Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Three players who impressed, three who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure his suspension was reduced to three games. Not that it matters now unfortunately
    guess i was a little off on that one. i also read now that its been confirmed as a broken ankle theres some rehab involved. I think its likely he doesnt make the team now. Hes not going to help us much until 1/2 way through the season more than likely now.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not player related but I REALLY hope Cam and the coaches don't go away from that uptempo, short passing game that they showed early...along with Joe calling plays at the line.

Don't get scared because it didn't work last night.

I was really happy with what I saw...not the results obviously, but I liked the way we attacked there.
    I liked it, and would add that up-tempo/NH is truly effective when you're aggressive in play calling, which we aren't going to do in PS. The aerial connections were there though vs. ATL, and that's a very promising sign that hopefully we continue to see.

Fixing the OL is always a big deal around here, but if we can do that then the mechanics of a dazzling offense should be a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Thanks
    That observation got me thinking as to why Painter is here, and has swung me to thinking that he is an "extra teaching coach" for Jim Caldwell.
    The bone to Painter is he has employment during training camp, will generate some game tape, and be available to others for injuries in season (assuming he doesn't stick, and no reason to believe he will).

From what you have observed, Caldwell gets someone who can sharpen Joe on line protection/calls, especially with the possibility of a rookie center possibly getting a game start in season. (Birk is old after all)
    How does a QB read the D, make play adjustments, and still follow the C's line calls to know if it is right? I have no idea, but if Painter could do it, Joe can learn to be even sharper and Painter brings somethingto the table I wasn't aware of...... Caldwell has an extra helper preseason. Make any sense?
    I definately feel that Painter is that extra eye for Joe and Caldwell. Sometimes things only click when your co-worker tells you and not your superior. It's now crossing your T's and dotting your I's now aka refinement.

If him being here helps in the small things such as grasping Caldwell's teachings and turning Joe into thinker at the line as well as a playmaker, he should have a great year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I don't disagree with this, but I'm hoping McKinnie plays well enough to start so that KO has a chance to move inside and possibly unseat Bobby Williams. I was not impressed with Williams at all
    I agree that he wasn't that impressive last night, but I think a lot of that will get better when Birk comes back.

Having a rookie center beside you when you already are still learning the offense is not easy at all.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Props to Kindle for getting through a whole game with (what seemed to be) a lot of snaps. He set the edge well on some plays which is important considering stopping the run wasn't his strong point coming out.
    He better be able to stop the run because he wasn't doing anything rushing the passer. He took a horrid angle on the one shot he had at a sack. I don't think the guy makes the cut.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The good:

Idiots taking the ball out from 9 yards deep in the EZ on kickoffs.
    I am sure they were told to do so to get practice. In fact most of the time they got to

Always fun watching in preseason to see what the young players bring to the table. An extra bonus last night was that it helped dissipate the lingering stink that our first-stringers left on the field in the opening quarter.

On offense, I thought Deonte Thompson and Bobby Rainey really shined. I want to see more of both. On the other hand, Anthony Allen appears to have regressed since last year. Watching his performance made me start to come around to the idea of signing a vet change-of-pace RB. KO did well enough on the O-line, but Gino understandably needs more work. I wonder if I didn't miss a couple of plays involving Tommy Streeter, because some posters here have given him game props, but I can't honestly say I saw anything special from him.

As to the defense, Asa Jackson seems to have a lot of promise, despite a rookie mistake on punt coverage. Christian Thompson had a nice big hit for the highlight reel. 2nd-year CB Danny Gorrer didn't see the field until fairly late, but I thought he played well. And who the heck is Omar Brown?? The Ravens seem to have a lot of secondary talent going into the season.

Justin Tucker split the uprights on his moderate-distance FG, which he really needed. I suspect the kicking job is still Cundiff's to lose. Tucker will have to keep doing everything right to win the job, and Cundiff will have to miss one or two. But I bet Tucker gets himself an NFL kicking job this year; only question is in which city.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Always fun watching in preseason to see what the young players bring to the table. An extra bonus last night was that it helped dissipate the lingering stink that our first-stringers left on the field in the opening quarter.

On offense, I thought Deonte Thompson and Bobby Rainey really shined. I want to see more of both. On the other hand, Anthony Allen appears to have regressed since last year. Watching his performance made me start to come around to the idea of signing a vet change-of-pace RB. KO did well enough on the O-line, but Gino understandably needs more work. I wonder if I didn't miss a couple of plays involving Tommy Streeter, because some posters here have given him game props, but I can't honestly say I saw anything special from him.

As to the defense, Asa Jackson seems to have a lot of promise, despite a rookie mistake on punt coverage. Christian Thompson had a nice big hit for the highlight reel. 2nd-year CB Danny Gorrer didn't see the field until fairly late, but I thought he played well. And who the heck is Omar Brown?? The Ravens seem to have a lot of secondary talent going into the season.

Justin Tucker split the uprights on his moderate-distance FG, which he really needed. I suspect the kicking job is still Cundiff's to lose. Tucker will have to keep doing everything right to win the job, and Cundiff will have to miss one or two. But I bet Tucker gets himself an NFL kicking job this year; only question is in which city.
    I can see why Streeter needs work on running routes, but he caught and secured the ball well with a guy draped all over him and pushed forward to what should have been a 1st down. I was hoping they'd toss one to him in the end zone so he could go up and get it, but it didn't happen.

Omar Brown is out of Marshall. A lot of head's up plays for him last night.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

THE IMPRESSIVE:
    Our backups are better than their backups. In particular: Bobby Rainey (at RB, not KR. He looked like a rookie/liability at KR), Deonte Thompson, Streeter

With Cody, there is nowhere to run between the tackles. I repeat, nowhere.

AGAIN, for the millionth time (how many years have we said this???), when Flacco was in the shotgun, he surveyed the field quickly and let the ball fly with accuracy.

THE NOT-SO-IMPRESSIVE:
    The combination of Oher,Williams, Gradkowski made me clutch my chest. When Flacco got hit, the Raven's season flashed before my eyes.

Kindle did not impress. He allowed himself to get out of position, and didn't get good push on any tackles (that I saw).

If Anthony Allen remains 2nd on the depth chart, then Wilber Montgomery needs a surprise piss test.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I can see why Streeter needs work on running routes, but he caught and secured the ball well with a guy draped all over him and pushed forward to what should have been a 1st down. I was hoping they'd toss one to him in the end zone so he could go up and get it, but it didn't happen.

Streeter was open several times, but Tyrod couldn't see him.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Good

WR Corp as a whole- fast and explosive.
    KO/McKinnie McKinnie looked good at 358lbs compared to 377 same time last year, plus only
    Had only 1 practice so far.
    McPhee/Cody/Kruger

Bad

Allen
    Officiating
    Cundiff barely squeezed extra point through on first TD.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Thanks for the info about Omar.

If you're talking about that Streeter catch where the refs mis-spotted the ball resulting in a 4th down that pissed off Harbaugh, it was good but I guess I just didn't see it as all that special. Just my opinion. I thought Thompson was much more impressive, but both guys will continue to get a lot of looks in preseason.