Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    When and how did they restructure him? I only saw that they were talking about it (along with Ben and Colon etc). I had yet to see that they did it (unlike Ben and Colon). I can't find the report or details, but yeah if they did restructure then they could have pushed more into the future and limited the savings they could have had in 2013 by releasing him.
    They restructured him last year with the rest of the team.
    Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison have restructured their contracts to help the Steelers get under the salary cap and perhaps free some room to sign players, the Post-Gazette has learned.
    But that said, over the past few hours I have been digging and there are some details I was not aware of. They actually can release him and save a good bit of money, and they definitely will. I wasn't aware of that roster bonus.

His cap number is 10.686, and they can save 8 million by cutting him, leaving 2.686 in dead money.

A lot of his bonus money was paid out before the restructure last year, and that is why they can get out of that one relatively unscathed. Not so with a lot of the others.

Of course, they have no one to replace him on the roster, along with the other players they will be cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    They restructured him last year with the rest of the team.

But that said, over the past few hours I have been digging and there are some details I was not aware of. They actually can release him and save a good bit of money, and they definitely will. I wasn't aware of that roster bonus.

His cap number is 10.686, and they can save 8 million by cutting him, leaving 2.686 in dead money.

A lot of his bonus money was paid out before the restructure last year, and that is why they can get out of that one relatively unscathed. Not so with a lot of the others.

Of course, they have no one to replace him on the roster, along with the other players they will be cutting.
    Ok, I missed the restructure announcement, but looks like they didn't go hog-wild pushing a ton to the future years. I agree completely with your overall assessment about the (un)affordability of franchising Wallace (and even to some extent signing him to a long term deal). I was just curious about the Harrison statement because I had read (and thought interesting) that there is a decent chance that he gets released next year unless he either a) lights it up this year, or b) takes a paycut. When I had read that it surprised me, and I figured it wouldn't even be a consideration if there wasn't some kind of cap savings. Either way, like you say, the Steelers are stretched beyond thin on a relatively small number of marquee contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Ok, I missed the restructure announcement, but looks like they didn't go hog-wild pushing a ton to the future years. I agree completely with your overall assessment about the (un)affordability of franchising Wallace (and even to some extent signing him to a long term deal). I was just curious about the Harrison statement because I had read (and thought interesting) that there is a decent chance that he gets released next year unless he either a) lights it up this year, or b) takes a paycut. When I had read that it surprised me, and I figured it wouldn't even be a consideration if there wasn't some kind of cap savings. Either way, like you say, the Steelers are stretched beyond thin on a relatively small number of marquee contracts.
    I'm putting together a spreadsheet now and have been researching all the details of their big deals, and from the early results it looks like another round of restructuring everyone under the sun/along with cuts to slide under...again. That is all well and good for now, but it is extremely high risk if anyone gets hurt or does not perform.

The bonus money portion just keeps getting bigger...and bigger...and bigger and then they are in a spot where they pretty much can't release those players with any savings. It also creates massive cap numbers relative to the players value, which even if it is only a couple million here or there trickles down to the rest of the roster eventually. And when you do it with 6-8 players year after year, it adds up.

Back to work.

It's simple. Please follow. They chose Brown. MW grew up dirt poor. Got his tender will sign it in November for 6 games. Like VJ did, will accrue a season. Will he know the NEW offense? Do the Steelers want a headache? 5 months later at worst in March he will have about 10 million in hand for next year if Steelers keep him or alot more if dealt. THEY have to deal him, they can't AFFORD him. Steelers likely get 3rd or 4th for him cause of his contract. Broncos where going to take tender him, but he wanted between 10-11 million per year, they balked also. He in 7-8 months will be stupid rich
    And doesn't want to risk a knee in the meantime being his calling card is his Speed. So he won't play
    he has too, November and he doesn't have to be active to accrue time and can "pull" a hammy. He's
    gone. He has the Steelers by the balls, not other way around. 7 months from now he will have tons of money without really playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Jake Long on that list

Wow, now that would be a big signing!

