Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Holy shit the Steelers offensive line just got way better with two drafted rookies

All I've been hearing all summer long about the Steelers, is how their offensive line will just magically improve because they added two pretty good prospects to their team through the draft. David Decastro according to the media is the next Steve Hutchinson, and Mike Adams is an automatic pro bowler at left tackle.

Actually Mike Adams... gave up 2 sacks last night, and Decastro looked as far away as a young Steve Hutchinson as you could get, and hasn't looked good for all of training camp. Just yet another example of how you just can't assume a team became the favourites because of some drafted players that the draft analysts fell in love with.

By all accounts Decastro went even a little ahead of where teams had him on their draft board (even Eric said that Decastro wasn't worth trading up for). I think he was a little overrated because he was protecting Andrew Luck. I personally preferred Kevin Zeitler who is a much bigger and physical guard.

Btw I'm in no way saying that Decastro or Adams are busts already, I think they can become solid players in this league, but people need to temper their expectations of them.

Blog Entries
    Good thing for the Steelers that they have a QB who really doesn't need a good o-line. Ben converted a couple of 3rd and longs with guys all over him.

Blog Entries

Re: Holy shit the Steelers offensive line just got way better with two drafted rookies

Ive been hearing DeCastro has actually been on of their biggest disappointments so far. For being supposedly the most "pro ready" hes apparently having problems physically performing. KO so far has proved to be a much better prospect, but after this season and a few months in the gym that may equal back out. Adams I never really understood the praise, i didnt think he seemed that good before the off field issues. It was their first presseason game im sure that had plenty to do with it, Gradkowski for us looked pretty awful too, and has been getting nothing but praise. I dont think plugging to rookies will just fix their issues, but by the end of the year i have to assume theyll be better than they were at the end of last year regardless.
    -JAB

Re: Holy shit the Steelers offensive line just got way better with two drafted rookies

Remembering a story I saw on Decastro that mentioned he had a conversation with Ben about the NFL being physically too hard. He basically was saying that everyone he came against on defense are all really good. It was not a good sign from your 1st rounder as far as confidence goes. Also Adams the left tackle got hurt I believe and gave up a couple sacks.

All I can say is good luck with Haloti Ngata or Cody BOO-HOO.

Well, in all fairness, Courtney Upshaw hasn't exactly been that impressive so far either. But I think that the guard position is working out. It's just the LT position that's extremely worrysome.

Blog Entries

Upshaw didn't play last night...so I don't see where he has had the opportunity to impress or not.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    All I've been hearing all summer long about the Steelers, is how their offensive line will just magically improve because they added two pretty good prospects to their team through the draft. David Decastro according to the media is the next Steve Hutchinson, and Mike Adams is an automatic pro bowler at left tackle.

Actually Mike Adams... gave up 2 sacks last night, and Decastro looked as far away as a young Steve Hutchinson as you could get, and hasn't looked good for all of training camp. Just yet another example of how you just can't assume a team became the favourites because of some drafted players that the draft analysts fell in love with.

By all accounts Decastro went even a little ahead of where teams had him on their draft board (even Eric said that Decastro wasn't worth trading up for). I think he was a little overrated because he was protecting Andrew Luck. I personally preferred Kevin Zeitler who is a much bigger and physical guard.

Btw I'm in no way saying that Decastro or Adams are busts already, I think they can become solid players in this league, but people need to temper their expectations of them.
    I was watching the first half of the Eagles b/c I don't get any ravens games sadly. Mike Adams is going to really struggle with speed rushers for at least this year. The Eagles D-Line (Which you have to give credit for being as good as it is) absolutely burned the Steelers on the perimeter. I wish Suggs was healthy and could line up against Adams. It would be a field day.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Good thing for the Steelers that they have a QB who really doesn't need a good o-line. Ben converted a couple of 3rd and longs with guys all over him.
    Don't forget he was injured too. Can't forget how heroic he is for playing through all that pain...... :grbac:

Steelers lost their fullback for the season yesterday, that's got to hurt them some.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I do believe those were later in the game, after the first quarter. The starters basically only played the first quarter. The first teams worked very well, and handled the Eagles easily. I think it was 10 or 13 to 0 at that point with the Steelers pretty much controlling the ball for about 9 minutes. Of course, it is preseason, so we all know what that really means. And the Eagles have a top shelf D too. I think Roethlisberger went 7/8 for maybe 90 yards or so.

As I have said those mistakes came later in the game. Totally different dynamic. And this if the first time the O-line, like most, have played together. They will only improve. And regarding DeCastro's comments, what should he say, "They all suck." Regardless, the line will improve as what we have is consistency (barring injury). After all, we all thought Pouncy was a washout, and he did not start until the 3rd or 4th game.

Other news, for anyone interested, is that a new piece of the Steelers offense was injured, David Johnson. It looks like a torn ACL. It seems the Steelers were actually going to start using one. Sucks. I hope it is not another injury riddled year. That seems to be the issue with the Steelers.

So . . . . I feel the O-line will be fine. Not a bad outing for an new O-Line in a first game against a solid D. In other news, the Manning and Rogers sucked. Uh-ho . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Steelers lost their fullback for the season yesterday, that's got to hurt them some.
    yeah regardless of whether you like these games, the goal is to get through with no significant injuries.

Chargers lost Matthews for several weeks and I saw where Vick hit his hand on a helmet... the first of many

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    yeah regardless of whether you like these games, the goal is to get through with no significant injuries.

Chargers lost Matthews for several weeks and I saw where Vick hit his hand on a helmet... the first of many
    :word
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello