Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: The HOLY SHIT OUR SEASON IS OVER thread

Curtis Painter is our future!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Wow. After having actually now watched the first half of the game, I cannot even begin to describe how NOT concerned that game makes me.

- C -
    The only thing that worries me is how bad Cary Williams played (who was pretty much single handedly gave up 155 yards to Matt Ryan). And that's not too much of a worry, he will most likely be the #3 corner this year, and possibly the #4 if one of our younger corners manages to beat him out. Didn't this guy turn down 5 mills a year? He better start playing like he deserves more than that, because the Ravens aint paying him that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jd345 View Post
    This ^^^ I joined this board after reading for about 4 years religiously...we are on the right track people...will we win the Super Bowl this year...who the hell knows...but we are trying to make improvements from last year...last year we were one drop from a Super Bowl (or one missed kick from tieing it...and being the "bride"). People can call us "bridesmaids" all they want but 14 other teams each year in the AFC would love a chance at being the bridesmaids. We try to make "improvements" to the playbook and gameplan and people bitch...there are growing pains when you try something new...it is the preseason...when else are you going to try it??? I am as critical of Cam as everyone else...there are ties I scream from my seat in Section 524 what the bhell are you doing Cam...but I also got to scream it during a home playoff game :) meaning we were doing something right which means the fact remains we put a winning team on the field. If we want slight changes to that winning team than we have to put up with some growing pains through the preseason and gasp......even maybe the beginning of the season (as long as we win I am okay with some growing pains). People, in multiple threads (not all of you...most of you know what you are talking about) act like we need to overhaul this offensive. The only thing we need is for this Oline to gel and Cam be willing to listen to Caldwell and Flacco to a point...the pieces are in place...enjoy the ride :) GO RAVENS!!!
    I love your optimistic mindset and welcome to the board but....

As far as pieces in place, at this point we seriously lack pass rushers and the o-line is a clusterfuck of guys that are too old and too young, imo. Both are legit (dire) concerns. I think we were much better set up going into the 2010 and 2011 seasons. I hope it comes together!

The progress made from ATL to DET is what will matter in the short-term.
    If the OL looks the same then I'll be alarmed. Not jumping off the Key Bridge alarmed, but alarmed.

Individually, I expect better efforts from both Williams.

I'm excited about our depth and I'm excited that we have speed and hard hitters among our DBs/STs, and speed among our WRs. I can't recall ever having both in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    The progress made from ATL to DET is what will matter in the short-term.
    If the OL looks the same then I'll be alarmed. Not jumping off the Key Bridge alarmed, but alarmed.

Individually, I expect better efforts from both Williams.

I'm excited about our depth and I'm excited that we have speed and hard hitters among our DBs/STs, and speed among our WRs. I can't recall ever having both in this town.
    I agree mostly.
    I have been very skeptical of a number of players and coaches over the years.
    But when I looked at this current group of players and watching how our offense was going no huddle, I feel better looking down the road a little.
    I think the Oline will certainly dictate the type of season Joe will have.
    And the last time we had all of this speed at WR, DBs and STs, the Ravens brought home a Lombardi.
    So, I think the talent is there.
    I think Cam IS doing some things I was hoping he would do.

And I want to remind everyone about the 2008 preseason...when Joe was a rookie and everyone, after seeing his bad starts, thought, oh well, we are going to suck.

Then later screaming when we were in the AFC Championship game.

Let's give these guys a chance to work out the wrinkles, especially the young guys.
    I think this team gets better every single week as the young guys go from learning to just playing and Joe gets more accustomed to each receiver's speed and route running.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I love your optimistic mindset and welcome to the board but....

As far as pieces in place, at this point we seriously lack pass rushers and the o-line is a clusterfuck of guys that are too old and too young, imo. Both are legit (dire) concerns. I think we were much better set up going into the 2010 and 2011 seasons. I hope it comes together!
    The Oline will barely be different to the 2011 line. It will probably be McKinnie, Williams, Birk, Yanda, Oher. The only guy we're missing from that is Grubbs. I still expect KO to challenge Williams for the LG spot if he continues to play well, plus we have better depth on the Oline than we did last year.

The pass rushing side of things are what concerns me, however that doesn't mean we can't have one of the better pass rushing defense in the league. With the players we have, we are still going to be a top 10 unit in terms of yards/points/red zone defense, if we can at least be in the better half of the league in sacks, then I don't thnk we'll have too much of a problem. As good as JJ was, he was never much of a pass rusher, so it's arguably been improved on that side with Kruger replacing him. Upshaw is not going to replace Suggs' production as a pass rusher, but anything around 8 sacks would be pretty damn good for him.

At Alabama Upshaw played in the toughest conference in football, and won MVP in the BCS bowl, and he's a pretty damn good run defender (his main strength coming out of college). You can say what you want about his athletic issues, and hefty weight for a LB, but the boy wins and produces at the big games, and that's all that matters to me. Would take him over Quinton Coples or Chandler Jones (both big athletic, but not as productive as Upshaw) So all in all, yes there will be a dip in production with Suggs out, but there still aren't many teams man for man who can match our talent on defense.

I actually do remember everyone worrying about how we where going to take a step back last year as well, saying that we didn't have the pieces to make another run, yet we ended up being a significantly better team than the 2010 team.

Leachisabeast: Agree on Williams being the only concerning thing. But I'm sorta steeling myself to the thought that the dude is a one year wonder, and thinking he'll likely be the #3 or #4 guy behind Webb, Smith and maybe Jackson. He'd be fine there.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Leachisabeast: Agree on Williams being the only concerning thing. But I'm sorta steeling myself to the thought that the dude is a one year wonder, and thinking he'll likely be the #3 or #4 guy behind Webb, Smith and maybe Jackson. He'd be fine there.

- C -
    I think that is a definite possibility. Cary was REALLY picked on out there against Atlanta. Webb got beat once by Julio, but Matt Ryan really went after Cary Williams.

Why? He has no ball-skills. He plays great cover corner and he tackles well, but he has no ball-skills whatsoever. So, even in tight coverage if he's not putting his hands out there to bat down passes and/or pick them off (which he could have probably had at least 1 INT against Atlanta) then he's going to get picked on by good QB's and good WR's. I also noticed he played with his back to the QB a lot, which is a good indicator for the QB to go that direction because they have no idea when the ball is coming and when it is coming. A good WR will stay calm until the last second and make a play before the corner even has time to relax.

I wouldn't sleep on Corey Graham playing a lot of corner this year either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I don't know, Corey Graham still looks like a Safety to me. By the way, has Jimmy Smith started practicing fully yet?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't know, Corey Graham still looks like a Safety to me. By the way, has Jimmy Smith started practicing fully yet?
    as of yesterday Smith was a limited participant.
    -JAB

And he got his feet tied up with a receiver and was walking gingerly for a while.
    Captain Offense