Might never happen but I can dream :)
    Yea, obviously that would NEVER happen. Those guys are slated to be FA's, but I doubt most of them will. Esp the LT's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Almost every receiver corps in the NFL could say that, so it's not really fair to say "Sit Pitt's #1 and our WRs are better." I mean, I guess I get you're talking about the future whenever he's no longer with the team (assuming they don't sign him long-term). But that's still not really apples to apples. A lot can happen in a year. Last year we didn't think the Ravens had much at receiver behind Boldin...you can say the same about the Steelers now. Between now and next year, it's possible Sanders or someone else breaks out the way Torrey Smith did.

- C -
    I don't disagree with you on that at all. I was just very surprised to look at their WR depth chart and see so much unknown when we know that Roethlisberger likes to spread the ball around as much as possible. Todd Haley is probably going to temper that approach significantly, but it is still interesting. What once seemed like a promising and young WR unit for the Steelers now looks kind of shaky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    It's simple. Please follow. They chose Brown. MW grew up dirt poor. Got his tender will sign it in November for 6 games. Like VJ did, will accrue a season. Will he know the NEW offense? Do the Steelers want a headache? 5 months later at worst in March he will have about 10 million in hand for next year if Steelers keep him or alot more if dealt. THEY have to deal him, they can't AFFORD him. Steelers likely get 3rd or 4th for him cause of his contract. Broncos where going to take tender him, but he wanted between 10-11 million per year, they balked also. He in 7-8 months will be stupid rich
    And doesn't want to risk a knee in the meantime being his calling card is his Speed. So he won't play
    he has too, November and he doesn't have to be active to accrue time and can "pull" a hammy. He's
    gone. He has the Steelers by the balls, not other way around. 7 months from now he will have tons of money without really playing.
    If he comes back and accrues a season then the Steelers can't "deal" him because he'll be a UFA, IIRC. Unless they franchise him and then trade him, which hardly ever happens. I bet they offered Wallace and Brown pretty much the same contract and said whichever one signs is the long term guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If he comes back and accrues a season then the Steelers can't "deal" him because he'll be a UFA, IIRC. Unless they franchise him and then trade him, which hardly ever happens. I bet they offered Wallace and Brown pretty much the same contract and said whichever one signs is the long term guy.
    from what i read thats exactly what they did. reports were coming out that Wallace accepted it, but he didnt, there was just confusion because it was the exact same contract, so they assumed it was wallace that accepted it.

steelers make statement give mike wallace contract offer to antonio brown
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Wallace can get more than that on the open market. We all know this.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    hell probably end up around the same as vjax, obviously i dont think hes worth that but id be lying if i didnt think somebody would value him at that.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What once seemed like a promising and young WR unit for the Steelers now looks kind of shaky.
    I don't understand that, though. They're extremely good for what they are. Wallace is elite talent. Antonio Brown is an exceptional #2 and could probably play #1 well...I would bet he'd be nothing worse than an average #1 receiver. Sanders has looked good in limited action as their #4 receiver and I would bet he translates well as a #3. Even if he doesn't, Cotchery is nothing worse than an avg #3 and certainly makes a fine #4. They've got Heath Miller at TE who is a good pass-catcher. Their only weakness in the passing game is not having a great pass-catching RB.

Even if Wallace doesn't re-sign long term, pushing everyone up doesn't give the Steelers a bad receiver corps. It's not one of the best in the NFL, but if you take out pretty much every team's #1 WR that's always going to be the case. Their #2-#4 and TE are better than most of the rest of the NFL's group of the same. And even if Wallace doesn't re-sign long term, the Steelers may still have him for another two years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He won't get Fitz money, but like I said at the beginning of this thread, he's going to be paid as a top five receiver because that's what he is.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    He won't get Fitz money, but like I said at the beginning of this thread, he's going to be paid as a top five receiver because that's what he is.
    if spotrac is correct he just turned down top 10 money, and i dont doubt that hell get 10/year by some team in desperate need.

Wide Receiver Top Salaries Per Year
    -JAB