Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Whatever RB is cut, his name will not be Kevin Smith: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-backfield/
    The Lions just can't get a break at the RB position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I think I agree with woodlawn. The Ravens are one injury away from a star running back to deja vu. It's better to do things early than to wait. Why wait? There's really no plus to it.
    I'm with you and Woodlawn. I trust Oz he always makes a later smart pick up. McKinnie last year, Josh Wilson year before. Oz will handle it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I was in the "let's wait" camp but i think im turning. Pierce has missed a big chunk of time, AA by all accounts hasnt really impressed. Berry looks better but i've heard job security as an issue with him. Rainey is small but productive and i really look forward to seeing him in preseason buti would be dangerous to go into a season with championship aspirations and have a undrafted free agent as your backup tailback

IDK, the year we lost Jamal and played with Terry Allen and Jason Brookins as replacements, the RB position was way more important and the game was different back then.

Nowadays, teams can plug and play a RB and teams like the 49ers and Saints are going like four deep with starter talent.

I'm less worried about backup RB still because its still early and RB maybe the easiest of the skill positions to fill in. Especially a backup one IMO.

Blog Entries

Last thing ozzie wants is a repeat of 2001. I have heard him in interviews (after that season) say that he would never go into a season without a vet RB behind the starter. As we get closer to week 1, if the coaches dont feel comfortable with pierce/allen/berry, there is little doubt that oz will make a move, whether it be benson, grant, or whoever. Its very disappointing that pierce hasnt been able to stay on the practice field, i think everybody has high hopes for that kid.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 08-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    He hits the hole hard and is quick.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Me, too. I'm having bad memories of Chris Barnes (4th round pick) washing out and not even making the team, then being forced to rely on Terry Allen and Jason Brookins to carry the load.

While none of the FAs are worth much and aren't likely to be picked up soon, I'd rather they take their pick of the guy they'd prefer, instead of waiting and getting stuck with what's left (although, the FA RBs may, themselves, be waiting to see where the best opportunity is).

It may not be to that point just yet, but I think it's quickly approaching that point.
    +1
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Me, too. I'm having bad memories of Chris Barnes (4th round pick) washing out and not even making the team, then being forced to rely on Terry Allen and Jason Brookins to carry the load.

While none of the FAs are worth much and aren't likely to be picked up soon, I'd rather they take their pick of the guy they'd prefer, instead of waiting and getting stuck with what's left (although, the FA RBs may, themselves, be waiting to see where the best opportunity is).

It may not be to that point just yet, but I think it's quickly approaching that point.
    Yes, I agree with you too.
    I am thinking the staff is waiting to see what happens thursday night before making any moves.
    If the runningbacks perform, then maybe they stay pat.
    Have to give it a few days.

As pointed out in another thread.
    THere could be a RB cut from NO too...

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    IDK, the year we lost Jamal and played with Terry Allen and Jason Brookins as replacements, the RB position was way more important and the game was different back then.

Nowadays, teams can plug and play a RB and teams like the 49ers and Saints are going like four deep with starter talent.

I'm less worried about backup RB still because its still early and RB maybe the easiest of the skill positions to fill in. Especially a backup one IMO.
    IDK about that plug and play bit: Matt lawrence, Cedric Peerman, and maybe AA and Pierce. It takes more than a warm body in the Ravens offense.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    IDK about that plug and play bit: Matt lawrence, Cedric Peerman, and maybe AA and Pierce. It takes more than a warm body in the Ravens offense.
    Yeah, considering OUR offense, RB is pretty important. If it wasn't, why run out and pay Rice all that money? If Rice goes down, we are in a ton of trouble.

Eisenberg said yesterday that basically, the guys expected to compete for that #2 spot have been a disappointment.

It's time to look at other options if AA and Berry don't step up and Flipper (Pierce), continues to live in the tub.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be against bringing in Cedric Benson. He put up 1k yards last year. Granted with only 3.9 yard average per carry. He would be a nice change of pace from Rice. Just hit the hole hard for at least 3-4 yards.