Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.



    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I will never get this point. Obama, Paul, Santorum Biden can't relate to me either, why is this even relevant?

    Of all the people I relate to I would say it is Romney, good family man, tried hard and became successful, for the most part that's what I want out of life. I damn sure don't want to be a community organizer with Marxist, communist, racist and domestic terrorist associations.
    Truthfully, you could make that argument about damn near any politician and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong. From a social/economic stance, how could they? And it doesn't really matter if that logic is wrong or right (I'm advocating neither), but that doesn't mean that argument and thought process doesn't exist. Currently, that's what Obama's campaign is trying to do with Romney right now.

    "Hey guys! Do you really think Mitt Romney knows what it's like to struggle financially or wonder what it's like to pay rent and shop for things on sale?! Of course not! He's a fat cat corporate guy who off-shore's his money so he doesn't have to pay taxes all the while collecting millions upon millions of dollars off of companies that he doesn't even do anything for anymore!"

    I mean...that's pretty much what the media is pushing these days. When you have millions of Americans who can't or aren't willing to really find information out for themselves, these types of campaign strategies are designed to put doubt into the citizens who are on the fence.

    "He's been rich his whole life! How can he relate to you!"

    That's one reason why Clinton was so popular. He legitimately was very poor growing up and his campaign really built on that foundation that he was just a simple good'ol boy who came from nothing.

    Running for anything more than state and local office is so damn expensive that you have to have some pretty deep pockets. That's why most Americans can't and/or don't run for office. It's impossible to compete with guys and gals who have that kind of monetary backing.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-07-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    If I recall correctly, it cost 10k to file the paperwork just to run for the U.S Senate.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If I recall correctly, it cost 10k to file the paperwork just to run for the U.S Senate.
    Yea, that's a lot...just to fill out some forms and submit them. Haha.

    A friend of mine is going to try and run for office in PA in a couple of years and she has already been working with a couple of advisers who told her that she needs to raise approximately $900,000 - $1,000,000 just to run for a junior senator position in PA.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Panama City Beach FL
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, that's a lot...just to fill out some forms and submit them. Haha.

    A friend of mine is going to try and run for office in PA in a couple of years and she has already been working with a couple of advisers who told her that she needs to raise approximately $900,000 - $1,000,000 just to run for a junior senator position in PA.
    That is outrageous. So much for the common man.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello





  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    That is outrageous. So much for the common man.
    Yea, tell me about it! This is where the problems come in because the only way she can get that money is by getting political backers and lobbyists...i.e. quid pro quo. They'll pony up money for her and she'll (informally) "owe them one" down the line...
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Except he isn't.

    He doesn't even crack the Forbes 400

    http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/lis...%20categories_

    Since when did having success become a bad thing in this country?

    Since OBY brought his socialists to town and started class warfare a typical communist ploy.


    All Romney has to do is show all his records to stop the rumors as
    silly as they are. OBY took years to show his birth certificate and
    he won't show his grades.

    Just show the money Mitt.




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474
    I want the folks with deep pockets running / winning elections, especially on the national level.

    Typically, these are the most successful, best educated among us.

    Again, I wonder when this cynicism developed over people of wealth and means. Yes, Clinton and Reagan were poor, but both worked their way up the social ladder. By the time they took the Presidency, they had deep pockets.

    Money is the lifeblood of politics. Always has been. I think expectations are a bit out of whack if some think this shouldn't be the case.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    I want the folks with deep pockets running / winning elections, especially on the national level.

    Typically, these are the most successful, best educated among us.

    Again, I wonder when this cynicism developed over people of wealth and means. Yes, Clinton and Reagan were poor, but both worked their way up the social ladder. By the time they took the Presidency, they had deep pockets.

    Money is the lifeblood of politics. Always has been. I think expectations are a bit out of whack if some think this shouldn't be the case.
    To me, at least, when politicians start accepting money from interest groups and lobbyists, eventually they are going to owe them something and they could come at the expense of the American people. It begs the question of who they're really "serving".
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474
    Lobbying has been here since the creation of country and, when done properly and ethically, is a very important part of the process.

    I like and take comfort in the NRA lobbying folks to ensure my gun rights. I like that my prescription drugs remain cheap because lobbyists from my insurance company push law makers to make it so. I like that there is a voice for me in these matters outside my vote.

    Remember, lobbying is constitutionally protected free speech.

    Of course these are those who abuse it buy I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water because of it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Lobbying has been here since the creation of country and, when done properly and ethically, is a very important part of the process.

    I like and take comfort in the NRA lobbying folks to ensure my gun rights. I like that my prescription drugs remain cheap because lobbyists from my insurance company push law makers to make it so. I like that there is a voice for me in these matters outside my vote.

    Remember, lobbying is constitutionally protected free speech.

    Of course these are those who abuse it buy I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water because of it.
    Promoting yourself as one thing and then telling a lobbyist you'll vote their way on something if they fund you is basically false advertisement. How can you claim to represent the people who voted for you on the premise of certain ideologies and political philosophies if you're really going to be indebted to special interest groups?

    I'm not arguing that lobbying should be thrown out altogether, but when it comes to campaigning it's those who are abusing the system that ruin it for the rest.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474
    Show me an example of a politician saying one thing and then changing their mind because of a lobbyist.

    I ask that rhetorically. Because both sides have those groups already in their pocket. The left isn't going change their vote on gun control after a meeting with the NRA. The right isn't going to soften their stance on global warming after meeting with the Sierra Club.

    The voters still hold them accountable, not the lobbyists.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Show me an example of a politician saying one thing and then changing their mind because of a lobbyist.

    I ask that rhetorically. Because both sides have those groups already in their pocket. The left isn't going change their vote on gun control after a meeting with the NRA. The right isn't going to soften their stance on global warming after meeting with the Sierra Club.

    The voters still hold them accountable, not the lobbyists.
    Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I don't think that any politician should be in anyone's pocket.

    If you take money from someone eventually you're going to owe them something and that could come at the cost of those who you're serving.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I don't think that any politician should be in anyone's pocket.

    If you take money from someone eventually you're going to owe them something and that could come at the cost of those who you're serving.
    So how do they raise money then?

    By individual donors and that's it? If so, are you then opposed to interest groups? Do they not have a seat at the table?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So how do they raise money then?

    By individual donors and that's it? If so, are you then opposed to interest groups? Do they not have a seat at the table?
    I think he hit the nail on the head. He's an idealist, to some degree so am I.

    I would love to take the money out of politics and just have a series of townhall style debates and that's it!

    But I am also a realist and understand that there is too much money in the business of poltics and it will never change.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Harry Reid claims Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So how do they raise money then?

    By individual donors and that's it? If so, are you then opposed to interest groups? Do they not have a seat at the table?
    I'm not necessarily opposed to interest groups getting a seat at the table.

    However, I don't see a place for an interest group giving a politician money with the unspoken agreement that at some point down the road that politician is going to essentially be forced into doing something for that interest group. Especially if that representative's constituency is against that interest group or what that specific interest is.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland