Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft stuff...Tyrann Mathieu

There was a good film breakdown on him last year. He gets away with a ton of gambling because there's always another guy there to make the hit. He doesn't have to play sound, fundamental wrap-up defense, so he gets more "stats."

Left unanswered was whether he could adjust his game to take care of his assignment without help in an environment (NFL) where he won't have the talent disparity he enjoys most Saturdays at the college level.

He might, he might not. But the film breakdown showed a ton of INT's, PD's, FF's, all in situations where he was one of 2-3 guys converging on the receiver, and was free to try and jump the route or go for the big hit, knowing that somebody was always right there to clean up -- which frequently they had to.

He's a good football player, but he reminds me of Macho Harris -- a great Hokie, but not suited to the NFL. A lot of pre-draft nonsense about being a late first/early second. Nearly declared early then withdrew it.... wound up barely making the Eagles in 09 and now out of the league. Right now that's about what I see with Mathieu -- a really good, really talented football player who at least right now, is not a good fit for the NFL game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    There was a good film breakdown on him last year. He gets away with a ton of gambling because there's always another guy there to make the hit. He doesn't have to play sound, fundamental wrap-up defense, so he gets more "stats."

Left unanswered was whether he could adjust his game to take care of his assignment without help in an environment (NFL) where he won't have the talent disparity he enjoys most Saturdays at the college level.

He might, he might not. But the film breakdown showed a ton of INT's, PD's, FF's, all in situations where he was one of 2-3 guys converging on the receiver, and was free to try and jump the route or go for the big hit, knowing that somebody was always right there to clean up -- which frequently they had to.

He's a good football player, but he reminds me of Macho Harris -- a great Hokie, but not suited to the NFL. A lot of pre-draft nonsense about being a late first/early second. Nearly declared early then withdrew it.... wound up barely making the Eagles in 09 and now out of the league. Right now that's about what I see with Mathieu -- a really good, really talented football player who at least right now, is not a good fit for the NFL game.
    nice breakdown and basically coincides with what those scouts said.
    -JAB

Fantastic post, right on the money.

Legalize it
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Blog Entries

Totally agree.

Excellent college player...prob not bringing a lot to the NFL table. At 5'9" and 175lbs you have to be a pretty special player to find a fit into an nfl defense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    Legalize it
    While i dont disagree with you, thats not the point. He knows the expectations of LSU. They have been told to him plenty of times. He chose to disobey them.

I think Mathieu is that special player that will succeed despite not having ideal size. If a guy like Jim Leonhard can find a way to get on the field with his measurables, so can Mathieu.

When you make the plays he does, in the SEC, he is the type of guy that teams will find a way to get on the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While i dont disagree with you, thats not the point. He knows the expectations of LSU. They have been told to him plenty of times. He chose to disobey them.
    Some have said the stuff he had may have been legal in Louisiana. Maybe so.

Even so, team rules are team rules. It's not against the law to be late for practice every day, but doing that will get you kicked off your football team.

Blog Entries
    Im sure north alabama will take him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Im sure north alabama will take him.
    He has reportedly visited McNeese State. Also, about 20 schools have inquired about him. There are some reports that he may sit out the year and return to LSU for the 2013 season. If that's the case, he won't be in the next NFL draft.

Blog Entries

If he got booted from the team for team violations...why would that same team take him back?

His best bet is to transfer to a D-2 School and kick ass.

It's highly unlikely that he'd ever be a 1st round pick anyway just due to his size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You seem surprised GOTA.
    I really thought this kid was on his way to a monster season. Didnt think he'd screw it up since he's seen others get kicked off the team in the past. A couple of years ago LSU dumped their best QB for violating team rules. They're serious about this and most players realize it.