Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: Jaws' film room

  1. #46

    Re: Jaws' film room



    Joe's contract will be for at least 8 more years beyond this year for $120M+

    He could get over $60M in three years by just letting the Ravens franchise him for the next three years (2013, 14 and 15)



    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Completely agree...and would add for this year, changing out the OC in your franchise QBs contract year was another no-go reason; much more so (looking ahead now) then changing OCs the season after paying that same QB $80-95M.



    Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk 2




  2. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Joe's contract will be for at least 8 more years beyond this year for $120M+

    He could get over $60M in three years by just letting the Ravens franchise him for the next three years (2013, 14 and 15)
    Can't argue...so I think we have the extreme range covered, and if $120M is what the parties are talking about then that's more incentive to move on from Cammie, if our offense underperforms again.

    Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk 2
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Completely agree...and would add for this year, changing out the OC in your franchise QBs contract year was another no-go reason; much more so (looking ahead now) then changing OCs the season after paying that same QB $80-95M.



    Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk 2
    Harbs wants to run this type offense; it's not all on Cam. He wants ball control, physical football.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Harbs wants to run this type offense; it's not all on Cam. He wants ball control, physical football.
    You are right! Cam has input but Harbs has the final say. If he wanted things to be opened up they would be.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2




  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Are we talking about the same Harbs that said he wanted to get more involved in the offense before last season? Let's be real, Cam designs and calls the plays. Yeah Harbs might say this or that, but Cam controlls the offense. His history followed him, it didn't just start here all of a sudden.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    439
    What are the chances Caldwell is OC in waiting? QB coach this year, get up to speed, takeover OC next year?

    It would fit the steady pace of improvement the Ravens like to work at.




  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,673
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Harbs wants to run this type offense; it's not all on Cam. He wants ball control, physical football.
    Because he thinks it gives him the best chance to win consistently & make the playoffs with the minimum amount of risk.

    :dons statistician's hat: It's really a question of standard deviations. Harbs' thinking probably runs like this:

    • 10-6 is even money to reach the postseason, 11-5 is close to a lock;
    • This team is good enough to go 12-4, all other things being equal;
    • Ball-control, hardnose football might not win a lot of games we'd otherwise lose, but it won't lose a lot of games we'd otherwise win, & (AOTBE) a team good enough to average 12 wins will finish between 10-6 and 14-2;
    • Wild-eyed gunslinging, OTOH, is a lot more likely to put up a perfect season but also a lot more likely to crash & burn, & a team good enough to average 12 wins will end up somewhere between 8-8 and 16-0;
    • Therefore, ball-control smash-mouth will get a talented team into the playoffs nearly every year, while gunslinging will leave you out in the cold something like a third of the time.


    And sonofagun--4 years of smashmouth football under Harbaugh, 4 years of playoff appearances. Nothing exceeds like success, nyet?




  8. #53

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    not sure about that stat. Joe has 45 TDs total in two years; so you're telling me 31 of those were in the red zone?
    Took the words right out of my mouth, I'm quite sure that is in his whole career in its entirety. That stat seems too good to be true.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb





  9. #54

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth, I'm quite sure that is in his whole career in its entirety. That stat seems too good to be true.
    It is in the last 2 years, but it does include the playoffs. bmorecareful already posted the link to every TD (and their distance). 31 in red zone out of 52 total (45 reg. season, 7 playoffs) in the last two years.

    The link/stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...downs/passing/




  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Because he thinks it gives him the best chance to win consistently & make the playoffs with the minimum amount of risk.

    :dons statistician's hat: It's really a question of standard deviations. Harbs' thinking probably runs like this:

    • 10-6 is even money to reach the postseason, 11-5 is close to a lock;
    • This team is good enough to go 12-4, all other things being equal;
    • Ball-control, hardnose football might not win a lot of games we'd otherwise lose, but it won't lose a lot of games we'd otherwise win, & (AOTBE) a team good enough to average 12 wins will finish between 10-6 and 14-2;
    • Wild-eyed gunslinging, OTOH, is a lot more likely to put up a perfect season but also a lot more likely to crash & burn, & a team good enough to average 12 wins will end up somewhere between 8-8 and 16-0;
    • Therefore, ball-control smash-mouth will get a talented team into the playoffs nearly every year, while gunslinging will leave you out in the cold something like a third of the time.


