Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Ot - congrats michael!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Why did he get banned from Max's?
    Not sure as to the why, but am certain he's banned (as of a few months ago anyway).

Not too hard to guess why someone gets banned from a bar (or 4).

FYI...Michael just beat his rival in the 200IM for his 16th Gold medal - WELL DONE!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    But with swimming, they're basically doing the same thing with variations. Freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, Medley, 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, and relays for all of them. Maybe for a sport like basketball they should have 10 minute games, 20 minute games, 40 minute games, games like one hand tied behind the back, games where you have to run backwards, etc.
    I love track (and ran it in high school) but I think you are showing a lack of understanding about the huge difference of strokes in swimming. Those guys are no more doing basically the same thing with variations than a hurdler, a miler and a sprinter are doing the same thing with variations. Swimmers who excel in one stroke at an elite level rarely excel in multiple ones, and the same is true with the varying distances.

What Phelps has done would be comparable to a track athlete winning medals in the 100M, 800M, 400M Hurdles, and 3K Steeplechase in the same Olympics, then medalling in both the 4x400 and 4x100 relays as well, and doing it for three consecutive Olympic Games. That shouldn't be too hard - it's just basically running with a little variation. Or, medalling in the high jump, pole vault, long jump and triple jump. It's just jumping with a little variation. But nobody does that. It's just not normal to excel at the world class level in all those different events. But Phelps has done it.

What I love about swimming - and the same is true with track - is that it is completely objective and measurable. Start, finish, timed. There is no subjectivity as there is in gymnastics or diving, for example. You race, you win. No questions. And Phelps has done it better than anyone in the history of the Gmes.

Im sure being famous may play a part in it. While he may be a dick or whatever, id say a lot of people would be out looking a bit of action if they seen someone like phelps in a bar. Whereas id be more dumbfounded and respectful, others would be saying im going to put him back in his box so to speak.

You never really know how situations escalate unless your really there
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure as to the why, but am certain he's banned (as of a few months ago anyway).

Not too hard to guess why someone gets banned from a bar (or 4).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Im sure being famous may play a part in it. While he may be a dick or whatever, id say a lot of people would be out looking a bit of action if they seen someone like phelps in a bar. Whereas id be more dumbfounded and respectful, others would be saying im going to put him back in his box so to speak.

You never really know how situations escalate unless your really there
    True. However, one of my best friends is a bar owner in Fells Point and many other friends work and live in Fells. I lived there for 8 years prior to moving to Texas.

Ive heard enough horror stories from them all to know this is a creation of Phelps and Phelps only.

I saw him at a pizza place in Fells Point this December. He was with some babe in spandex. I didn't say anything to him.

He may be an asshole, but he's the greatest Olympian of all time and an asshole from Baltimore.

Good stuff JMU

I guess all that 'half-assed' training paid off with gold in the 200 IM. His time was barely behind his gold medal time in '08 and just missed the WR.

Blog Entries

Just won Gold in the 100m fly.

Came from 7th at the turn to win, so much for his heart not being in it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Just won Gold in the 100m fly.

Came from 7th at the turn to win, so much for his heart not being in it...
    He may have half-assed his training, but when the lights come on, so to speak, you see what he's made of. Greatest Olympic champion of all time. He may be a jerk, but I don't care. The results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    True. However, one of my best friends is a bar owner in Fells Point and many other friends work and live in Fells. I lived there for 8 years prior to moving to Texas.

Ive heard enough horror stories from them all to know this is a creation of Phelps and Phelps only.
    So if I go to the owner and tell him I'm friends with HoustonRaven from 24x7 I can get some free drinks? :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2