Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Steelers Ink Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    He runs one route. When he loses a step, he's worthless.
    You're right. I can't think of one single receiver who was really fast and could only run one route really well their first couple years and lasted really long in this league. I'm sure once he turns 32 and starts losing a step seven years from now, he'll be all washed up.

BTW, on the off-chance you missed the heavy sarcasm drip there, you're also wrong about the "one route" thing. Wallace caught 74 passes last year. Two of them were rendered meaningless due to penalties. Regardless, of those receptions, 49 of them were thrown less than ten yards in the air. He gained an additional 378 yards in YAC on those 49 receptions less than ten yards from the LoS. 29 of them went for first downs, and three of his eight TDs were on receptions caught less than ten yards from the LoS, including one from behind the LoS.

Toss in another 13 catches from between 10 and 19 yards and you've got just short of 84% of his receptions that aren't on go routes. Does Wallace run an incredibly effective go? Sure does. Is that the only route he runs well? Not even close.

He's a Steeler. Some of you folks need to get over your blinders and accept the fact that the team we hate more than anything actually has some pretty friggin' good players on it. As it happens, a few of them happen to be among the best at their position. Wallace is one of those, whether you like it or not.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Brown was excellent in the second half of last season and deserves his five-year, $42.5 million, it's not like Mike Wallace is in a Megatron situation where he is the teams most important weapon

Brown will have a good career and was team MVP, I just wish he would stop this messing of pointing and waving and acting like he's Superbowl MVP when he gets a first down. Just unnecessary

Blog Entries

Mike Wallace is probably pissed, and will probably want a trade. I can see a team giving up as high as a second round pick for him.

In some way this just has to make Mike Wallace not want to go to camp. Hell Mike Hold Out all you want!

Based upon the reports of the Steelers cap issues I think this will make it very hard for them to keep Wallace next year. If they Tag him they will have 17m tied up in receivers and they are already slated to be over the cap without Brown or Wallace's numbers included. They have kicked the can down the road with restructuring and not sure they can do it again.

I would love to see the Ravens cut Boldin and sign Wallace if he is a free agent next year. He and Smith on the outside would make the offense very difficult to defend.

Blog Entries

According to PFT the Steelers won't offer Wallace a contract next year and may try to trade him this year. He's a real pain in the ass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-pittsburgh/

After Brown signed his deal, Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote that there won’t be a new deal for Wallace. In other words, the Steelers are telling Wallace that his options are to sign his one-year tender and play this season for $2.7 million, or not to play at all.

If Wallace does sign that one-year tender, he’d become an unrestricted free agent a year from now. At that point, the Steelers could use the franchise tag to keep him, but Bouchette writes that there’s “no way” the Steelers will franchise Wallace. In other words, the Steelers have pretty much resigned themselves to getting one more year out of Wallace, and then letting him move on.

But will they even get another year out of Wallace? Not necessarily, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who writes that the Steelers could trade Wallace in training camp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    He's a Steeler. Some of you folks need to get over your blinders and accept the fact that the team we hate more than anything actually has some pretty friggin' good players on it. As it happens, a few of them happen to be among the best at their position. Wallace is one of those, whether you like it or not.

- C -
    So in your opinion anybody that thinks wallace isnt a top 5 wr is just hating because hes a steeler and doesnt know football? Somebody should tell ladarius to take off his purple shades and start reading football for dummies.

lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/

ill take the guys word that has had to guard them both, who happens to be a top 5-10 db in this league as well. Nothing hating about giving another player on the steelers credit where credit is due. To each their own.
    -JAB

If they trade him I see the CowBoys and Miami as the top spots , I do not see them signing him long term though this reminds me of Holmes all over again minus the weed.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    According to PFT the Steelers won't offer Wallace a contract next year and may try to trade him this year. He's a real pain in the ass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-pittsburgh/

After Brown signed his deal, Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote that there won’t be a new deal for Wallace. In other words, the Steelers are telling Wallace that his options are to sign his one-year tender and play this season for $2.7 million, or not to play at all.

If Wallace does sign that one-year tender, he’d become an unrestricted free agent a year from now. At that point, the Steelers could use the franchise tag to keep him, but Bouchette writes that there’s “no way” the Steelers will franchise Wallace. In other words, the Steelers have pretty much resigned themselves to getting one more year out of Wallace, and then letting him move on.

But will they even get another year out of Wallace? Not necessarily, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who writes that the Steelers could trade Wallace in training camp.

Or.... Wallace could wait till the 10th game to sign, the Steelers might trade him to some god for saken team, he could get hurt, Wallace knows he'll get paid, and it'll be more than 2.7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So in your opinion anybody that thinks wallace isnt a top 5 wr is just hating because hes a steeler and doesnt know football? Somebody should tell ladarius to take off his purple shades and start reading football for dummies.

lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/

ill take the guys word that has had to guard them both, who happens to be a top 5-10 db in this league as well. Nothing hating about giving another player on the steelers credit where credit is due. To each their own.
    Nowhere in there does he say Wallace is easily beatable. He just thinks Antonio Brown can be more dangerous to an offense, because of his versatility.

Basically, Mike Wallace is a dangerous option. But his biggest asset to that team is that you have to guard him on deep routes, leaving your underneath coverage lighter. So you send a guy deep with Wallace, maybe a S too. That's two guys covering Wallace, while Brown is 1 on 1 10-15 yards past LoS. That pass is going to Brown for a decent gain.

Wallace is just more one dimensional. He's still super dangerous, but Antonio Brown excels at a lot of things that Wallace doesn't do so well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carrollcountyraven View Post
    Or.... Wallace could wait till the 10th game to sign, the Steelers might trade him to some god for saken team, he could get hurt, Wallace knows he'll get paid, and it'll be more than 2.7.
    I'll withold judgement until I see how Wallace reacts to this, but I imagine this is just going to further that rift. He's not going to up and "oh crap, I better get in there now". He's going to play the negotiating game still.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carrollcountyraven View Post
    We saw that with Vincent Jackson. It's certainly possible.