    And sonofagun--4 years of smashmouth football under Harbaugh, 4 years of playoff appearances. Nothing exceeds like success, nyet?
    Good post.

    Tbh we have beaten a lot of "elite" teams playing this style of football. I have to think Harbaugh thinks we are one of the only teams left in the league who can go all the way and win the SB playing this way. The 49ers are another team who are pretty similar to us (albeit a different offensive system, and slight alterations in their defensive scheme), Johns brother who has the exact same philosophy, and they went 13-3.

    I think more times that not though, it is going to come down to the QB on winning drives, in clutch situations in the big games, and we have seen that Flacco can do that, but it is best to avoid those circumstances by keeping the game as close as it can be so that all that's needed is just a big drive from Flacco, being down by one score instead of three.

    Take the Jets for instance. After coming off three consecutive AFCCG appearances, they really started to get away from their true identity and started to air the ball out a lot more. That ended in an 8-8 season, missing the play offs, and Sanchez being called out as an NFL starting calibre QB. Now, Flacco is a lot better than Sanchez, and I'm not saying that would happen to him. However our receivers I don't think can be relied upon at this point, and I'm pretty sure it would cost us a chance at the SB, and another play off appearance to develop a pass first offense.

    Overall I just don't think we currently have the players to run a pass first offense, we're not built for it yet.




  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    463

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Just for accuracy, it was two consecutive AFCCG appearances. Rex had three consecutive as a coach, but the first one was with the Ravens.




  12. #57

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Is this anywhere online? I was out of town when this was aired.




  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    2,660

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdFan View Post
    Rebroadcast on ESPN2 @ 9pm monday night. followed at 9:30 by the Ravens 2011 yearbook. Set your DVR's.
    Oh thank goodness. I was hoping to catch this again.




  14. #59

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Good post.

    Tbh we have beaten a lot of "elite" teams playing this style of football. I have to think Harbaugh thinks we are one of the only teams left in the league who can go all the way and win the SB playing this way. The 49ers are another team who are pretty similar to us (albeit a different offensive system, and slight alterations in their defensive scheme), Johns brother who has the exact same philosophy, and they went 13-3.

    I think more times that not though, it is going to come down to the QB on winning drives, in clutch situations in the big games, and we have seen that Flacco can do that, but it is best to avoid those circumstances by keeping the game as close as it can be so that all that's needed is just a big drive from Flacco, being down by one score instead of three.

    Take the Jets for instance. After coming off three consecutive AFCCG appearances, they really started to get away from their true identity and started to air the ball out a lot more. That ended in an 8-8 season, missing the play offs, and Sanchez being called out as an NFL starting calibre QB. Now, Flacco is a lot better than Sanchez, and I'm not saying that would happen to him. However our receivers I don't think can be relied upon at this point, and I'm pretty sure it would cost us a chance at the SB, and another play off appearance to develop a pass first offense.

    Overall I just don't think we currently have the players to run a pass first offense, we're not built for it yet.
    First of all, your comparison is off. The Jets threw the ball 525 times in 2010 and were inches away from the SB. They also ranked 13th in points scored that year, and Sanchez had a 75 QBR. In 2011, they threw the ball 547 times, ranked 13th in points scored, and Sanchez posted a 78 QBR. Those statistics are virtually identical, and accordingly their 3 game decline in games won between the two years couldn't have been due to their passing offense.

    This argument is tired and old. If you think that the Ravens' 4 straight playoff appearances somehow magically justifies their offensive approach, and that no improvement in the passing game is actually needed to excel (or, for that matter, that "improvement in the passing game" is the same as "throwing the ball 50 times a game") there's no convincing you.

    This team won't win a SB in 2012 without being more efficient, effective, and consistent passing the football.




  15. #60

    Re: Jaws' film room

    Just watched this on DVR. Seeing the Lee Evans drop again was still painful. IT WAS RIGHT IN HIS HANDS!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland