Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

Caveat to all comments below, I need to re-watch the game to be for sure.

Joe - Looked fine and had strong stats. Can't fault him for the vanilla PS routes Cammie had dialed up. Still watching him overthrow yet another deep ball is frustrating as hell. He and Jim, really, really need to address that shit.

Gino - Looked serviceable vs. the run. Obviously, needs to absorb and adjust for the speed of the NFL. His "mental ole" on that ILB blitz can be overcome, but stuff like that is expected of a young OL guy.

KO - Pretty impressive for his first go at it.

CWilliams - No reason to believe that he regressed, so I can only assume that he was not ready to play football. And the fact that he didn't try to better muscle the ATL WRs with replacement refs looking on is baffling. We'll hopefully see what Jimmy can do next week.

DThompson - Surprised me quite a bit. Short of a major regression vs. DET, DThompson's play means DReed gone; and unless Doss really impresses in PSGs 2-4, he's at-risk of not making the 53 (LQW #4, DThompson #5, ??? #6).

Kruger - Not too bad at all.

Sergio - Bigger than I remember him. Nothing great. Nothing terrible. Max reps needed.

Blog Entries

Streeter wasn't too bad either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Not player related but I REALLY hope Cam and the coaches don't go away from that uptempo, short passing game that they showed early...along with Joe calling plays at the line.

Don't get scared because it didn't work last night.

I was really happy with what I saw...not the results obviously, but I liked the way we attacked there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not player related but I REALLY hope Cam and the coaches don't go away from that uptempo, short passing game that they showed early...along with Joe calling plays at the line.

I was really happy with what I saw...not the results obviously, but I liked the way we attacked there.
    Agreed, and honestly, I thought that it did work pretty well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I liked seeing Curtis Painters grasp of the offense. I'm sorry even though it was against 3rd strings, he was pointing out line assignments left and right. I chalk that up to probably his time with Manning. This isn't that same offense as the Colts, but it appears that he is comfortable already in the new offense and makes good decisions. This gave him time for three TD passes and three TDs are still three TDs.
    Thanks
    That observation got me thinking as to why Painter is here, and has swung me to thinking that he is an "extra teaching coach" for Jim Caldwell.
    The bone to Painter is he has employment during training camp, will generate some game tape, and be available to others for injuries in season (assuming he doesn't stick, and no reason to believe he will).

From what you have observed, Caldwell gets someone who can sharpen Joe on line protection/calls, especially with the possibility of a rookie center possibly getting a game start in season. (Birk is old after all)
    How does a QB read the D, make play adjustments, and still follow the C's line calls to know if it is right? I have no idea, but if Painter could do it, Joe can learn to be even sharper and Painter brings somethingto the table I wasn't aware of...... Caldwell has an extra helper preseason. Make any sense?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I'm loving the Painter signing because it gives our backup WRs and TEs a great chance to show us what they got. They couldn't show anything trying to catch passes from the Hunter Cantwells of the world, not even sure they have much of a shot with Tyrod throwing them them the ball. Painter is not great, but he is an NFL QB and can complete passes.

This is a big preseason for every receiver not named Boldin, Smith or Jones, so it's nice to see a backup QB who will give them opportunities in these preseason games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

It did work once the o-line realize they had to block those guys in red jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I havent heard yet but i think the only way he gets IR'd is if ligaments tore as well. they took him for xrays and im pretty sure it was just broken. if its 8 weeks recovery, thatll be right when his suspension is up.
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure his suspension was reduced to three games. Not that it matters now unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure his suspension was reduced to three games. Not that it matters now unfortunately

It was. http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...ped-to-3-games

Thumbs up Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
    I'm loving the Painter signing because it gives our backup WRs and TEs a great chance to show us what they got. They couldn't show anything trying to catch passes from the Hunter Cantwells of the world, not even sure they have much of a shot with Tyrod throwing them them the ball. Painter is not great, but he is an NFL QB and can complete passes.

This is a big preseason for every receiver not named Boldin, Smith or Jones, so it's nice to see a backup QB who will give them opportunities in these preseason games.
    +1

Very good point!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KLynch View Post

This is an excellent point.

There seemed to be a lot more plays available for offensive guys last night.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I know McKinnie will be challenging Oher for the starting LT spot, but if Oher and KO were named the starting LT and RT, then I think they'd be ok. Getting Birk back in the middle will really help things.
    I don't disagree with this, but I'm hoping McKinnie plays well enough to start so that KO has a chance to move inside and possibly unseat Bobby Williams. I was not impressed with Williams at all