.

FYI, Yanda has taken snaps at center before in practice.
    Can't really get the line set when your starting center is sitting out with back spasms!

Yeah, but you expect him to be back soon.

Why not get everybody else where they will be so when he comes back, we are all ready to go?

Blog Entries

It's a preseason game. This is when you want a young player who needs some experience like Gino to get those reps. What's the point of moving Yanda to a position he would never play during the season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's a preseason game. This is when you want a young player who needs some experience like Gino to get those reps. What's the point of moving Yanda to a position he would never play during the season?
    Because you don't want Suh blasting up the middle and taking Rice or Flacco out, oh man what a nightmare that would be.

He can help him with protections from the guard spot.

I didnt really seen gino whiff on a block he had lined up. He just a couple of times missed a blitz, and blocked the wrong player, or didnt have the line set. He wasnt beat 1 on 1 as such.

Yanda, and Williams should really be helping out in that regard a bit more, so he can see what they see a bit.

He needs experience because if these spasms are going to be recurrent throughout the year, we will need him at some point.

Blog Entries

Personally, I don't like the idea of shuffling around the offensive line. But hey, if that's what they think it's best, at least its preseaon.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Because you don't want Suh blasting up the middle and taking Rice or Flacco out, oh man what a nightmare that would be.
    This is true, but you do want to see how Gino does against the best of the best at the same time. He needs real experience. I know they will game plan around that dominant D-Line and Joe knows how to throw the ball away if needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    How do you know that Yanda would be any better trying to do something he doesn't do? Hiking the ball and then getting up to block isnt easy. I'd much rather have someone who at least knows how to block as a Center than someone who doesnt.

The bigger risk would be Flacco getting stepped on or hurt covering up an errant snap because Yanda doesnt know to play the position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    How do you know that Yanda would be any better trying to do something he doesn't do? Hiking the ball and then getting up to block isnt easy. I'd much rather have someone who at least knows how to block as a Center than someone who doesnt.

The bigger risk would be Flacco getting stepped on or hurt covering up an errant snap because Yanda doesnt know to play the position.
    Well he has taken sanps at TC before at center, there really isn't a huge difference between playing guard and center. Many guards have moved to center and excelled. Gino also played guard at Delaware not center.

Justin Boren at center. He knows the calls and adjustments and has good size at 315 and a nasty demeanor.
    Gino needs more time to learn the blocking adjustments, but we can't have players hurt while he learns.
    Which one is better?
    I don't know, but right now it is the mental side of the game that is hurting Gino..and Flacco and company.