Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I hope Kris Wilson's phone is ringing today. We're going to need some TE help.

From what I saw of Bajema he definitely looked good enough to be our #3 TE. Of course I haven't seen practice but if he can block decently (and I think he's known as more of a blocking TE) I would be happy with him on the roster. It might have been against backups but he showed real good hands last night.

Blog Entries

The good:

Flacco/Smith combo
    Cody
    Kruger

The Bad:

The o-line as a whole
    Carey Williams
    Idiots taking the ball out from 9 yards deep in the EZ on kickoffs.

Oh Gradkowski missed really bad on some blocks early on, but settled down later in the 1st and 2nd qtr. It could have been communication issues. Some of those pressures up the middle that got Flacco hammered, he seemed to be the only linemen not engaged with a defensive player. KO seemed to lock his man up a majority of the time.

Blog Entries

Gino should get a pass though. He's a rookie and is learning the line calls and how to read and pick up blitzes. The Falcons knew this and took advantage of it.

I thought once the offense calmed down a bit and got into a rhythm Gino looked pretty good. Maybe not day-1 starter good...but he may be the best back up center this team has had in a few years.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gino should get a pass though. He's a rookie and is learning the line calls and how to read and pick up blitzes. The Falcons knew this and took advantage of it.

I thought once the offense calmed down a bit and got into a rhythm Gino looked pretty good. Maybe not day-1 starter good...but he may be the best back up center this team has had in a few years.
    That's a fair quote. I just remember also a sweep where he was to block at the 2nd level and he let his guy past and that guy got into the play. I was more thinking of Joe's health after seeing Tyrod play.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The Bad:
    Idiots taking the ball out from 9 yards deep in the EZ on kickoffs.
    Ehhh.... This doesn't bother me in preseason (I agree with you if the guy is the 100% starter). Most of these guys returning kicks in Game 1 of Preseason get one shot to do something... They can't show anything by taking a knee. It's not like having the ball on the 12 instead of the 20 is going to change any play calling in Pre-season anyhow.

I have a question about Tucker though... Was that FG a 36 or a 46 yarder? I had 2 kids talking my ear off at that moment and could clearly hear the TV. I swore they said it was a 46 yarder... he made it look like a 36 yarder. I really hope Tucker is the guy they go with. Hell, Cundiff couldn't even get the opening KO right. Harbaugh specifically wanted to see a return. You would think a kicker with any brains in Cundiff's position would put that ball on the 10 instead of 10 yards deep in the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Yeah I think when they drafted him, they intended on him sitting behind Birk for at LEAST one year. It's a whole new ball game coming from Delaware to the NFL. I think it shows how much more impressive it was that Joe was able to do it so quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Ehhh.... This doesn't bother me in preseason (I agree with you if the guy is the 100% starter). Most of these guys returning kicks in Game 1 of Preseason get one shot to do something... They can't show anything by taking a knee. It's not like having the ball on the 12 instead of the 20 is going to change any play calling in Pre-season anyhow.

I have a question about Tucker though... Was that FG a 36 or a 46 yarder? I had 2 kids talking my ear off at that moment and could clearly hear the TV. I swore they said it was a 46 yarder... he made it look like a 36 yarder. I really hope Tucker is the guy they go with. Hell, Cundiff couldn't even get the opening KO right. Harbaugh specifically wanted to see a return. You would think a kicker with any brains in Cundiff's position would put that ball on the 10 instead of 10 yards deep in the end zone.
    I believe it was a 36 yard FG.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Back to players that impressed me.

#83, Lee Evans finally looked legit. lol...

Why the hell does Atlanta have those stupid cameras surrounded in padding. So stupid. Thompson 'bout broke his neck.

Rainey and Bajema looked good too.

Caveat to all comments below, I need to re-watch the game to be for sure.

Joe - Looked fine and had strong stats. Can't fault him for the vanilla PS routes Cammie had dialed up. Still watching him overthrow yet another deep ball is frustrating as hell. He and Jim, really, really need to address that shit.

Gino - Looked serviceable vs. the run. Obviously, needs to absorb and adjust for the speed of the NFL. His "mental ole" on that ILB blitz can be overcome, but stuff like that is expected of a young OL guy.

KO - Pretty impressive for his first go at it.

CWilliams - No reason to believe that he regressed, so I can only assume that he was not ready to play football. And the fact that he didn't try to better muscle the ATL WRs with replacement refs looking on is baffling. We'll hopefully see what Jimmy can do next week.

DThompson - Surprised me quite a bit. Short of a major regression vs. DET, DThompson's play means DReed gone; and unless Doss really impresses in PSGs 2-4, he's at-risk of not making the 53 (LQW #4, DThompson #5, ??? #6).

Kruger - Not too bad at all.

Sergio - Bigger than I remember him. Nothing great. Nothing terrible. Max reps needed.

Blog Entries

Streeter wasn't too bad either.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Not player related but I REALLY hope Cam and the coaches don't go away from that uptempo, short passing game that they showed early...along with Joe calling plays at the line.

Don't get scared because it didn't work last night.

I was really happy with what I saw...not the results obviously, but I liked the way we attacked there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not player related but I REALLY hope Cam and the coaches don't go away from that uptempo, short passing game that they showed early...along with Joe calling plays at the line.

Don't get scared because it didn't work last night.

I was really happy with what I saw...not the results obviously, but I liked the way we attacked there.
    Agreed, and honestly, I thought that it did work pretty well.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I liked seeing Curtis Painters grasp of the offense. I'm sorry even though it was against 3rd strings, he was pointing out line assignments left and right. I chalk that up to probably his time with Manning. This isn't that same offense as the Colts, but it appears that he is comfortable already in the new offense and makes good decisions. This gave him time for three TD passes and three TDs are still three TDs.
    Thanks
    That observation got me thinking as to why Painter is here, and has swung me to thinking that he is an "extra teaching coach" for Jim Caldwell.
    The bone to Painter is he has employment during training camp, will generate some game tape, and be available to others for injuries in season (assuming he doesn't stick, and no reason to believe he will).

From what you have observed, Caldwell gets someone who can sharpen Joe on line protection/calls, especially with the possibility of a rookie center possibly getting a game start in season. (Birk is old after all)
    How does a QB read the D, make play adjustments, and still follow the C's line calls to know if it is right? I have no idea, but if Painter could do it, Joe can learn to be even sharper and Painter brings somethingto the table I wasn't aware of...... Caldwell has an extra helper preseason. Make any sense?
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.

I'm loving the Painter signing because it gives our backup WRs and TEs a great chance to show us what they got. They couldn't show anything trying to catch passes from the Hunter Cantwells of the world, not even sure they have much of a shot with Tyrod throwing them them the ball. Painter is not great, but he is an NFL QB and can complete passes.

This is a big preseason for every receiver not named Boldin, Smith or Jones, so it's nice to see a backup QB who will give them opportunities in these preseason games.