Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Shift in Offensive Philosophies?

Anyone else catch this nugget hidden in an otherwise fluff story about Flacco on ESPN?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...ens-next-level

"Harbaugh said he envisions the offense playing up-tempo, frequently utilizing the no-huddle, with the ball coming out of Flacco's hands quickly. They will look to strike downfield but also rely on Rice to run the ball. Harbaugh said he expects Flacco's completion percentage to climb to nearly 70 percent.

"We're putting in the offense that we've envisioned having," Harbaugh said."

Flacco seems to perform much better in these situations, so we can only hope that this is actually true...

Blog Entries

Re: Shift in Offensive Philosophies?

We seem to hear that every year. Then the pass protections breaks down a little and Cam goes into turtle mode. Hopefully this year is different. They certainly have the weapons to make it happen

AH HA. Some has finally found something that heard from another source.

In the story I read, it was termed more of a "spread offense" and quick timing patterns. I just cannot find the link on where that story was. It didn't go in-depth, but did mention that the reporter saw some new wrinkles in the offense and liked what they saw.

They also noted that Flacco was quicker in his release and decision making. All point to a big year and increased numbers.

Good find.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    AH HA. Some has finally found something that heard from another source.

In the story I read, it was termed more of a "spread offense" and quick timing patterns. I just cannot find the link on where that story was. It didn't go in-depth, but did mention that the reporter saw some new wrinkles in the offense and liked what they saw.

They also noted that Flacco was quicker in his release and decision making. All point to a big year and increased numbers.

Good find.
    Oh man I am excited. Can this season start already?

Blog Entries

Maybe a little of Jim Caldwell influence in all of this?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

good... what took them so long?... oh wait, its August and this means nothing until i see it in September.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We seem to hear that every year. Then the pass protections breaks down a little and Cam goes into turtle mode. Hopefully this year is different. They certainly have the weapons to make it happen
    Sadly I agree with this.

Although...although I will say that the team did go to a very wide open offense at the beginning of Joe's second year. WE opened up against KC and we were extremely pass heavy and really stayed that way for the first 4 weeks or so...I can't recall a time we threw the ball as much as we did against KC, the first Browns game, and NE since the Vinny years.

But it seemed that as we started to struggle (to no fault of Joe's...Clayton dropped that 4th down pass at the 8, the defense allowed a last second TD against the Bengals and Haushka missed that kick against the Vikings), we pulled in the reigns and we never really came back to that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    good... what took them so long?... oh wait, its August and this means nothing until i see it in September.
    :word

How is Flacco's completion rate going to climb toward 70 if he's throwing down-field more? Flacco <> Drew Brees
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

We'll all find out at the same time whether this is true or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    How is Flacco's completion rate going to climb toward 70 if he's throwing down-field more? Flacco <> Drew Brees
    Maybe they aren't going to go down field as much?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    If you factor out all the drops last year, Flacco's completion percentage would be close to 70%.