Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: #3 WR and kicker already decided?

Ideally, a young guy like Doss or LQ should win the job so they can grow with the system. This is the norm, but unfortunately, we dont have the norm here. Our system's success is predicated on our WRs getting open on their own when runnng deep, longer developing routes. Jones' speed and height fits that profile of what Cam is looking for (height included b/c being 'open' in todays NFL is a vertical measure also).

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoeJangles View Post
    I get the feeling Harbaugh was trying to convey the point to Cundiff that he was not going to be cut based on last season, and especially the kick. However, I would think out performing a rookie kicker would qualify as "taking care of his business". Up until this point he has not "taken care of his business".
    This. What happened in Foxborough last year should not factor in the decision at all. BUT if Tucker outperforms Cundiff in TC/preseason (as he has been thus far) he should absolutely get the job

Wonderful points and exactly what Mr. Weil should be doing in his role with the Ravens...on the same note can anyone think of any kicker (at least in recent history...past 20 years) that has missed a "crucial pressure filled kick"in the playoffs and then came back and had a probowl season making the pressure kicks? Not one comes to mind for me. If this is the case the numbers, according to probability, certainly favor Tucker. With that said, Harbaugh is in a tricky spot from a leadership role in my opinion. He can't simply cut Cundiff because of what happened last year, he has to support him as well as do the other players in leadership roles. If they don't offer their support, at least publicly, what is the message sent to the rest of the team (that you can be cut because of one bad play)? That is how a locker room comes apart quickly...when coaches and players start pointing fingers at each other and not accepting losses as a team effort. If Tucker keeps this up in training camp though and kicks well through the preseason the team has the perfect reason (and rightfully so) to name him our starting pk and cut Cundiff. Count me in as Team Tucker as long as his performance remains consistent through the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Ideally, a young guy like Doss or LQ should win the job so they can grow with the system. This is the norm, but unfortunately, we dont have the norm here. Our system's success is predicated on our WRs getting open on their own when runnng deep, longer developing routes. Jones' speed and height fits that profile of what Cam is looking for (height included b/c being 'open' in todays NFL is a vertical measure also).
    The norm is put the best players on the field: those that know the book, fit the scheme, are good technicians, and are reliable.
    As it happens, Jones gets first dibs at proving himself at #3.

Doss had his shot, but has been out for a week, and won't see the field @ ATL b/c of it. Of course, he was going to have to really show-out to take the #3 from Jones anyway. I mean REALLY show out considering he registered as many catches as you and me combined in 2011. Doss --my PS favorite to secure the #3--is out of the mix IMO; and if Jones and LQW stay healthy, he could go another entire season w/o registering a catch.

LQW looks/reads like a strong #4 ("strong" is relative to this franchise, since we've never had more than three serviceable WRs ever IMO), and thanks to Doss' physical setback, he will take the #3 if Jones shows us sustained regression.

Overall, the PS is huge for LQW; he could plant a nice seed in the mind of the staff. Assuming he knows the book, and will indeed catch the ball; if he happens to show, for example, some jump-ball or YAC skill (two things that Jones hasn't shown ever) then Jones will be on a shorter leash.

"Justin is just a completely different guy. He’s a young kid out of college,” Cundiff said. “The maturity level is completely different than somebody like myself who’s been around. Going on my ninth season, I’ve kind of seen a lot, done a lot, that whole deal. So they have a little more experience with me here.”

Here's where Cundiff played his college ball

Here's where Tucker played his college ball

Somehow I'm thinking Tucker has seen alot and done alot kicking for the Texas Longhorns while Cundiff kicked at that football hotbed called "Drake University"
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

This reminds me of last year's CB situation. You had Lardarius Webb letting everybody know that he doesn't care that they drafted Jimmy, because Jimmy is going to be paired with him and how he's going to show the world "Who Webb Is". Then, you had Jimmy telling everybody that he was drafted to be the man and will prove to be the man. Then, you had Dominique Foxworth talking about how he guesses the team will want him as a starter to help the younger guys. Do you see which one doesn't fit? By the way, in the words of Michael Wilbon, "How'd that work out?!".
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    "Justin is just a completely different guy. He’s a young kid out of college,” Cundiff said. “The maturity level is completely different than somebody like myself who’s been around. Going on my ninth season, I’ve kind of seen a lot, done a lot, that whole deal. So they have a little more experience with me here.”

Somehow I'm thinking Tucker has seen alot and done alot kicking for the Texas Longhorns while Cundiff kicked at that football hotbed called "Drake University"
    Wow. Startling contrast. Well played.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post

:word

I just plain do not like Cundiff, and I'm not afraid to admit it. He just rubs me the wrong way. Every time I see him come onto the field, he does not convey confidence at least to me.

Cundiff's recent comments make him sound like a guy who is afraid of losing his job...rightfully so...and is grabbing at straws with his comments to plead his case...

Blog Entries

Kind of funny i was watching hard knocks 2008 cowboys and in a game against houston in the last seconds our own number 3 wr jacoby jones was thrown the game winning pass... He dropped it. Some things never change i guess. While i do find it funny/ironic i am hopeful that once he gets the offense down hell improve at least slightly in that area. For emphasizing wrs that can catch in the offseason ozzie did make a peculiar move bring him in.
    -JAB

Was just watching the same thing on Hard Knocks when Jones dropped the pass...seems to be a repeating pattern (that needs to be broken for us)...Evans last year (ouch...it still hurts like hell to think about it)...the year before with Housh on 4th down (ouch again)...sooner or later this streak will be broken...here is hoping to this year with the streak broken in the AFC Championship game...or better yet the Super Bowl...it is time to exorcise the demons of signing veterans and having them drop passes in crucial moments :)

Blog Entries

WTF KINDA COMMENT WAS THAT FROM BILLY??? For muthaf@#kn real? So you think imma let some young punk walk in and talk my job after being there for a couple years? Especially after having a shot at redemption? I would be kicking my ass off, i would be doing so many leg press i would look like MJG on steriods, I weould go watch that replay at the end of the NE game everyday and get so pissed off the next time I kick a f#@kn ball not only is it going to make it down the middle like money but you will never see that got damn ball again. I would mean mug Tucker every chance i get and show these caoches who's the f@#ckn boss kickin the ball. Cundiff pretty much rolled over like a bitch with saying that shit.