Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Pierce is not practicing AGAIN today...he has missed a huge portion of the OTA's and now has basically missed over half of training camp.

I had high hopes for him, and I still do, but there is no way he will be ready to play early int he season IMHO if he doesn't get his ass back on the field.

And the frustrating part is that it's hamstrings...the same damn hamstrings that he has suffered with all through college. I really wanted Lamar Miller

Ryan Grant (I know LIB has been campaigning for him), Benson, somebody. It's getting close to the point where the team has to look elsewhere for the backup because Pierce has been a china doll since drafting him, and AA really isn't doing anything to distinguish himself either.

Blog Entries

Re: I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Looking at the situation, Ray Rice should be fine. Damien Berry and Bobby Rainey, both, more closely resemble Ray Rice's style of running. I am more concerned about whether or not Anthony Allen is ready to take over for Ricky Williams. In that case, I want Thomas Jones. Jones is clearly on the downside of his career, but so was Williams. There is not a more respected and hard working RB left out there.

Benson has disappointed me in Cincinnati. Grant is an option, but if I am looking for a tough back in this division I want Jones.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 08-07-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I dont think its time to worry yet. With berry impressing and winning the 2nd rb role that allows pierce to fill in and learn as the 3rd like aa last year who we barely used. If he proves not to be as good during the PS games we can always add a player than. They dont appear to be in high demand.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

agreed with JAB; it's early and they haven't even played the first preseason game. When the cuts start, there will be availble RBs and if the team feels like they need a vet, they'll go get one. Not much cap space, though

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

No other teams are in a rush to pick up these older runningbacks. I have a feeling they'll still be around after the 2nd preseason game. We can get one then if no one steps up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No other teams are in a rush to pick up these older runningbacks. I have a feeling they'll still be around after the 2nd preseason game. We can get one then if no one steps up.
    To add to that, one million will likely be the most it will take to sign one of them as well.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Whatever RB is cut, his name will not be Kevin Smith: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-backfield/

Blog Entries

I think I agree with woodlawn. The Ravens are one injury away from a star running back to deja vu. It's better to do things early than to wait. Why wait? There's really no plus to it.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Cedric Benson?

Blog Entries

I agree man, I have high hopes of Pierce, and thus far he has really disappointed with his injury issues. I think Ryan Grant would be a perfect fit for us, he still looked explosive last season when he was healthy, and would be a much better option than Benson.

I am pretty comfortable with Anthony Allen backing up Ray Rice. I was impressed with his running style and ability last year and I think he is a great change of pace from Rice. He hits the hole hard and is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I think I agree with woodlawn. The Ravens are one injury away from a star running back to deja vu. It's better to do things early than to wait. Why wait? There's really no plus to it.
    Me, too. I'm having bad memories of Chris Barnes (4th round pick) washing out and not even making the team, then being forced to rely on Terry Allen and Jason Brookins to carry the load.

While none of the FAs are worth much and aren't likely to be picked up soon, I'd rather they take their pick of the guy they'd prefer, instead of waiting and getting stuck with what's left (although, the FA RBs may, themselves, be waiting to see where the best opportunity is).

It may not be to that point just yet, but I think it's quickly approaching that point.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap