Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: AFC North News - Browns to be Sold?

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    This is good news for Cleveland.... and good news for the Ravens.

...... As for the impact on the Ravens, the Browns are the major reason why the AFC North isn't considered the premier division in the NFL. New owner + increased competitiveness = more viewership by the NFL, at large, and a hypercompetitiveness within the division.
    I don't see how a division competitor improving can be good news for the Ravens. I would rather see all three with losing records.

I'll agree that "more viewership by the NFL, at large" would be a good thing for Ravens fans once we see ticket prices substantially reduced and mandatory exhibition games eliminated. Otherwise: what's the benefit to Ravens fans more viewership by the NFL, at large?

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    As for the impact on the Ravens, the Browns are the major reason why the AFC North isn't considered the premier division in the NFL.....

Now somebody find a new owner for the Bengals, and this division will eclipse the NFC East as the predominant division in football (which, in my opinion, they are just because of the Ravens :))
    I disagree. The NFC East was the NFL's strongest division several decades ago, but has declined since Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder have run down their teams. The AFC North placed three playoff teams in 2011, is overall still the strongest.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports agrees:

Strongest division
    AFC North
    Three of the four reached last year's playoffs, with one (Baltimore) making it to the conference championship game. Pittsburgh went to three of the past seven Super Bowls, winning twice. Baltimore went to two of the past four conference championship games. So did the Steelers. Now, Cincinnati is starting to squeeze both, with a quarterback who, as a rookie last season, had to play 10 top 10 ranked defenses yet still finished 9-7. Yeah, I know, the Bengals were 0-8 vs. playoff teams, but four of them (twice each) were Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Anyway, there's strength at the top.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

The Browns were one of the great franchises of the NFL. It's horrible what to see what they've become. Would it be good for the Ravens? No, but it sure would be exciting to have another rival like the Steelers in the division. 4 classic games guaranteed every season would be awesome.

Yeah I heard that it's just an investor, but that city needs some boost to their sports franchises. Having another good team in the division can only make us better in the long term. I'm all for them changing the ownership if it means improving.

Blog Entries

He's already an investor in the Steelers. Why would he sell that interest for the same role on another team? Lerner is full of it. He's looking to sell out.

Yeah it doesnt make sense considering he is already in that role with a rival within the division. I would agree with your assessment, but I guess we are going to have to wait and see. I think this is more of a spill the beans at the moment by someone with knowledge of the situation, so there are probably bits of truth out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Browns were one of the great franchises of the NFL. It's horrible what to see what they've become. Would it be good for the Ravens? No, but it sure would be exciting to have another rival like the Steelers in the division. 4 classic games guaranteed every season would be awesome.
    I agree and Browns fans could use a break. Similar to a certain baseball team that needs a new owner, it would pump up the fan base like crazy. Not hoping for a tougher road for the Ravens but I'd like to see Cleveland get new ownership that is willing to invest

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Looks like this is indeed a sale and not just a minority stake .....

ProFootballTalk 1:16pm via Web

Holmgren confirms sale would transfer controlling interest in Browns from Randy Lerner to Jimmy Haslam

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

GOTA--
    Assuming this happens, does that mean that the new all-time Ravens rushing leader would be Jim Brown?;)

Blog Entries

Haslam is over 80. Knowing the Browns luck he'll buy the team then drop dead. His know nothing heirs inherit and the Browns fans are in the exact same spot they're in now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    GOTA--
    Assuming this happens, does that mean that the new all-time Ravens rushing leader would be Jim Brown?;)
    LOL! As much as I would love that since I think Jim Brown is the greatest NFL player of all time, I wouldn't wish a Colts situation on any city. Jim Brown would be the first one to want his legacy to stay in Cleveland.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Yeah, just funnin' ya!

Funny, though, imagine the whole can of "karmic disarray and emotional distress" worms that would open for the fans of Cleveland - "Are we a 'NEW' team, or do we retain our storied history?"

NFL networkjust reportedthat Haslam stated he was "100,000 Percent a Steelers fan. But he will keep the team in Cleveland."