Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comrade Obama

Blog Entries

Comrade Obama

I really hope BHO continues to give speeches with a communism-like tone. All we (the country) would need is a nominee who would take advantage of this to make BHO a "one-termer"

“We do not begrudge wealth in this country. I want everybody here to do well. We aspire to financial success, but we also understand that we’re not successful just by ourselves

“We’re successful because somebody started the University of Michigan. We’re successful because somebody made an investment in all the federal research labs that created the internet. We’re successful because we have an outstanding military that costs money. We’re successful because somebody built roads and bridges. And laid broadband lines and these things didn’t just happen on their own. And if we all understand that we’ve got to pay for this stuff, it makes sense for those of us who’ve done best to do our fair share and to try to pass off that bill on to somebody else, that’s not right. That’s not who we are.”

In what universe is what you quoted communist in tone?

He's dead fucking right that no one in this country can be successful in a vacuum, we all rely on the benefits provided by our taxes.

Or if you want, you can try to tell me that you don't benefit from roads, police, firefighters, the military and coast guard, state schools, publicly funded waste management, sewage systems, farm subsidies, and a slew of other public programs?

The degree which each person should have to pay into those systems is a valid debate, but the idea that everyone has to pay at least a part into them is "communistic in nature" is utterly wrong.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369029,-76.761072
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Comrade Obama

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    In what universe is what you quoted communist in tone?

He's dead fucking right that no one in this country can be successful in a vacuum, we all rely on the benefits provided by our taxes.
    This is not just about this speech, when taken into account all the things he’s said and believes, what I see here is not about what we pay taxes for, it’s you couldn’t be successful without Government. You couldn't be successful unless other people paid their taxes for roads for you to drive to work. The line “those of us who've done best to do our fair share” i.e. give a little back…

Or if you want, you can try to tell me that you don't benefit from roads, police, firefighters, the military and coast guard, state schools, publicly funded waste management, sewage systems, farm subsidies, and a slew of other public programs?
    Ease up their Capt. Assumption…. I never said that. He acts like the people who are successful haven’t contributed to those things, just like I have.

The degree which each person should have to pay into those systems is a valid debate, but the idea that everyone has to pay at least a part into them is "communistic in nature" is utterly wrong.
    The degree which each person should have to pay into these things is not a valid debate. The degree is the same amount or percentage of what they make. Either we are all created equally or were not. I am not better or worse a person than you no matter how much I make, I should not be taxed more or less than you because of my income. Our percentage we pay should be the same, because we are equal.

But I don’t feel he’s talking about just taxes, I feel he thinks you’re great because Government as if Government came first and then people could be successful and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The degree which each person should have to pay into these things is not a valid debate. The degree is the same amount or percentage of what they make. Either we are all created equally or were not. I am not better or worse a person than you no matter how much I make, I should not be taxed more or less than you because of my income. Our percentage we pay should be the same, because we are equal.
    I'll get to your other points after work but I just wanted to single this out.

If you honestly think there is NO DEBATE about how much we should each be paying in taxes because it's so self evident to you that we should be paying a flat tax rate then you're exhibiting an incredible amount of ignorance about what that would mean to the vast majority of people in this country, likely even you.

A flat tax would be MASSIVELY regressive, it would never work without painfully raising the tax rate of the lowest earning groups. The idea that those who can afford to pay more shouldn't have to isn't equality, its a poor understanding of math.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

I'll get to your other points after work but I just wanted to single this out.

If you honestly think there is NO DEBATE about how much we should each be paying in taxes because it's so self evident to you that we should be paying a flat tax rate then you're exhibiting an incredible amount of ignorance about what that would mean to the vast majority of people in this country, likely even you.

A flat tax would be MASSIVELY regressive, it would never work without painfully raising the tax rate of the lowest earning groups. The idea that those who can afford to pay more shouldn't have to isn't equality, its a poor understanding of math.
    So let me get this straight. If I make 60,000 a year and you make 40,000 I should pay 25% and you should pay 20%?

Go look up the words "progressive tax" "regressive tax" and then google "why a flat tax won't work" and get back to me.

Blog Entries

Go look up the words "progressive tax" "regressive tax" and then google "why a flat tax won't work" and get back to me.
    No thanks. And while I said Our percentage should be the same I don't necessarily mean "flat tax" .

I would be in favor of the "fair tax"

A tax plan where we all pay the same rate is the definition of a flat tax.

Blog Entries

A tax plan where we all pay the same rate is the definition of a flat tax.
    BUT, you're talking flat tax on income, the fair tax is not on income.....

BUT, you're talking flat tax on income, the fair tax is not on income.....
    Huh?

They are the same thing.

I can google all three and find out why all three work / don't work. That's no argument.

I really hope BHO continues to give speeches with a communism-like tone. All we (the country) would need is a nominee who would take advantage of this to make BHO a "one-termer"
    Obama's speech was well-received and bumped him in the polls...especially with working-class, non-college educated moderates. If you think it was "communism-like", you need to get out more.