Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Paul Ryan VP announcement imminent

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/1...rability-3925/

Not worried about seniors.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Wow
    Did you guys bother to read the Gallup poll?

One, it's from April of 2011 ...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147287/Am...?version=print

Two, this was a RV poll, but 10% of those polled were not even registered to vote.

I'd love to see something more recent than a poll that's 18 months old.

EDIT: And not a very smart move going on 60 Minutes the same night as the Olympic closing ceremonies. Why not wait a week and max exposure next Sunday?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 08-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Did you guys bother to read the Gallup poll?

One, it's from April of 2011 ...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147287/Am...?version=print

Two, this was a RV poll, but 10% of those polled were not even registered to vote.

I'd love to see something more recent than a poll that's 18 months old.

EDIT: And not a very smart move going on 60 Minutes the same night as the Olympic closing ceremonies. Why not wait a week and max exposure next Sunday?
    Damn dude, they can't do anything right can they?

They're taking advantage of the pick being fresh in the news cycle. Who they hell watches the closing ceremonies anyway?

As far as the poll, I personally think it's good that a registered voter poll as they are usually less informed.

I'll bite. How is this "fact" exactly?
    If he needs a specific person to run for VP to do nothing more than help him win a state, then that means he cannot win it on his own. And if he cannot win Florida on his own he will not win the election. That's pretty factual.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Damn dude, they can't do anything right can they?

They're taking advantage of the pick being fresh in the news cycle. Who they hell watches the closing ceremonies anyway?
    The closing ceremony wins its slot every year it's on.

I could easily flip the script back to you and say "Damn, they can't do anything wrong".

I'll be the first to say it when I think they do something right or deserve praise. I just feel they haven't done much right lately. The polls bare that out.

Blog Entries

I could easily flip the script back to you and say "Damn, they can't do anything wrong".

I'll be the first to say it when I think they do something right or deserve praise. I just feel they haven't done much right lately. The polls bare that out.

You could, and I'll admit I'm an optimist so I do try to find the good in most everything, but we can go through and find where I've criticized things.

I feel since you thought he should be starting to hit back a few weeks or so ago that you haven't agreed with anything they've done. While I think you're right on things like they've been getting caught up in the back and forth and not staying on message, I agree with going on 60 minutes. Romney was beginning to get defined by BHO, getting on primetime with Ryan gets in front of BHO's defining Ryan (not that going on 60 minutes will stop him from trying.

(For now and future reference, please note that I'm a card-carrying Independent (fiscal con, social lib). I'm also a contrarian that likes to isht on conventional wisdom whenever possible.):D

My take on the Ryan pick is that in real-time, tweets, fb posts, polls, bus tour turnouts, ads, and excitement about conventions and future debates seem like they matter, but ultimately they only matter a little bit.

The BFD is electoral votes. Always is, right? So the question is an age-old, easy one (Stinger mentioned it upthread)...what does Ryan do for the ticket electorally?

I'll hold back my wall of text for now (people keep interrupting me here), but I don't think he does/will do as much as the Repubs need. VP candidates--to a small degree--can help a party lose an election, but have any really helped to win one?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'll hold back my wall of text for now (people keep interrupting me here), but I don't think he does/will do as much as the Repubs need. VP candidates--to a small degree--can help a party lose an election, but have any really helped to win one?
    Yes. Reagan.

Reagan was an outsider and many felt he jumped the line when he ran for Prez. His pick of Bush Sr for Veep was to get the establishment on board.

Yes. Reagan.

Reagan was an outsider and many felt he jumped the line when he ran for Prez. His pick of Bush Sr for Veep was to get the establishment on board.

Sure thing...but I'm suspecting that neither one of us was of age, yet if we had been, a ticket of you and me could have taken down Carter/Mondale.

Sure thing...but I'm suspecting that neither one of us was of age, yet if we had been, a ticket of you and me could have taken down Carter/Mondale.
    I'm not so sure about that. Reagan was behind / even with Carter for a good portion of the lead up to the election.

He eventually pulled away and, obviously, won big.

I'm not so sure about that. Reagan was behind / even with Carter for a good portion of the lead up to the election.

He eventually pulled away and, obviously, won big.
    I haven't refreshed my '80 election memory in awhile, but I recall Reagan nabbing a quarter of the Dems and most of the Indys being the predominate factors, but maybe that's not the complete picture. But to move the convo along, I can concede that Bush helped Reagan.

Do you see Ryan as the "swing state-flipper" needed?

Blog Entries

I haven't refreshed my '80 election memory in awhile, but I recall Reagan nabbing a quarter of the Dems and most of the Indys being the predominate factors, but maybe that's not the complete picture. But to move the convo along, I can concede that Bush helped Reagan.

Wisconsin... and other than that, it's hard to say.

Nope.

He's very popular in his district, but it's a district that does not hold much weight in state wide elections. It encompasses Racine, Kenosha and much of the plains to the west. State-wide, he's not a very popular figure and I do not see him being able to swing the state red, especially when you consider WI has not gone for the GOP since the 80's.

WI is beholden to two cities, Milwaukee and Madison. Neither of which will ever go red.

I think the narrative is written on him in Florida as well, accurate or not, seniors are not going to perceive him as some on the right are hoping. Seniors (LV's ages 65+) vote in lock step with the Dems, especially in Florida. The only exception to this was McCain 4 years ago. Polling since 2008 show overwhelming support for Obama by the seniors and I don't think Ryan changes that equation. In a state that's VERY close, it may very well come down to the senior vote in FL.

I can see him getting some traction in Ohio though. I think his message plays well there.