Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Confirmed: New offense similiar to Pats

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    no. Cam is Air Coryell i dont think hes adept to change philosophy, if we wanted to do that we would have changed coordinators this year.
    Cam just needs to incorporate and not necessarily change it all. Some of what got us to the AFCCG is that philosophy, but you also see when it sputters (Jacksonville game/San Diego game).

San Diego runs close to the same offense. They are as inconsistent as they come as far as winning goes and the offense can go hot and cold, but still ranks pretty high. I think this may be a flaw with its current design, as well as player execution issues, but also the conservative nature of the coaches (Harbs too). All combined just makes us frustrated at the inability to get its potential to the max.

Ditto to trailhiker.

The personnel groupings are what could look similar to the Pats. The play calling and execution will likely remain different. That doesn't mean there won't be changes. Flacco seems bound and determined to get this offense to change. I just don't think it's going to start closely resembling the Pats offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Ditto to trailhiker.

The personnel groupings are what could look similar to the Pats. The play calling and execution will likely remain different. That doesn't mean there won't be changes. Flacco seems bound and determined to get this offense to change. I just don't think it's going to start closely resembling the Pats offense.
    I agree. The Ravens don't have the Pats o-line or tight ends. The Pats don't have anyone close to Ray Rice. The Pats also love to do creative things with personnel. Can anyone see Dickson going in motion and becoming the RB like Hernandez does? Do the Patriots even have a fullback on their roster? These teams are very different I don't see how they could run similar systems.

Thats not what that article says. It says the personnel looks similar to the Pats and when they do go to the hurry up they could look like the Pats, not whether they will be going to the hurry up more or less often

Blog Entries

Let's clear this up. When John Harbaugh says that they finally feel that they have the pieces to run their system, that system is and will be a Coryell based system. What they are saying is that you won't see possession slot guys running those less comfortable routes, nearly as often, because you now have Torrey and Jacoby. They tried it last year with Evans, who would have eventually been paired with Torrey, but Lee couldn't stay healthy.

Now, they have speed on both sides of Boldin, to put him in the slot where they really want him, and they have Dickson at TE. Now, we all know how Dickson can improve, so the jury may still be out on him. Plus, we know of Jacoby Jones' reputation.

However, what we also might see, coinciding with the arrival of Jim Caldwell, is an offense that does a better job of setting up what they are really trying to do.

Indianapolis' offense was also a vertical passing offense, not very sophisticated, with stretch run plays. A.) Peyton did a good job of faking audibles to get the defense out of position, and B.) They did a better job of setting up the deeper routes, with slants, ins, etc. Next, they would hit you with the sluggo, stop and go, etc.

That 'might' be what we see more of this year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    So that's how the patriots have been cheating all these years! The giants just wanted to even up the numbers on that last drive.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Thats not what that article says. It says the personnel looks similar to the Pats and when they do go to the hurry up they could look like the Pats, not whether they will be going to the hurry up more or less often
    You're right. I heard Kirwin when he said it. He was talking about the Ravens using more 2 Tight Ends and a lot less Vontae Leach this year which is the formation the Patriots use mostly. That's a big jump to say that the Ravens offense will be similar to the Pats

Agreed, this is not going to be a "new" offense. The OP is reaching.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let's clear this up. When John Harbaugh says that they finally feel that they have the pieces to run their system, that system is and will be a Coryell based system. What they are saying is that you won't see possession slot guys running those less comfortable routes, nearly as often, because you now have Torrey and Jacoby. They tried it last year with Evans, who would have eventually been paired with Torrey, but Lee couldn't stay healthy.

Now, they have speed on both sides of Boldin, to put him in the slot where they really want him, and they have Dickson at TE. Now, we all know how Dickson can improve, so the jury may still be out on him. Plus, we know of Jacoby Jones' reputation.

However, what we also might see, coinciding with the arrival of Jim Caldwell, is an offense that does a better job of setting up what they are really trying to do.

Indianapolis' offense was also a vertical passing offense, not very sophisticated, with stretch run plays. A.) Peyton did a good job of faking audibles to get the defense out of position, and B.) They did a better job of setting up the deeper routes, with slants, ins, etc. Next, they would hit you with the sluggo, stop and go, etc.

That 'might' be what we see more of this year.
    What he ^ said. I pretty much mentioned the same thing in another thread regarding our offensive philosophy. We are not in any way shape, or form, going to let Flacco chuck the ball around like Brady in NE. We will run the Coryell based system, we just now have the players to run it more effectively and set up our shots. Assuming Jones and Torey stay healthy this should finally give this system what it needs. The underneath will open up giving us the short routes and Leach and Rice room to roam. Keep stacking the box and we take our shot deep. The wild card in this is Caldwell. One has to wonder how much say he has in the gameplan and adjusments during the game. Just from reading articles (which is all I can base the following opinion on) it seems Joe has built up a great relationship with Caldwell. This could get "interesting," especially with mid game adjustments as to how much input Caldwell and Flacco will have in regards to the offense. Exciting times...GO RAVENS!

While the offense under Flacco was not that impressive, if what Painter did under the system is any indication of things to come, I think that we'll be in good hands. I also like our runningbacks. Maybe the return of a 3-4 headed monster?

What I saw last night, while not executed properly, I did see more shorter passes to the flat as well as a crossing patterns that for some reason the last four years was rarely used. That coupled with some back shoulder throws and a lot of down the seam throws to the TEs, there is some reason to get excited. Not by that showing by the 1st team though.

Painter showcased some of that to be honest regardless of the string that was out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Thats all we can do. Couple this with the Jaw film room with Joe, I think that it's not a question of if, but when. I'm sure the owner is sick of being a bridesmaid to the superbowl as well and Joe emphasized that in that interview.
    The offensive philosophy is not going to change. Did we suddenly change coordinators? The owner is perfectly happy with being a bridesmaid to the super bowl, hence Cam is still employed. Anyone who thinks the offense is going to suddenly do things differently is fooling themselves.