OT Did Sean Payton blow the whistle to the NFL on the NO bounty scandle

I've been trying to figure out why the NFL is seemingly going to extraordinary lengths to protect its sources in the Jonathan Vilma/NO bountygate scandel. If Sean Payton did blow the whistle - and it was made public, his NFL coaching career would be over. No matter where he went there would always be players who wouldn't trust him. If he did - and he took the biggest punishment hit (the year long immediate suspension) - accepted almost willingly and without complaint - he could skate out from under this scandel after a year - and resume his career as an elite NFL coach.

Blog Entries

Re: OT Did Sean Payton blow the whistle to the NFL on the NO bounty scandle

Do you realize the magnitude of that which you are suggesting?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Huh? On his own team?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Why would Payton risk being suspended the year New Orleans hosts the Super Bowl? Why would he also risk the millions of dollars he won't get paid because he's suspended? People just don't give up millions if it can be avoided. I'm sure Payton cooperated once caught but he's gains nothing by blowing the whistle on his own team and loses a lot.

Maybe instead of saying that he blew the whistle, I should have said (since you agree that he cooperated once caught) that maybe he was the one who pointed the finger (and gave evidence) against the specific players involved - ie. Jonathan Vilma, et. al. Although I guess there is a technical difference between the two - the essence of it is essentially the same. And that the NFL is covering this up - by holding everything so close to the vest - and by giving him the year long suspension - that he basically rolled over and accepted without any significant protest that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why would Payton risk being suspended the year New Orleans hosts the Super Bowl? Why would he also risk the millions of dollars he won't get paid because he's suspended? People just don't give up millions if it can be avoided. I'm sure Payton cooperated once caught but he's gains nothing by blowing the whistle on his own team and loses a lot.

I think it was Larry the Cable Guy, and the NFL is trying to protect him because Roger Goodell has a soft spot for overrated comedians.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.