Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Soccer game at the bank yesterday

Did any of you baltimore locals go to the liverpool spurs game yesterday at the bank? if you did, how did you find it? Would it help pick up your interest in soccer? How was the atmosphere? full house? etc etc.

Just curious on your thoughts of the game yesterday, granted it was a pre season game
    Last edited by arnie_uk; 07-29-2012 at 09:54 AM.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: Soccer game at the bank yesterday

arnie-
    No longer residing on the mean streets of Ellicott City (a burb of Baltimore), I did have the opportunity to watch some of the game on TV down here in Hickory, NC. The announcers (I think both from your side of the Pond) seemed to me to be impressed by the attendance and atmosphere of the crowd. Not sure what the attendance was, but I was pleased to see what appeared to be a lot of filled seats, with team colors, at M&T (based on the camera angles they showed), although maybe not to the level of a big Ravens game (say, v. Pitt). I had to laugh hearing the one announcer who kept telling the audience that Baltimore was NOT the capitol of Maryland, it's Annapolis! ;) (SWMBO suggested that it was probably for the benefit of the non-USA viewers)

IMHO, I think it may help support the overall interest in soccer in this country, but soccer is quite ingrained in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, and its popularity really runs up AND down the east coast from there as well - Philly, NY, NE and north, while NOVA, Carolinas, Atlanta, and into Florida to the south. Friends always used to ask me why I didin't attend this or that game that came to Baltimore way back when (70's when Pele did a bunch of stuff), and I'd tell them I had a scheduling conflict with my own team's game! I think a lot of folks had and still have that type of issue, where a couple good "foreign" teams schedule an exhibition or whatever, but so many guys AND ladies are playing or officiating or coaching, and they don't want to miss their own game(s).

Hope you're enjoying the Olympics. I've been OD'ing on the soccer matches over the past few days, both ladies and mens, AND got to watch much of the AC Milan-Chelsea match in Miami.

Blog Entries

I missed the game, how did it go Arnie?

As a rugby player, I'm not all into the football(soccer) game, but still watch it as a casual fan.

I was there. The near 100 degree heat definitely effected the play as the players did not seem accustomed to the temperatures. The turf (real grass layered on the PAT that we use for football) was long and slow, which also changed the game a bit. I thought there was about 50 good minutes of soccer, about 15 minutes in when they figured out the turf, and then until they were all gassed. The crowd was about 42,000 (capacity 70k+), but was very into the action and it was a good atmosphere. Soccer is very big in this corridor, as Beau mentioned above, and there were many people at this game from the region, not just Baltimore.

They put down real grass on top of the turf?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They put down real grass on top of the turf?
    Yep, they did they same thing for Man City v. Inter and Chelsea v. AC Milan the past few years. The European teams will not play their "friendlies" on turf. So, they truck in sod-like turf and layer it on top of the PAT. There's an inch deep layer of rubber between the turf and the sod, so as you can imagine, the entire surface gets pretty soft. Its very different than the low fast grass surfaces they are use to. My son played in a halftime scrimmage during the Inter/Man City game, and he said it was like quicksand.

Quote Originally Posted by cealex1223 View Post
    Yep, they did they same thing for Man City v. Inter and Chelsea v. AC Milan the past few years. The European teams will not play their "friendlies" on turf. So, they truck in sod-like turf and layer it on top of the PAT. There's an inch deep layer of rubber between the turf and the sod, so as you can imagine, the entire surface gets pretty soft. Its very different than the low fast grass surfaces they are use to. My son played in a halftime scrimmage during the Inter/Man City game, and he said it was like quicksand.
    That surprises me. Thanks for the info.

I'd think the softer turf would lend itself to an increase risk of injuries.

I attended the match and enjoyed every minute of it. Liverpool fans considerably outnumbered us Spurs supporters, but I kind of expected it as Liverpool is a much more popular club in the US. Despite the scoreless draw I found the match very enjoyable.

I think the popularity of soccer in the US is growing at a very rapid pace, particularly in the last few years. EPL games are televised quite regularly with channels like FSC and FSC Plus and the last two seasons I have probably watch about 85% of Tottenhams games on TV. Just a few years ago I would have to stream Spurs matches that would cut out several times while watching. I could not be more happy with UA and the partnership they have formed with the North London club, it really makes Baltimore feel like Tottenhams home across the pond. Ryleighs Oyster in Baltimore has become quite the Spurs Supporters pub and was quite a spectacle before and after the match. Nothing better than seeing several hundred fellow Spurs fans singing and drinking together have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That surprises me. Thanks for the info.

I'd think the softer turf would lend itself to an increase risk of injuries.
    Ironically you are probably correct. Not sure why they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    I attended the match and enjoyed every minute of it. Liverpool fans considerably outnumbered us Spurs supporters, but I kind of expected it as Liverpool is a much more popular club in the US. Despite the scoreless draw I found the match very enjoyable.

I think the popularity of soccer in the US is growing at a very rapid pace, particularly in the last few years. EPL games are televised quite regularly with channels like FSC and FSC Plus and the last two seasons I have probably watch about 85% of Tottenhams games on TV. Just a few years ago I would have to stream Spurs matches that would cut out several times while watching. I could not be more happy with UA and the partnership they have formed with the North London club, it really makes Baltimore feel like Tottenhams home across the pond. Ryleighs Oyster in Baltimore has become quite the Spurs Supporters pub and was quite a spectacle before and after the match. Nothing better than seeing several hundred fellow Spurs fans singing and drinking together have a great time.
    Thats great, I'll have to check that out once the EPL season starts. I'm a Chelsea fan, but good soccer pubs are good soccer pubs. I live in suburbia, so I usually go to The Gunpowder Lodge (White Marsh area) to catch the games, great atmosphere there too.

Soccer is the most boring spectator sport on earth and don't even give me the "you don't understand it" line. (I used to play)

It is only the "world" sport because all you need are 4 tree stumps and a dead goat's head to kick around to play it.
    Baltimore Football Championships
    Ravens 2000, 2012
    Stallions 95 CFL
    Stars 85 USFL
    Colts 58, 59, 70

Quote Originally Posted by drdelaware View Post
    Soccer is the most boring spectator sport on earth and don't even give me the "you don't understand it" line. (I used to play)

It is only the "world" sport because all you need are 4 tree stumps and a dead goat's head to kick around to play it.
    You don't understand it.