Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens to Garnish Half of Mckinnie's Net Wages

Does giving up half his money before he even sees it make McKinnie work harder or does this kill his desire to play?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ies-net-wages/

Ravens tackle Bryant McKinnie won’t be working only for himself this season. He’ll also be working for Pro Player Funding.

According to the Baltimore Business Journal, the Ravens will withhold half of McKinnie’s net compensation this year and send it to the lending agency to which McKinnie allegedly owed a whopping $4.5 million.

McKinnie borrowed the money during the lockout — and presumably spent it. When he missed a payment and the full amount came due, the company filed suit.

Per the report, the lawsuit was settled on July 17. The agreement provides that Pro Player Funding will receive half of the net on McKinnie’s $3.2 million salary, and half of any future earnings from the Ravens.

The lending company will undertake no other effort to enforce or collect the money.

It’s unclear whether, if McKinnie is cut and signs with the new team, the garnishment obligation will continue.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens to Garnish Half of Mckinnie's Net Wages

Well, he obviously can't be trusted to pay it back.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Once the courts are involved the employer has to do what they are told. What I wonder is if McKinnie walks away from the job then what happens?

Blog Entries

The Ravens wouldn't be liable at that point because they are no longer employing him.

The only thing the Ravens are responsible for is sending 50% of his pay check to the lender/lending company and if he gets cut or quits or whatever, then the Ravens are no longer responsible for that money because they aren't paying him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Once the courts are involved the employer has to do what they are told. What I wonder is if McKinnie walks away from the job then what happens?
    Typically, as per normal small claims court(which this is obviously not) the indebted(Pro Player Funding) would have to go back to court to garnish his new wages.

I personally don't see this turning out well for McKinnie's future with the Ravens, as I don't believe he's committed to the team. I would not be surprised at all to see him in another uniform come opening day.

This is pretty normal, and for that level of debt they will follow him everywhere he's going to go. Any good advisor will tell him to work hard, make more money and pay it off, which it kinda looks like what he's doing.

Does he have some bad habits and poor communication skills? Yup. But in the grand scheme of things I think he's here to play and make himself as valuable as possible.

He's going to pay off $5mil faster working in football than anywhere else, and I'm pretty sure he knows it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Ravens wouldn't be liable at that point because they are no longer employing him.

The only thing the Ravens are responsible for is sending 50% of his pay check to the lender/lending company and if he gets cut or quits or whatever, then the Ravens are no longer responsible for that money because they aren't paying him.
    I understand that. What I don't know how this is going to impact McKinnie's play. Is he looking at this as a job he has to do to get out of debt or does he just lose his will to play without seeing the money? It's really a psychological question the Ravens need to figure out.

Blog Entries

Well, it's going to either make him haul ass and impress enough teams to get a new deal next year (either with Baltimore or some other team...though I doubt Baltimore resigns him) OR he's going to sit and sulk, get cut and/or get benched/injured, and then declare bankruptcy.

I think GOTA's point is that McKinnie is known to have interests outside football. The guy is physically talented, but football is a 9 to 5 job for him. His moonlighting is his passion.

So with this whole episode, McKinnie could decide to quit the team and dare the lending company to get money from him. It would be a stupid move, of course, but he does have that option. The lending company would receive far less than it could receive otherwise, and for guys that believe they were being screwed by a lending company, that is a type of sweet revenge.

We had a thread or two about these "lockout loans" and their impact on players. Here is the result. He should be signed up for Ravens' Rookie Symposiums, because he could use some life re-training.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    I think GOTA's point is that McKinnie is known to have interests outside football. The guy is physically talented, but football is a 9 to 5 job for him. His moonlighting is his passion.

So with this whole episode, McKinnie could decide to quit the team and dare the lending company to get money from him. It would be a stupid move, of course, but he does have that option. The lending company would receive far less than it could receive otherwise, and for guys that believe they were being screwed by a lending company, that is a type of sweet revenge.

We had a thread or two about these "lockout loans" and their impact on players. Here is the result. He should be signed up for Ravens' Rookie Symposiums, because he could use some life re-training.
    Thanks for explaining it better than me.

Blog Entries

Well, that's why I was saying he could just quit and declare bankruptcy and still keep his "moonlighting" endeavors.