Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ed Reed: "Ravens know i want to be here!"

Ed Reed expresses his desire to remain with the team who drafted him, for the long term.

"I know [General Manager] Ozzie [Newsome] and them know I want to be here,” Reed said after Wednesday’s training camp practice. "We will get that done when it’s time to cross that bridge.”

"I have a lot of respect for this organization,” Reed said. "Obviously, they gave me a chance back in 2003 to come here and play. And I know they have respect for me.”

"Being that I don’t have an agent, I don’t know how they’re going to go about it,” Reed said. "I know we tried to deal with things last season, that’s why things have been talked about the way they have been because I had to deal with it myself. That’s the way I choose going about it in this business. I didn’t want a middleman in between it.”

"I’m dealing with football right now and they know that,” Reed said. "I’m focused on the season and that’s all I’m worried about right now, is getting my teammates better, getting myself better and getting ready to go forward with the season."
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/...o_Be_Here.aspx

Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed: "Ravens know i want to be here!"

And I hope they do extend him, I really do. Just not at a stupid price like 10 million a year which is what I kind of get the feeling he is asking, especially when they offered him 8 million a year as an extension back in 2011, and he declined it.

I think they will find a way some how to get it done, not many of us expected Rice to be extended, but it got done. If they can get Flacco and Reed done, that's a pretty damn good job by our FO. We will have no serious contract issues after this season, which would be awesome.

They should just structure the contract so that he makes $1 million per interception.

Blog Entries

Could these comments shed light on the recent report that the Ravens offered Reed an extension last off-season?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Eds deal only averaged 5.7/year good for 8th best currently, but it was back loaded somewhat and hes currently the highest paid safety this year at 7.2. if he wants a raise from the average, i cant really blame him, if he wants a raise from this year, hes delusional. I do hope he retires a raven and eventhough he has some areas in his game that arent as good as they used to be, hes still the best coverage safety in the league and teams still gameplan around him (see tom brady AFCCG) and thats really unmeasurable. hopefully a fair deal gets done, but working directly with ed may make it harder.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I really do. Just not at a stupid price like 10 million a year which is what I kind of get the feeling he is asking, especially when they offered him 8 million a year as an extension back in 2011, and he declined it.

#20 declined it, now that's the first time i've ever heard that! # 20 didn't have an agent last year, he needs to get one, IF he wants a new contract with any team. I don't think #20 will give a home discount either, let him try FA, just like #52...

"Being that I don’t have an agent, I don’t know how they’re going to go about it.”
    There is a reason that the vast majority of the players haver representation. It is also the same reason that Newsome and Moriarty do the negotiating and Harbaugh does not.

Blog Entries

Ed Reed has repeatedly stated that he re-evaluates whether his body and mind are committed to continue playing football at the end of each season for the past three years. To me, the best course of action for Ed and the Ravens is for them to work out a series of one year contracts at about $6 million per season as long as Ed wishes to continue playing football and is able to play at his current level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    They should just structure the contract so that he makes $1 million per interception.
    I'm down for that, as long as he loses a million per missed tackle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Could these comments shed light on the recent report that the Ravens offered Reed an extension last off-season?
    Both sources were Reed himself so I'm still not buying it. I believe the Ravens probably asked him about an extension but I doubt they made him a money offer that he turned down and it never leaked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Both sources were Reed himself so I'm still not buying it. I believe the Ravens probably asked him about an extension but I doubt they made him a money offer that he turned down and it never leaked.
    The Ravens NEVER discuss contract negotiations in the press. Unless both sides come to terms, you will never hear anything about it from their side.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is 0.0 chance they offered him $8 million and he turned it down. None. You don't get pay increases at 34 years old in the NFL, you get massive pay DEcreases.....if you are even still around at that point.

The quote was "under" 8 million was offered, could have been 4 for all we know, and yes that number came from Reed's camp so it is almost guaranteed to be bullshit.

Reed is a $5 million player max at this point and probably to one team and one team only, the Ravens. He will figure that out in about 8 months.