Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Kyle Boller Retires (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I remember when he was cheered because he was hurt in a game at M&T. He never said a bad word or never made any foul statements towards fans or the Ravens when he walked away.
    He was not a great QB but the dude could hurl the football through goal posts from his knees.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    I was at the Colts game. Half the crowd was cheering, and then fights started breaking out in different parts of the stadium between haters and supporters. It was crazy seeing Ravens fans fighting Ravens fans LOL.
    I always wanted to see the tv broadcast of that game to see what the announcers reaction to the cheering, if it was audible to them

Re: Kyle Boller Retires (Merged)

I wish Kyle well. Yes, he played with a lot of heart and took all that heat in stride.

As for signing with the Chargers, maybe they were looking for a camp arm and he decided he wasn't up for it.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Re: Kyle Boller Has Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    We also need to remember that in Boller's first year during the Rams game he was blind-sided and injured, in which I am almost certain NO rookie would overcome such a violent and unsuspecting blow. No wonder he had happy feet the rest of his career. just sayin'
    Ironically, also a game where it looked like Boller was about to light up the field. One of his best performances that never fully occurred.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Kyle was a good guy and will live a life that all of us could only dream of.... (Millions in the bank, Super Model wife, chillin' by the pool in his California Mansion, and a Ferrari in the driveway). As much as we make fun of him, he is a better Quarterback than 99.9% of Football players that walk the earth. There were only about 45 guys in the world who were better than him in any given season he played. Just another way of looking at it.

I think it was a game against the Jets, where he (or maybe somebody else? don't remember) fumbled the ball, and he ended up diving on it in traffic about 10 yards away from where he'd been. What other quarterback dives on loose balls?

That dude had heart. I hope my kids, in whatever sports they choose, play with that much passion.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think you're confusing passion with busting you butt to try to make up for your screw-ups. A QB fumbles the ball or throws braindead interceptions he should be diving and tackling to get that ball back

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    I think you're confusing passion with busting you butt to try to make up for your screw-ups. A QB fumbles the ball or throws braindead interceptions he should be diving and tackling to get that ball back
    I hadn't noticed he fumbled the ball sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed 'Em and Heap View Post
    As my illustrious title as a Newbie indicates, I haven't been on this forum very much, so I don't know what the general consensus is around here on the Pro Boller, but regardless of our opinions of his on-field performance, I think we should all be able to wish him well. I don't think he would have ever amounted to anything more than an average starter, but he was handled poorly and was thrust into a situation with a ton of pressure and few tools to work with. And yet, he always put up with the bile and the sometimes vindictive press (think Mike Preston) in a classy way, and despite the hilarious gaffes and head-scratching decision-making, you never got the feeling that he'd quit or that he cared any less on his last day as a Raven as he did on his first. Good luck, Kyle. Here's hoping for a good post-football life for a good guy.
    Agreed. Let's see, he had Ogden to protect him, but little else (Mulitalo was decent.) He had Heap as a reliable receiver, and little else. He was on an offense built to be a running team. He had Cavanaugh as OC for several seasons. He played hard, but he was running against the wind, IMO.
    Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Agreed. Let's see, he had Ogden to protect him, but little else (Mulitalo was decent.) He had Heap as a reliable receiver, and little else. He was on an offense built to be a running team. He had Cavanaugh as OC for several seasons. He played hard, but he was running against the wind, IMO.
    It makes you wonder how much has changed since then. Flacco has Cameron for a coordinator, one reliable TE, a better WR group I suppose, but still on an offense focused on running the ball.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I was part of the "give him time" chorus in 2003 and 2004. I was hopeful that he would mature into a decent starting QB. In hindsight, those that wanted to move on from him after year 1 were right. You just cannot teach accuracy. And I don't recall a QB that fumbled the ball without anyone touching him more often. It was one of those fumbles, against Denver, in 2005, that did it for me.

Boller seemed like a nice enough guy, he never complained, and he took a ton of abuse, nationally and locally. Much of it was earned, though.

In the end, Newsome and Billick rolled the dice with Boller and lost. Billick once commented that if you screw-up the first round QB pick, you set back your organization five years. He was right (unfortunately).