Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Aside from the Usual OL Issues, Are the Ravens Evolving This Season?

Not sure exactly how to say this, but since I'm now a resident of North Cackalackee, extensive information and updates on the team are pretty much limited to what y'all (forget "yunz" down here!) are reporting and talking about on the board. Obviously there are issues with how the OL will play out, and losing Suggs is a challenge.

BUT (Beau's big butt!), I'm also reading stuff that I don't recall from other seasons, at least not so much in any given season -- lots of guys are reporting in shape, Flacco sounds like he's found "it", receivers are catching all kinds of stuff, no major training camp injuries (knock on wood), old guys like Reed and Lewis are rarin' to go....

I guess I just don't recall a year when the pre-season was sounding like some of the basics were happening simultaneously. Granted, if the OL is a mess, all bets are off, but I really like hearing what you all are saying/posting/reporting. Some questions--

--Am I too optimistic?

--Is "everyone" under contract? Where does the team stand with the CAP?

--Is this the year we stop seeing the "we need to draft a franchise QB" threads when Flacco has an off game? Is this the year he "breaks out"? (notthat his performance has been all that shabby to date)

Thanks from the megalopolis known as Granite Falls! ;)

Blog Entries

Re: Aside from the Usual OL Issues, Are the Ravens Evolving This Season?

Flacco is the big contract they have to get done and they have a year to do it. Once that's done they'll be fine cap wise.

This is probably the last year of the Billick players. Reed's contract is up after this season and Ray is really up there in age. I don't see either with the team next year.

Hopefully this is also the last year of Cam's offense. Another middle of the road ranking with both Flacco and Rice costing so much should get him fired.

Suggs is the final big story. Will there be a good pass rush without Suggs for most of the season? When Suggs does come back will he be effective after so much time off?

A lot of endings this year that will lead to a very different team in 2013. Enjoy it

Blog Entries

On the face of it losing two good players happens to every team every offseason, but Ray Lewis and Reed have been such key players, that it's going to make the face of our team seem so different. Going to miss the days of seeing #52 line up barking orders out to the defense. But I think we should be in good hands, I just hope Suggs comes back strong, because it will be up to him and Ngata to lead this defense once Ray and Ed are gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    On the face of it losing two good players happens to every team every offseason, but Ray Lewis and Reed have been such key players, that it's going to make the face of our team seem so different. Going to miss the days of seeing #52 line up barking orders out to the defense. But I think we should be in good hands, I just hope Suggs comes back strong, because it will be up to him and Ngata to lead this defense once Ray and Ed are gone.
    This is a reason why the Ravens will (should ?) win the Super Bowl this year. While it may increase Flacco's contract, it should also allow Ray and Ed to retire on top. The balance of power, defensively, will shift when Suggs comes back healthy in 2013. Then Ray and Ed can sit in the owner's box, watching Ngata/Webb/Upshaw/McClain/Kindle/McPhee/J. Smith/etc... Bc

Blog Entries

I think this is going to be year that the offense explodes. I'm not sure if anyone has read this article, but it's worth checking out. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ies/index.html

No quarterback was the victim of the officials' yellow laundry more in 2011 than the Ravens' fifth-year starter, Joe Flacco. Instead of enjoying the best passing yardage season of his career and continuing his fourth-straight season of improvement, Flacco's 3,610 yards was his second-lowest total (although still within 12 yards of his best and second-best). Missing from his numbers were the 244 yards lost to defensive pass interference calls that would've netted him him a total of 3,854 yards, second-most in franchise history. Once again, that lost yardage was credited to the team in terms of penalty yardage but neither Flacco nor his intended receiver got anything. In fact, 160 of those forgotten yards can be accounted for on just three plays, a 60-yard and pair of 50-yard bombs to speedster and 2012 fantasy breakout candidate, Torrey Smith, who finished 2011 with 841 yards. Add in the gains lost (but really earned by both he and Flacco), and lo and behold, Smith becomes a 1,012-yard receiver for the year and much higher on the fantasy value totem pole.

Smith is just one example of a number of wide receivers who lost at least one game's worth of productivity to defensive pass interference. His Baltimore teammate Anquan Boldin was victimized six times for 73 yards.
    I think Flacco is going to have a "break out" year where he throws for 4k+ yards. The younger guys like Torrey, Pitta, Dickson, etc have a year of solid game time under their belts and a full camp to mature. Plus, the addition of Jacoby Jones is going to help. He's got great speed even if his hand's are questionable. I just really hope Cam opens up the offense this year and runs more plays out of a spread formation. We have the offense for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    This is a reason why the Ravens will (should ?) win the Super Bowl this year. While it may increase Flacco's contract, it should also allow Ray and Ed to retire on top. The balance of power, defensively, will shift when Suggs comes back healthy in 2013. Then Ray and Ed can sit in the owner's box, watching Ngata/Webb/Upshaw/McClain/Kindle/McPhee/J. Smith/etc... Bc
    That's the goal. It's also why last year was so disappointing. Everything went the Ravens way last season. Not sure if the road is that easy this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't really know about that. I think the Ravens are already transitioning away from Ray Lewis as the face of the franchise to Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs. I think the Ravens PR team has done a great job of phasing him out by putting more emphasis on other players. I think its by design that Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs are emerging as locker room leaders in the media. We still get a healthy dose of Ray but if you notice we see more of Suggs and Rice on the talking head shows before or after big games. There was a stretch where any feature story that featured the Ravens involved Ray Lewis. That's not really the case anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's the goal. It's also why last year was so disappointing. Everything went the Ravens way last season. Not sure if the road is that easy this season.
    GOTA, you're 100% right. It seemed as if (IMO) the Ravens could beat the Pats and then the Giants too. Just a couple of bad plays (no need to rehash) squashed that dream. It will be more difficult this season, but not impossible.
    Even without Suggs, this is a solid team, with quite a few talented young players who are ready to step it up. I am in a positive, optimistic mood... Bc

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

"I am in a positive, optimistic mood... Bc"

I love it when you talk dirty like that!:happyanim

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    "I am in a positive, optimistic mood... Bc"

I love it when you talk dirty like that!:happyanim

Blog Entries

Last year set up so well. They should have defeated the Patriots and the Giants were one team that they could have run the ball on, because the Giants best package was that Nascar package.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

this year... too soon to tell

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!