Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    That would be ideal if the right guy was out there, but I don't think he is. None of Benson, Grant, and Addai are very good. Maybe if someone gets cut, we could pick them up
    Could not have said it better. Williams had as much talent as those other guys combined.

They are all done, and the reason why they are sitting at home right now.

Look at the trends for each the past few years, it is clear as day.

2. Re: I'm now firmly in the "we need to look at picking up a backup RB" camp

Rainey seems very similar to Ray, I can't wait to see him. He really intrigues me. I'm shocked with Pierce. It's unfortunate because it's not like he was a late round pick. Ozzie traded up in the 3rd to go grab him. Hopefully he can bounce back but once a player starts having lingering injury issues, it's concerning. I don't know if any of those vets are worth picking up. Benson has produced and also knows the division well. I don't know if he has much left, but he's interesting. If someone like Ivory gets cut, you have to jump on that. Who knows, maybe Oz sends a 6th or 7th round pick to a team for a RB? Someone with some power to be a change of pace guy to Rice.

Normally I would be the one saying "it's just a fcking hamstring injury FFS calm down", but I just read a little more on Pierce and he missed games in college due to injury every. single. year. This isn't a new thing, and durability was the number one knock on him coming out.

That shouldn't make anyone who follows the draft closely too happy, because when you add in the fact he played at Temple against weak competition that doesn't scream 3rd round pick to me. That screams 4th or 5th rounder no matter what type of skill set he had. You can't take big risks in the first 3 rounds, save that for the throwaway picks later.

One too many "caution" signs for a 3rd rounder IMO. They are pretty much 50/50 shots to make it either way, but with the small school and injury history the odds aren't in his favor.

My expectation levels for him just dropped way down. Ughh.

If he can't get healthy, we will probably wait until last cuts and pick up a vet that gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I think I agree with woodlawn. The Ravens are one injury away from a star running back to deja vu. It's better to do things early than to wait. Why wait? There's really no plus to it.
    Your not picking up anyone at this point who still does not leave you in "deja vu" land if Rice were injured. I think you keep working with what you have and if your not satisfied with the situation at #2 when cuts start happening, then you make a move. RB is just not a position I think you panic about this early unless your #1 goes down
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Ozzie did go into last season with a rookie QB as the Ravens only backup for that spot. Maybe he's more comfortable with the unknown than we think he is.

Blog Entries

I think Damien Berry could well be our back up if he impresses in the pre season games. With his new added size, he is 5'11 and 220 lbs, and is a speed/power type runner. We all thought Allen and Pierce was going to battle it out, seems like the dark horse is really emerging now.

Blog Entries

Lets wait and see what Double A looks like in pads. He's a north/south guy. Always has been. We don't need him to do what Rice does. We just need him to power through guys and pick up short yardage or short and goal.

Pierce is the one who will be the starter if Rice were to go down anyway.

Pierce will be fine. Hammy's happen all the time and they aren't used to this level of working out and practicing. He prob was dehydrated and tweaked it that way. They're just being cautious.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Lets wait and see what Double A looks like in pads. He's a north/south guy. Always has been. We don't need him to do what Rice does. We just need him to power through guys and pick up short yardage or short and goal.

Pierce is the one who will be the starter if Rice were to go down anyway.

Pierce will be fine. Hammy's happen all the time and they aren't used to this level of working out and practicing. He prob was dehydrated and tweaked it that way. They're just being cautious.
    There is no way Pierce would start until he proves he can learn his assignments in the passing game. Cam is so focused on protection that he's not going to expose Flacco to a back who can't at least chip a blitzing LB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Damien Berry could well be our back up if he impresses in the pre season games. With his new added size, he is 5'11 and 220 lbs, and is a speed/power type runner. We all thought Allen and Pierce was going to battle it out, seems like the dark horse is really emerging now.
    hes been talked about as really impressing, and iirc it was pretty neck and neck between he and AA to make the team last year. I dont think people should overlook him just because he was on PS and AA wasnt, alot thought he had more potential and maybe hes tapping into that. definitely keeping an eye out for both tonight. Rainey is definitely in the mix as well as he seems to be impressing too, but only if we carry 4, which seems unlikely, or pierce is IRd, which i think is doubtful. its good to have a backup like your starter but you need diversity too and i think out of them hes the guy that may be able to be stashed assuming AA continues to disappoint and not be worthy of keeping.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why do you think Ryan Grant isn't good? He was pretty productive in a pass heavy offense, and are you ready to just say that an undrafted rookie who we've never seen in the NFL, would be better than any of those guys, that's just wishful thinking at this point.
    He wasn't even starting for GB after a few games. He lost out to James Starks, who isn't all that great either. For a team that has had a revolving door at RB since Ahman Green, you'd think if he was any good he'd be on the roster.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    He wasn't even starting for GB after a few games. He lost out to James Starks, who isn't all that great either. For a team that has had a revolving door at RB since Ahman Green, you'd think if he was any good he'd be on the roster.
    He was cut for cap reasons. Grant had a big number and as you wrote was beaten out by Starks. You're not going to find a starter this time of year unless you are extremely lucky. Grant is the best available guy on the market.

I like Rainey...he reminds me of a rich mans Cody Ross. He has a good shot at making this team as the 3rd RB. Not only does he look like an ok runner, but he's probably our second return guy.

AA disappoints me the more I see him, bad hands, doesn't break tackles and that play where he looked scared REALLY bothers me.