Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens Sign Bill Bajema

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-billy-bajema/

Bajema, who started 12 games for the Rams in 2011 and 25 over the last three seasons, isn’t going to replace Pitta in the passing game. He had just nine catches last season and his career high of 14 is just about what Baltimore got from Pitta in Week 17 and the playoffs. His blocking could be useful in the running game, though, and he’ll have a chance to stay on as the third tight end once Pitta recover

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Sign Bill Bajema

Not surprised.

He's a good blocking TE. Not much of a pass catching TE though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

3. Re: Ravens Sign Bill Bajema

I think it's a solid signing and he can possibly remain on the team as the 3rd TE once Pitta returns

I would have liked Kris Wilson back.

5. Re: Ravens Sign Bill Bajema

It'd odd because he was with us all last year, played decently, and knew the playbook.

Ditto the sentiment on Kris Wilson; I thought he did pretty well in his limited role last year. Oh well, maybe Bajema will do a decent job, if he sticks. The Ravens may frequently need a blocking TE to play next to our LT ...whoever that's going to be...

Regarding Wilson, I suspect it comes down to special teams contributions. If you are going to bring him back, it's because you see a role for him on teams, and I suspect he just didn't offer enough there to stick. He was signed as a 30 year-old , essentially stepping in for Heap, as that veteran who could continue to help develop two young tight ends. I think they are past the need for that kind of veteran and he isn't a Devon Drew developmental type, and he doesn't offer enough on special teams. Bajema fills a different role as a decent blocker, but more so comes in with a reputation as a special teams contributor, particularly in San Francisco before he went to St. Louis. I saw that he played on every ST unit there.

Even down one tight end for the preseason, I like the logic of bringing in a guy like Bajema who could have more value as the year goes on, rather than bringing in Wilson as short term insurance.

I was pretty sure Wilson had a good reputation as a special teams guy.

Bajema in my opinion is a better blocker then Wilson. Wilson is a better overall player but if we are talking just blocking i'd give Bajema the nod and thats why i think he was signed.

Blog Entries

When Pitta is healthy again, then why carry 3 TEs anyway? If the 3rd TE is only used for blocking, then why not use a guy like Jah Reid as an extra Olineman? The opposition knows that it's highly unlikely that our 3rd TE will be involved in the offense, so I'd use an extra Olineman in his place. It would also allow the Ravens to carry an extra O/D/ST player, who might actually see the field. Does that make sense to you? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was pretty sure Wilson had a good reputation as a special teams guy.
    I believe you; I don't recall him doing much last year in that capacity, and I can guess how the coaches may have valued him, given he didn't get an offer to come back.

Wilson may have been signed last year as a 30-year old, but Bajema himself will be 30 this fall so it's not like we're replacing an oldster with a young buck. Only a year difference in age. And I'm pretty sure Wilson did contribute on special teams. So it seems to me the only possible advantage Bajema offers is he may be a somewhat better blocker. Then again, perhaps that's what the coaches are looking for at this juncture.