Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

Ijalana the G/T from Villanova was heavily linked to the Ravens as their round 2 pick a year ago. The Colts ended up taking him instead and ever since he's been hurt. Ijalana just suffered his second season ending injury. The Colts are trying to stash him on IR but because they wanted to sign an Arena League player now they had to cut him to waive him. A lot of people liked this guy as a prospect. Would you claim him knowing that he would be on IR this year and that he now has a bad injury history? The contract by the way is small at just $560,000 this season. What should the Ravens do?

Blog Entries

Re: Any Interest in Ben Ijalana?

I would.

It solves a potential problem next year if they do in fact move Oher back over to LT. Ijalana can play RT or LG, which would put KO out on the right side.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

They should really think hard about this one. He was considered to be a very good prospect. He was super athletic in college and would really fit in to a zone scheme. If you are go to replace McKinnie, Birk and Williams next year it wouldn't hurt to have as many good options as possible. The risk is that he'll never overcome his injuries and you blow $560,000. That's not much of a risk.

Yes.

I would definitely take a flyer on him.

Blog Entries

My interest lies in the fact that every other letter in his name is a vowel :
    bEn IjAlAnA. Now that is a unique talent indeed... Bc

Was a big fan of his coming out of the draft, i'd take a flier on him as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They should really think hard about this one. He was considered to be a very good prospect. He was super athletic in college and would really fit in to a zone scheme. If you are go to replace McKinnie, Birk and Williams next year it wouldn't hurt to have as many good options as possible. The risk is that he'll never overcome his injuries and you blow $560,000. That's not much of a risk.
    Agreed.

It is a cheap investment for someone that has the upside and potential (and youth) to turn into a very good offensive lineman. If Jah isn't taking that next step forward and they still think they may have some issues next year at RT, LT, and LG then absolutely. Sign him, let him heal and rehab and then let him go into the off-season working with the offense and strength/conditioning coaches here.

Like I said, it's not an uncommon thought that Oher could very well be back over at LT next year and even if he isn't and they want to move KO over there or something, Ijalana provides excellent depth with starting ability.

Blog Entries

so if i understand this right, we sign him injured and he gets IRd on our team for next year? Seems like a low risk high reward move which would be right up our alley, im just not sure of the logistics of it.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so if i understand this right, we sign him injured and he gets IRd on our team for next year? Seems like a low risk high reward move which would be right up our alley, im just not sure of the logistics of it.
    Pretty much it.

He's injured and would be IR'ed for sure, but the Ravens sign him and pick up the $560K tab this year to ensure he's in a Ravens uniform next year. The guy is only 22 years old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Pretty much it.

He's injured and would be IR'ed for sure, but the Ravens sign him and pick up the $560K tab this year to ensure he's in a Ravens uniform next year. The guy is only 22 years old.
    so he has to clear waivers or we put in a waiver to do so though correct. its not an injury settlement its an outright release?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so he has to clear waivers or we put in a waiver to do so though correct. its not an injury settlement its an outright release?
    I don't think he's going through the waiver process because they cut him to sign someone else.

I could be wrong on that though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think he's going through the waiver process because they cut him to sign someone else.

I could be wrong on that though.
    either way i guess it would be worth it. Its insured and if he comes back healthy next year its too much potential. Id assume his contract isnt ridiculous but maybe if he has to clear waivers he does and signs an even friendlier deal. not sure of the market for a guy youre not going to play this year.
    -JAB