Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, considering OUR offense, RB is pretty important. If it wasn't, why run out and pay Rice all that money? If Rice goes down, we are in a ton of trouble.

Eisenberg said yesterday that basically, the guys expected to compete for that #2 spot have been a disappointment.

It's time to look at other options if AA and Berry don't step up and Flipper (Pierce), continues to live in the tub.

Yeah I agree to a point, but I was more on the backup and that the offense I feel will change a bit this year especially as Joe ascends to being a great QB. I would not be surprised it Rice's carries drop a bit and is given more balls in space, but I get your points.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    IDK about that plug and play bit: Matt lawrence, Cedric Peerman, and maybe AA and Pierce. It takes more than a warm body in the Ravens offense.
    Yeah I definately wasn't saying getting those guys, but my mention to the depth on some of these teams where they have a lot of starter types in waiting, would be attractive.

I wouldn't like seeing Benson in here for some reason. How about Thomas Jones? The player behind Rice would not need to do much except for probably short yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Yeah I agree to a point, but I was more on the backup and that the offense I feel will change a bit this year especially as Joe ascends to being a great QB. I would not be surprised it Rice's carries drop a bit and is given more balls in space, but I get your points.
    I think Joe and the passing game will get better too, but I'm not just assuming that.

Joe has to do it first before I start reducing the amount of importance in our running game.

Pierce WILL be a beast.

Blog Entries

The only veteran who really interests me is Ryan Grant. He looked solid with a good number of reps for the Packers last year. Thomas Jones was terrible behind a good run blocking line that actually helped the 4th string Jackie Battle put some some good numbers. Benson can't run outside and stutter steps through holes. He looks just like Jamal did at the end. Addai has the reputation for being the best pass blocking back around and we have his former coach but something must be off for the Pats to dump him that quickly. Grant is the only old back worth looking at.

More likely we're going to end up with a 3rd player than no one ever heard of. Someone who gets cut from another roster. Someone like Kahlil Bell of the Bears or Antoine Smith of the Falcons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Pierce WILL be a beast.
    Uh, when will that be? As of now, I'm with the "let's get a veteran RB" group. Ricky Williams did a good job last season, and I'm surprised he retired. This team is a Super Bowl contender, and as such needs reassurance @ back-up RB.
    Yeah, Pierce can be the #3, but as of now his chances of being the #2 are getting dimmer and dimmer... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The only veteran who really interests me is Ryan Grant. He looked solid with a good number of reps for the Packers last year. Thomas Jones was terrible behind a good run blocking line that actually helped the 4th string Jackie Battle put some some good numbers. Benson can't run outside and stutter steps through holes. He looks just like Jamal did at the end. Addai has the reputation for being the best pass blocking back around and we have his former coach but something must be off for the Pats to dump him that quickly. Grant is the only old back worth looking at.

More likely we're going to end up with a 3rd player than no one ever heard of. Someone who gets cut from another roster. Someone like Kahlil Bell of the Bears or Antoine Smith of the Falcons.
    Ryan Grant is someone I'd be interested in as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Joseph Addai just isn't explosive anymore Gota, sure he's a good pass blocking RB, but Ryan Grant is also pretty good at that being a seasoned vet (plus the fact that Addai quit on his conditioning test, which was why he was cut). I'm going to stay on the Ryan Grant bandwagon, he still looked good last year, and in a back up role, he'd be a perfect power zone runner, he's hits open holes extremely fast and is actually not bad at getting the hard yards. He's a pretty big back too at 6'1 and 222 lbs.

Cedric Benson just isn't in shape anymore, although I wouldn't mind signing him either. Thomas Jones is just too old, and I don't rate players very highly who quit on conditioning tests, for all McKinnie's issues, he actually worked through his test and passed it.

I think I'd rather use Bobby Rainey than any other player listed in this thread.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    I think I'd rather use Bobby Rainey than any other player listed in this thread.
    I can see where you're coming from, but it may be common sense that a veteran RB (with limited touches like Ricky Williams in 2011) can be more effective than a young RB who wants to show-off his stuff... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, but it may be common sense that a veteran RB (with limited touches like Ricky Williams in 2011) can be more effective than a young RB who wants to show-off his stuff... Bc
    That would be ideal if the right guy was out there, but I don't think he is. None of Benson, Grant, and Addai are very good. Maybe if someone gets cut, we could pick them up
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    That would be ideal if the right guy was out there, but I don't think he is. None of Benson, Grant, and Addai are very good. Maybe if someone gets cut, we could pick them up
    Why do you think Ryan Grant isn't good? He was pretty productive in a pass heavy offense, and are you ready to just say that an undrafted rookie who we've never seen in the NFL, would be better than any of those guys, that's just wishful thinking at this point.