Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Bryant McKinnie - Not at 1st practice, Oher at LT for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ohers not good, average maybe slightly above at best. Mckinnie is an above average T and when hes in shape and trying capable of being elite. Out of shape and only half commited he still showed flashes. The difference being oher at his best is equal to mckinnie at his worst. The real benefit is that mckinnie moved oher to rt and yanda back inside. It makes our whole line better without much improvement in actual play. I would argue hes a better pass blocker than oher but rb is ohers best trait. If oher moves back to LT yanda back to RT then were weaker than what we were, with players out of position or playing too soon. Mckinnie is a better option across the board, imo.
    Actually Osemele is expected to be the RT if McKinnie is cut, not Yanda. Jah Reid will be in the mix too, you have to give the young players a chance at some point. I don't get why you think McKinnie was above average last season, he was clearly below average, especially as a run blocker, he was one of the worst run blocking LT's in the league. I will give you that at best he can be a slightly above average pass blocker. To me, there really isn't much between Oher at LT and McKinnie at LT. They give up just as many sacks, pressures etc. Oher has more upside, is younger, faster, in much better shape, and a much more hard working guy.

McKinnie was one of the worse culprits in the short distance run plays last year, he was consistently getting pushed out of the way by better pass rushers, and Oher is a much better run blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Point is, if Oher is just the same as McKinnie playing LT, you may as well cut his lazy old ass, and give Oher another shot to prove him self on the left side, while saving some cap space.
    For me, at least, it's not as much an issue of Oher at LT, but if he is the LT, who's going to be the RT?

So, if Oher is as good as McKinnie, I'm OK there, but I don't know that Oher's replacement at RT is going to be as good as him.

Unfortunately, as I see it - warts and all - McKinnie is one of our 2 best OTs and we're probably better off with him around.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    For me, at least, it's not as much an issue of Oher at LT, but if he is the LT, who's going to be the RT?

So, if Oher is as good as McKinnie, I'm OK there, but I don't know that Oher's replacement at RT is going to be as good as him.

Unfortunately, as I see it - warts and all - McKinnie is one of our 2 best OTs and we're probably better off with him around.
    Yeah that seems to be the problem here, which explains why they bought in Steinbach in as they were likely thinking about moving Yanda to RT. But surely they want to try out Osemele or Jah Reid at RT, I mean if either of them excel there in the pre season games, I don't see the point in keeping him.

Actually Osemele is expected to be the RT if McKinnie is cut, not Yanda. Jah Reid will be in the mix too, you have to give the young players a chance at some point.
    KO is only playing RT right now because Reid and Harewood are hurt. If any is the favorite, it's Reid, who was drafted to be at RT. KO was drafted to be a G. It's only fans that are projecting him to play OT in the NFL. That doesn't mean that he can't, just that that opportunity will likely only come out of necessity.

It worked with Yanda, but he's still a far better G.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Actually Osemele is expected to be the RT if McKinnie is cut, not Yanda. Jah Reid will be in the mix too, you have to give the young players a chance at some point. I don't get why you think McKinnie was above average last season, he was clearly below average, especially as a run blocker, he was one of the worst run blocking LT's in the league. I will give you that at best he can be a slightly above average pass blocker. To me, there really isn't much between Oher at LT and McKinnie at LT. They give up just as many sacks, pressures etc. Oher has more upside, is younger, faster, in much better shape, and a much more hard working guy.

McKinnie was one of the worse culprits in the short distance run plays last year, he was consistently getting pushed out of the way by better pass rushers, and Oher is a much better run blocker.
    Here we go again.

Hey, let's just throw in the rookie who most felt can't play OT in the pro's or the other guy who can't stay healthy out there at RT...and if they fail (and not to mention we'd have zero depth), hey, we only flushed one season down the toilet.

Sorry, I'd like to have a proven guy in there and have the young guys actually show at least in practice that they have beat the incumbent out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was just as upset as most, but some of you are really being emotional right now.

Who cares about cap space at this point...what are you going to do with it at this stage? Where would our depth at OT come from? Who would then be our RT? If this happened near the start of the offseason, by all means, clear out the cap space and see what can be done to replace him.

If he reports, we have to just get through this season with him and then that's it.
    No value really in cutting him right now. Why not wait and see how the market shakes out knowing that you've got a $3.2 M card to play if you need to should a serviceable vet hit the wire.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    No value really in cutting him right now. Why not wait and see how the market shakes out knowing that you've got a $3.2 M card to play if you need to should a serviceable vet hit the wire.
    With the Rice deal, we already have space to sign a cut vet. Nobody is getting cut at this stage int he game that would have a huge cap number that we wouldn't be able to carry with the space we have. If a really good LT hits the market (which, let's be honest, is just extremely not likely to happen), THEN you can look into cutting him. But really, you could say that about most other positions on the team.

Blog Entries

With the Rice deal, we already have space to sign a cut vet. Nobody is getting cut at this stage int he game that would have a huge cap number that we wouldn't be able to carry with the space we have. If a really good LT hits the market (which, let's be honest, is just extremely not likely to happen), THEN you can look into cutting him. But really, you could say that about most other positions on the team.
    This. Plus, I would rather not go through another season of playing musical chairs with the offensive line.

But then again the newfound space could be used to help structure a Flacco extension.

FYI...for those members of the Bryant McKinnie fan club wanted to welcome him back, I'm told his plane lands today at 1:30, Southwest Flight 2101.

I don't think the lack of a Flacco extension is because they can't afford it with in the cap. They aren't bumping up against the cap right now and I doubt Joe's first year cap number will be above $9M...very doable with the space we have.

Blog Entries

I don't think the lack of a Flacco extension is because they can't afford it with in the cap. They aren't bumping up against the cap right now and I doubt Joe's first year cap number will be above $9M...very doable with the space we have.
    They opened up a bunch of cap space once Rice was extended. You're right. The cap space has nothing to do with Flacco's deal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They opened up a bunch of cap space once Rice was extended. You're right. The cap space has nothing to do with Flacco's deal right now.
    It's not that they need the space to get a Flacco deal done, but it could help them get more creative with the structure and make Flacco's new deal more cap friendly in future years.