Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I knew it!!!

iggyman555 Guest

Re: I knew it!!!

wonder how he runs the end around and reverse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Um, you remember what he did against us in the playoffs seven months ago, right?

- C -
    0 receptions, 6 punt returns for 4 yards and 1 fumble.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Yeah he awarded us the game lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    lol, you said some members would have to line up for some crow. I'm saying nobody is...and really people shouldn't be starting or co-signing in threads like this.

People make him out to be Travis Taylor or something with the drops.

He has drop rat percentage lower than guys like Desean Jackson, Steve Smith, Wes Welker and Miles Austin. Give the guy a chance and at least see what his role is going to be before threads like this.
    While I agree with your overall "wait and see" approach, this line is disingenuous. Comparing a guy who has 179 career receptions in 5 seasons to a guy who has averaged over 110 receptions per season (Welker) during that same time period. Jacoby Jones' top receiving performance was 2 season ago with 562 yards on 51 receptions. Steve Smith was 6 yards shy of 1400 yards last year with a rookie QB and no other WR to speak of.

You can't compare Jacoby Jones to any starting-caliber receiver in any receiving category, IMO. There is too much statistical variance.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Um, you remember what he did against us in the playoffs seven months ago, right?

- C -
    The fumbled punt was an out of the ordinary occurrence for him.

Just like Rice coughing the ball up in the playoffs against Pitts in 2009 and Heap against the Colts in 2006.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 07-30-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

From Tony's update:

Jacoby Jones quit on a 9 route. Graham didn’t and made an outstanding catch deep in the end zone for the touchback.

Speaking of Jacoby Jones, just when you thought that he was settling in nicely and showcasing decent hands, a pass caroms off his mitts and into those of LB Albert McClellan who took it to the house for a pick 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    If we don't bring in recievers because they have dropped passes then we may as well play the wishbone, because every reciever even the best drops passes. This thread is a little over the top.
    Way over the top. I have completely disagreed with a lot of moves the Ravens have made over the years...but I have never basically started "I told you so" threads in freaking training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While I agree with your overall "wait and see" approach, this line is disingenuous. Comparing a guy who has 179 career receptions in 5 seasons to a guy who has averaged over 110 receptions per season (Welker) during that same time period. Jacoby Jones' top receiving performance was 2 season ago with 562 yards on 51 receptions. Steve Smith was 6 yards shy of 1400 yards last year with a rookie QB and no other WR to speak of.

You can't compare Jacoby Jones to any starting-caliber receiver in any receiving category, IMO. There is too much statistical variance.
    It was just a stat to show that the guy isn't Patrick Stonehands Johnson out there.

In any rate, I think drop rate is a solid stat as it is the only one that takes into account the number of catchable balls thrown someone's way. Is he going to drop some balls? I'm sure he will. Just like every WR out there. But instead of dreading him dropping a late 4th quarter pass, maybe he helps blow some close games open for us? The guy brings some skills here that we haven't had in a while.

Blog Entries

Way over the top. I have completely disagreed with a lot of moves the Ravens have made over the years...but I have never basically started "I told you so" threads in freaking training camp.

It was just a stat to show that the guy isn't Patrick Stonehands Johnson out there.

In any rate, I think drop rate is a solid stat as it is the only one that takes into account the number of catchable balls thrown someone's way. Is he going to drop some balls? I'm sure he will. Just like every WR out there. But instead of dreading him dropping a late 4th quarter pass, maybe he helps blow some close games open for us? The guy brings some skills here that we haven't had in a while.
    Like I said earlier in the thread, I am not a real big fan of the signing because I've never thought he was a very good receiver, but if he can produce 35-45 receptions and 500 yards as a #3 receiver, then great. He's got speed and he's tall (6'3" 210lbs) and he can jump really well. All he needs to do is catch a deep pass or two in a game to make other defenses pay attention to him and take some heat off of Boldin and Torrey. That alone will help the offense.

I just think about him on the Texans and they had a pretty good QB in Schaub and they had a better ground game and a better #1 receiver than the Ravens currently have and he was just kind of a disappointment. Lots of natural ability, but really inconsistent. Also, considering who the Ravens have developing receivers, I doubt that Hostler is going to be able to do much more with him than what he already brings to the table. The Ravens are not very good at developing receivers.

Blog Entries

any stat that has opinion entwined with it seems a little less strong imo. when someone calls something "catchable" that can vary between opinions as much as black and white. who deems what is and isnt catchable and is that something that can be undeniably carried out across the board? probably not. maybe my unfamiliarity with it is leaving out something?

with that said i do think he can help the offense even by being only moderate at being able to catch the ball. theyll have to respect his speed regardless if hes catching everything or not because its a TD or nothing. you leave him open hes going to catch it more often than not. teams dont respect that, it wont take long for him to prove it true.

The Ravens are not very good at developing receivers.
    I do think this will change now that we have an actual QB. still a wait and see at this point but i do think Flacco has that ability mildly at the moment despite our system thats not the most WR friendly.
    -JAB

Good Post. and right on.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I am not a real big fan of the signing because I've never thought he was a very good receiver, but if he can produce 35-45 receptions and 500 yards as a #3 receiver, then great. He's got speed and he's tall (6'3" 210lbs) and he can jump really well. All he needs to do is catch a deep pass or two in a game to make other defenses pay attention to him and take some heat off of Boldin and Torrey. That alone will help the offense.

I just think about him on the Texans and they had a pretty good QB in Schaub and they had a better ground game and a better #1 receiver than the Ravens currently have and he was just kind of a disappointment. Lots of natural ability, but really inconsistent. Also, considering who the Ravens have developing receivers, I doubt that Hostler is going to be able to do much more with him than what he already brings to the table. The Ravens are not very good at developing receivers.
    I don't doubt that if we asked him to start he would be a big disappointment.

But he definitely won't be starting here and frankly, I'm not sure he has the 3rd spot all to himself and wrapped up right now.

That's part of why this thread is ridiculous to me...we don't even know his role or the roles of his main competitor for that 3rd spot right now...Doss.

I'm not saying I think it was a great signing or that I expect the guy to be great in the 3rd spot, but I am saying he is better than what we had out there for the 3rd spot last year.

Blog Entries

Come on, you guys know me, you know that I sometimes have fun with it. Then again, you guys probably know me and know that I will run this into the ground if it manifests itself in-season. lol.

Doss is interesting, because although I wanted to see him get more playing time for his pass catching ability, he is systematically a similar fit to that of Boldin and the way they are now trying to use him more. I heard that Doss is more explosive now, but I'm not sure how much more explosion a known possession WR can gain. Then again, they ran this offense for three years with Mason as the primary WR and his speed left him years prior (Was never really a 'blazer' anyway).

That is one reason why I think that Torrey got the push over him. Torrey was much more of a systematic need. However, Jones now represents something very similar. Which is why he could end up as the third, unless he 'completely' blows it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore