Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OT - Congrats Michael!!

The Greatest Olympian EVER!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Ot - congrats michael!!

Yes Sir! Truly amazing... USA USA USA!!!!
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    The Greatest Olympian EVER!
    greatest swimmer ever.

Greatest olympian, at least from the US would be someone like Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, or Carl Lewis, who competed in more demanding events.

What was the chicks name who he passed for "greatest olympian ever"? I never even heard of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    greatest swimmer ever.

Greatest olympian, at least from the US would be someone like Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, or Carl Lewis, who competed in more demanding events.

What was the chicks name who he passed for "greatest olympian ever"? I never even heard of her.
    It was a Soviet gymnast named Larisa Latynina. Not sure when she won her medals though.

Congratulations Michael!!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    greatest swimmer ever.

You think running is more demanding than swimming?

Swimming is definitely grueling, but I think the argument can be made that Carl Lewis excelled in a wider variety of events. Yes, Phelps has medaled in events with a variety of strokes and distances, but it's all still swimming for speed. Lewis on the other hand medaled in running (sprinting only) and the long jump.

Plus Lewis was dominant over a longer period in his best event. He won the gold in long jump in 4 consecutive Olympics.

Either way it's splitting hairs. They're both outstanding Olympians. Phelps accomplishments are amazing, and I don't know if we'll see them surpassed in my lifetime.

I'm not as knowledgeable on Owens or Thorpe so I can't really speak to them.

Am I the only one a bit disappointed about Phelps this year?
    Admitting he didn't train as hard...Teammates being critical of his training.

Maybe I am just hating on the guy because he comes off as a dick but he makes it hard to be excited for him this time around.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: OT - Congrats Michael!!

It would have been nice to see him be truly dominant again, but he's basically said that he's gotten tired of swimming. I'm not going to hold that against him. IMO he's already accomplished such incredible things that his legacy is untouchable.

Actually I was a bit peeved at the way NBC seemed to center so much of their early Olympic coverage on how Lochte was going to "dethrone" Phelps. Then after Phelps finished 4th in his 1st final they seemed to crank it up even more. I almost felt like they were hoping for the guy to fail so they could drag him through the mud.

Yes, he may come off as a bit of a prick, but he accomplished amazing things while representing our country. I still think that's something to be proud of. Shame on NBC for being so eager to tear down one of our Olympic heroes.

And Lochte may be a better swimmer at this point, but he will never come close to Phelps accomplishment. Phelps was never going to be dethroned no matter what happened at this Olympics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    It would have been nice to see him be truly dominant again, but he's basically said that he's gotten tired of swimming. I'm not going to hold that against him. IMO he's already accomplished such incredible things that his legacy is untouchable.

Actually I was a bit peeved at the way NBC seemed to center so much of their early Olympic coverage on how Lochte was going to "dethrone" Phelps. Then after Phelps finished 4th in his 1st final they seemed to crank it up even more. I almost felt like they were hoping for the guy to fail so they could drag him through the mud.

Yes, he may come off as a bit of a prick, but he accomplished amazing things while representing our country. I still think that's something to be proud of. Shame on NBC for being so eager to tear down one of our Olympic heroes.

And Lochte may be a better swimmer at this point, but he will never come close to Phelps accomplishment. Phelps was never going to be dethroned no matter what happened at this Olympics.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post

But why go if he is tired of it? It's not like he's getting a paycheck for being there. Like you said he already made his stamp so why not just walk away?
    If he was going to go he still should strive for the gold in every event. Losing sucks! I get 2nd gets the silver but how much sweeter is it to win and have even more Golds?
    I'm proud of Phelps but it bugs me a little that he don't have the "I want to dominate" attitude he once had.
    Ray Lewis has a Super Bowl ring and has yet to quit and trains harder and harder every year. I guess Phelps ain't built that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    But why go if he is tired of it? It's not like he's getting a paycheck for being there. Like you said he already made his stamp so why not just walk away?
    If he was going to go he still should strive for the gold in every event. Losing sucks! I get 2nd gets the silver but how much sweeter is it to win and have even more Golds?
    I'm proud of Phelps but it bugs me a little that he don't have the "I want to dominate" attitude he once had.
    Ray Lewis has a Super Bowl ring and has yet to quit and trains harder and harder every year. I guess Phelps ain't built that way.

He sure is getting a paycheck as a result of going.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    You think running is more demanding than swimming?
    You have to compete in 10 events to win a medal for the decathalon. They don't give out extra medals for swinging your arms in a different direction.

Track and field has long been the dominant sport of the olympics. It is the one where you see the best athletes compete.

No one cares about swimming unless their boat is getting ready to sink.