Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Bryant McKinnie - Not at 1st practice, Oher at LT for now.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    It's not that they need the space to get a Flacco deal done, but it could help them get more creative with the structure and make Flacco's new deal more cap friendly in future years.
    So you're willing to go with thin, unproven reserves at OT...where if Oher gets hurt or the others don't perform could derail our season just for the option of MAYBE structuring Flacco's extension a little different?

Sorry, I'll take the depth and talent at OT for this year over possibillities of contract structuring for Flacco. If they want to get things done for them at a satisfactory amount, they can and will while keeping McKinnie.

The cap space stuff just sounds like grasping at straws for reasons to cut him because we are pissed at him for being the lazy guy he was before he got here. He isn't a headcase, by all reports last year, he was a model teamate. He has been fined for not being here so it's not like he hasn't been punished and the reality is that he's missed 4 days of camp...the season doesn't start for 5 weeks.

If something comes up that they wish to do and need the cap space, they can and will deal with it then. But cutting him now without there being anything in the works to be done with that cap space is not smart business.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So you're willing to go with thin, unproven reserves at OT...where if Oher gets hurt or the others don't perform could derail our season just for the option of MAYBE structuring Flacco's extension a little different?

Sorry, I'll take the depth and talent at OT for this year over possibillities of contract structuring for Flacco. If they want to get things done for them at a satisfactory amount, they can and will while keeping McKinnie.

The cap space stuff just sounds like grasping at straws for reasons to cut him because we are pissed at him for being the lazy guy he was before he got here. He isn't a headcase, by all reports last year, he was a model teamate. He has been fined for not being here so it's not like he hasn't been punished and the reality is that he's missed 4 days of camp...the season doesn't start for 5 weeks.

If something comes up that they wish to do and need the cap space, they can and will deal with it then. But cutting him now without there being anything in the works to be done with that cap space is not smart business.
    Like I said before: No value really in cutting him right now. Why not wait and see how the market shakes out knowing that you've got a $3.2 M card to play if you need to should a serviceable vet hit the wire.

This also gives them a chance to see what McKinnie has left in his heart. They invested a second round pick in Osemele, a third in Reid. If they can find the right combination without McKinnie as a starter, use the money elsewhere or cut him and bring him back for a lower number.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

At this point i dont think cutting him without doing your due dilligence around the league is very logical. He can be cut at any time if a better situation arises but it would be smart for the Ravens to let him show up and see what type of shape he's in. I'd also monitor the roster at the OT position as well as the health of Marcus Mcneil, Chad Clifton, etc, and also the trade market.

Because of his experience, natural talent, length, and arm length im more comfortable with Mckinnie at LT then i am with Oher there, at least a Mckinnie that's at least as engaged as he was last season. Ideally you want 53 gym rats but that usually never the case, the guy wants to do enough work to get by. While im not enthused about having a starting LT not be one of those guys its the situation we are because the Ravens havent drafted a guy for that spot(No fault of theirs, just hasnt happened).

As TL said, that 3.2 million is still a card in the Ravens back pocket but they should be a little patient in this situation

In the end (maybe I didn't read Tony's initial post that well), Tony and I seem to be in more of an agreement...I just think there is a MUCH higher probability that McKinnie stays and there probably won't be any more problems (outside of anticipating that he will fail the conditioning test and it'll take a while for him to get out on the field for TC).

I think at this point, unless he goes AWOL again or someone better than Chad Clifton AND healthier than McNeil miraculously gets cut, I don't see a better option...including relying on a 2nd year RT who can't get on the field and a rookie who was not drafted to be a OT.

The boy is back in town...here's the latest on McKinnie: LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Here we go again.

Hey, let's just throw in the rookie who most felt can't play OT in the pro's or the other guy who can't stay healthy out there at RT...and if they fail (and not to mention we'd have zero depth), hey, we only flushed one season down the toilet.

Sorry, I'd like to have a proven guy in there and have the young guys actually show at least in practice that they have beat the incumbent out.
    So what happens if Jah Reid, or Osemele outplay McKinnie in pre season games? Oh yeah we are still gonna go in with an overweight proven old player I guess. Jah reid has also never had health problems, it's only recently where he has become a little banged up. Right now we don't even know if McKinnie is going to pass his conditioning test, waiting to see about that one.

Sounds sketchy to me. He couldn't call the team himself? Throwing the bullshit flag on his story.

Once again, the mysterious lower back injury.

He better shit Tiffany cuff links this season if we're putting up with this bullshit again.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So what happens if Jah Reid, or Osemele outplay McKinnie in pre season games? Oh yeah we are still gonna go in with an overweight proven old player I guess. Jah reid has also never had health problems, it's only recently where he has become a little banged up. Right now we don't even know if McKinnie is going to pass his conditioning test, waiting to see about that one.
    Then you are grateful you have a appropriate depth. You know...depth is ALWAYS a good thing, especially at premium positions like OT.

He fell at home according the Aaron wilson who I assume met him at BWI as there are many quotes on his twitter page from Mickinnie. He got treatment back home and then came here once the pain was gone and could hopefully take his condioning test and practice.

He was carying his own bags without any signs of injury and says he wants to practice this week.

This is NOT a Gaither situation, he did not want to play here or practice or have any work ethic. McKinnie at least has dedication and wants to get back on the field. Aaron wilson also said he looks slim.

Look, everyone can sit around and gnash their teeth, but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is can he and the Ravens get right, and if so, can he get on the field and perform? If the answers to those are yes, then he'll play. If not, they'll make other arrangements. It is what it is.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Then you are grateful you have a appropriate depth. You know...depth is ALWAYS a good thing, especially at premium positions like OT.
    +1

:word
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap